Official SEC awards are coming out... [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Official SEC awards are coming out...

VandyChuck
03-10-2015, 12:06 PM
will update as @SEC updates their twitter. They're filing the info out slowly and one by one

POY: Portis
FOY: Towns
6th man: Booker
COY: Calipari

VandyChuck
03-10-2015, 12:06 PM
Dpoy: Wcs

VandyChuck
03-10-2015, 12:07 PM
Scholar athlete of year: Levi Randolph

VandyChuck
03-10-2015, 12:12 PM
The entire list

First Team All-SEC
Bobby Portis, Arkansas - F, 6-11, 242, So., Little Rock, Ark.
Willie Cauley-Stein, Kentucky - F, 7-0, 240, Jr., Olathe, Kan.
Karl-Anthony Towns, Kentucky - F, 6-11, 250, Fr., Piscataway, N.J.
Jarell Martin, LSU - F, 6-10, 236, So., Baton Rouge, La.
Jordan Mickey, LSU - F, 6-8, 235, So., Dallas, Texas
Stefan Moody, Ole Miss - G, 5-10, 179, Jr., Kissimmee, Fla.
Josh Richardson, Tennessee - G, 6-6, 200, Sr., Edmond, Okla.
Danuel House, Texas A&M - G, 6-7, 207, Jr., Fresno, Texas
Damian Jones, Vanderbilt -C, 6-10, 240, So., Baton Rouge, La.

Second Team All-SEC
Levi Randolph, Alabama - G, 6-5, 210, Sr., Madison, Ala.
Michael Qualls, Arkansas - G, 6-6, 210, Jr., Shreveport, La.
KT Harrell, Auburn - G, 6-4, 212, Sr., Montgomery, Ala.
Dorian Finney-Smith, Florida - F, 6-8, 218, Jr., Portsmouth, Va.
Marcus Thornton, Georgia - F, 6-8, 235, Sr., Atlanta, Ga.
Devin Booker, Kentucky - G, 6-6, 206, Fr., Grand Rapids, Mich.
Aaron Harrison, Kentucky - G, 6-6, 212, So., Richmond, Texas
Craig Sword, Mississippi State - G, 6-3, 194, Jr., Montgomery, Ala.
Jalen Jones, Texas A&M - G/F, 6-7, 223, Jr., Dallas, Texas

SEC All-Freshman Team
Anton Beard, Arkansas - G, 6-0, 190, Fr., North Little Rock, Ark.
Devin Robinson, Florida - F, 6-8, 178, Fr., Chesterfield, Va.
Devin Booker, Kentucky - G, 6-6, 206, Fr., Grand Rapids, Mich.
Trey Lyles, Kentucky - F, 6-10, 235, Fr., Indianapolis, Ind.
Karl-Anthony Towns, Kentucky - F, 6-11, 250, Fr., Piscataway, N.J.
Tyler Ulis, Kentucky - G, 5-9, 155, Fr., Lima, Ohio
Wade Baldwin IV, Vanderbilt - G, 6-3, 195, Fr., Belle Mead, N.J.
Riley LaChance, Vanderbilt - G, 6-2, 194, Fr., Brookfield, Wisc.

SEC All-Defensive Team
Marcus Thornton, Georgia - F, 6-8, 235, Sr., Atlanta, Ga.
Willie Cauley-Stein, Kentucky - F, 7-0, 240, Jr., Olathe, Kan.
Jordan Mickey, LSU - F, 6-8, 235, So., Dallas, Texas
Josh Richardson, Tennessee - G, 6-6, 200, Sr., Edmond, Okla.
Damian Jones, Vanderbilt -C, 6-10, 240, So., Baton Rouge, La.

SEC Coach of the Year: John Calipari, Kentucky
SEC Player of the Year:  Bobby Portis, Arkansas
SEC Scholar-Athlete of the Year: Levi Randolph, Alabama
SEC Freshman of the Year: Karl-Anthony Towns, Kentucky
SEC Sixth-Man of the Year: Devin Booker, Kentucky
SEC Defensive Player of the Year: Willie Cauley-Stein, Kentucky

Bubba
03-10-2015, 12:12 PM
i hope you arrogant Kentucky PRYKS and bottom feeding maggots take 1 trick pony willycs and cry a fking river.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/53299361.jpg

VandyChuck
03-10-2015, 12:15 PM
One notable omission IMO is Caruso from A&M. That kid makes that team go.

GoDores
03-10-2015, 01:35 PM
Kinda surprised to see Damian Jones make 1st team.

SkyAntoine
03-10-2015, 01:39 PM
This just in...Cauley-Stein wins SECFanatics.com Player of the Year!!! Yes!!!!1!!!!1!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VandyChuck
03-10-2015, 01:43 PM
Kinda surprised to see Damian Jones make 1st team..

His numbers went down further into the season, but he was getting SOOO much attention in the post, which I think in turn helped lead to the barrage of 3's that fell late in the season...something like 52% from 3 over the last 5 games.

VandyChuck
03-10-2015, 01:45 PM
This just in...Cauley-Stein wins SECFanatics.com Player of the Year!!! Yes!!!!1!!!!1!!!!!

Abuse of power...ABUSE OF POWER!!!!!!1!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!

VandyChuck
03-10-2015, 01:56 PM
Kinda surprised to see Damian Jones make 1st team.

Also, Damian was 2nd in the league in FG% and 3rd in blocks.

Bama_Man
03-10-2015, 03:06 PM
I was hoping that Levi would get first team All-SEC, but glad he got 2nd team and he deserved Academic POY. Such a wonderful kid, hope the best for him

I agree 100% with all the individual awards.
I have made my argument quite clear as to why Portis should have been POY, and he was.
KAT was obviously FOY
WCS another obvious pick for DPOY
Booker is the right selection for 6th man
Cal is by far and away the only choice for COY.

Guess the SEC agreed that the leading PER, leading scorer and best player on the second place SEC team deserved POY over a guy who averages less than 10 PPG and 8 RPG.

Bubba
03-10-2015, 03:15 PM
I was hoping that Levi would get first team All-SEC, but glad he got 2nd team and he deserved Academic POY. Such a wonderful kid, hope the best for him

I agree 100% with all the individual awards.
I have made my argument quite clear as to why Portis should have been POY, and he was.
KAT was obviously FOY
WCS another obvious pick for DPOY
Booker is the right selection for 6th man
Cal is by far and away the only choice for COY.

Guess the SEC agreed that the leading PER, leading scorer and best player on the second place SEC team deserved POY over a guy who averages less than 10 PPG and 8 RPG.

Agreed, well said.

Dawgilicious
03-10-2015, 03:39 PM
Yeah its hard to argue with any of the awards that were given out

kentubbybasketball
03-10-2015, 03:43 PM

I'm cool with it all. Congrats to everybody, including Portis, who is a likeable person no doubt. The fact that Cal doesn't have the best player means he should have been coach of the year. What a coaching job by him under those conditions. Not sure what happened with Anderson. To have the best player and not win the league is disappointing I'd imagine.

Bubba
03-10-2015, 03:46 PM
1 player doesn't make a team..... Ask Lebron why he had to Goto Miami with 2 other superstars to be able to win instead of doing it alone... Can't be done.

kentubbybasketball
03-10-2015, 03:47 PM
Right on, Willie. Right on.

Cauley-Stein told reporters, “Honestly, you can give him Player of the Year. I’ll take 31-0 any day of the week. I’d rather be undefeated than get Player of the Year.”

“They’re awards,” he continued. “I’d give them all up, for real. I came back for one reason and that’s the mission I’m on. All the other stuff is fluff to me.”

Definitely takes some of the luster away from any future awards from this league.

kentubbybasketball
03-10-2015, 03:48 PM
1 player doesn't make a team..... Ask Lebron why he had to Goto Miami with 2 other superstars to be able to win instead of doing it alone... Can't be done.

Who are you addressing? Who said one player did make a team?

As for UK, the great thing for us is that everybody that is on these awards lists could theoretically come back. Looking forward to seeing who returns and who finds success post-UK in the NBA.

Djshockley3
03-10-2015, 04:36 PM
How is Kenny Gaines not on all defensive team. That has to be a joke.

Bama_Man
03-10-2015, 05:34 PM
Maybe if Anderson had 9 McDonald's All-Americans to go with Anderson he could win more.....................

(You took a shot at Anderson, I am pointing out the fallacy of that logic)

Bubba
03-10-2015, 05:52 PM
Maybe if Anderson had 9 McDonald's All-Americans to go with Anderson he could win more.....................

Truth. Even though he's beat UK the last 3/4 years without the AAs, people act like it never happened. Talk about Anderson all yall want but he has UKs number.

If every coach had 9 MCD AAs I wonder who the real COY would be? Kinda like nascar, everyone has the best car, who's the best driver?

kentubbybasketball
03-10-2015, 06:39 PM
How is Kenny Gaines not on all defensive team. That has to be a joke.

Yeah multiple things don't make sense.

Its amazing that as good of a year as UK had we didn't get the most first team All-SEC guys. Awards are subjective, the results on the court are not.

GR8NESS
03-10-2015, 10:23 PM
One notable omission IMO is Caruso from A&M. That kid makes that team go.

Agree. I'm not sure he's a top 10 (or 18, WTF SEC) player but his stats and importance absolutely make him needing to be on an All SEC team.

Also think Andrew should have made it over his brother.

XPS
03-11-2015, 08:37 AM

Maybe if Mike Anderson had 9 bigmacs he wouldn't lose to three teams not good enough for the NIT Clemson-Florida and Tennessee or you would think the SEC POTY would be good enough not to let that happen.

Bubba
03-11-2015, 11:13 AM
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

silly puhssies. the butt hurt is strong in this thread. just stfu tuck tail and go celebrate being undefeated... for now.

K fans before awards - this guy this guy and this guy all say WCS is POY. everyone says WCS is POY. if God wore blue he would look like WCS. WCS can do everything in the world, he must be POY. without WCS we would only blow teams out by 10 not 20 and 30, etc etc etc.

K fans after awards - awards all are subjective. the coach must be terrible because he had the POY and still lost games. I cant believe the POY couldnt win every game he played in. the coach must suck. ha! that team couldnt win every game with the POY. that coach sucks. i'd rather be undefeated than win individual awards(yeah jacka$$, everyone would).

K fans reality - the coach that has had 0 AAs the last 4 years OWNS CALS SLIMY ASSSSS! ohmy! i must deflect and beat our chest about never losing a game. we're the best team in the world. who cares if we've had the best players in the country since Cal has been here and never went undefeated until now. we must keep defending the secret Cal is only the best coach because he always has the best players and players win games not coaches. we must use arrogant a$$$$hole logic because we really have no defense why Anderson owns Cal with subpar talent.

Bama_Man
03-11-2015, 12:13 PM
Maybe if Mike Anderson had 9 bigmacs he wouldn't lose to three teams not good enough for the NIT Clemson-Florida and Tennessee or you would think the SEC POTY would be good enough not to let that happen.

I wont go as far as Bubba, but Arkansas was #30 on KenPom, ESPN RPI at #22, and he is 10-6 over RPI Top 100, 1-2 v RPI Top 25 (both losses to UK), 4-4 v. Top 50.

He has zero losses to sub 150 RPI teams, and had his team finish second in the SEC. He does not have 1/5th the overall talent that Cal has, and you are gonna try and penalize him for losing to three pretty decent teams? Give me a break.

If you wanna talk about not succeeding with elite players, does 2013 ring a bell to UK fans?

XPS
03-11-2015, 01:28 PM
I wont go as far as Bubba, but Arkansas was #30 on KenPom, ESPN RPI at #22, and he is 10-6 over RPI Top 100, 1-2 v RPI Top 25 (both losses to UK), 4-4 v. Top 50.

He has zero losses to sub 150 RPI teams, and had his team finish second in the SEC. He does not have 1/5th the overall talent that Cal has, and you are gonna try and penalize him for losing to three pretty decent teams? Give me a break.

If you wanna talk about not succeeding with elite players, does 2013 ring a bell to UK fans?

when Mike Anderson ever reaches the final four and I have strong doubts that will ever happen then we can mention him with Cal some. Decent teams make the NIT. since your tooting Mike Andersons and Arkansas horn I'll bet you a sig or PayPal bet Arkansas won't make it to the sweet 16. No or yes will do no excuses necessary...

Bama_Man
03-11-2015, 01:59 PM
when Mike Anderson ever reaches the final four and I have strong doubts that will ever happen then we can mention him with Cal some. Decent teams make the NIT. since your tooting Mike Andersons and Arkansas horn I'll bet you a sig or PayPal bet Arkansas won't make it to the sweet 16. No or yes will do no excuses necessary...

WTF?
I was not putting Anderson in Cal's realm, I was simply responding to you guys taking shots at Anderson for losing some games. I came to his defense because he does not have 10 future NFL players on his roster, he is two at most. I dont believe Arkansas is great, and I might make that sig bet once the bracket comes out, but I am not saying Anderson is as good as Cal, just that Anderson did pretty good with what he had.

Not one UK fan has responded to my logical post about why people should consider Cal in the same tier as Coach K, Calhoun, Roy Williams, Rick Pitino or even Billy D. All of those coaches have won multiple national titles, and Pitino and Cal are the only two coaches to take three teams to the Final Four.

Cal is the best coach in the game at recruiting and getting elite kids to come to his school and make the NBA. He is a good X's and O's, strategy coach but not an elite one. Do you dispute that?

kentubbybasketball
03-11-2015, 03:21 PM

XPS, I care about you, so take a cue from me. Ignore him. You're wasting your time.

kentubbybasketball
03-11-2015, 03:50 PM
K fans after awards - awards all are subjective. the coach must be terrible because he had the POY and still lost games. I cant believe the POY couldnt win every game he played in. the coach must suck. ha! that team couldnt win every game with the POY. that coach sucks. i'd rather be undefeated than win individual awards(yeah jacka$$, everyone would).

Quoted for truth.

VandyChuck
03-11-2015, 06:40 PM
XPS, I care about you.

awwww

XPS
03-11-2015, 06:53 PM
awwww

Don't be jealous Chuck

kentubbybasketball
03-11-2015, 07:32 PM
X, I still don't get not winning with the best players. Mike Anderson had two first team All-SEC kids, and is sitting five games out of first place with basically a three game losing streak, after getting lucky at USC.

XPS
03-11-2015, 07:43 PM
X, I still don't get not winning with the best players. Mike Anderson had two first team All-SEC kids, and is sitting five games out of first place with basically a three game losing streak, after getting lucky at USC.

Plus his best team at Arkansas with two first team all-sec players manages to get blown out three times this year. Mike Anderson is a very average coach. One elite 8 and one sweet 16 appearance and barley a winning record in the SEC and 0 ncaa appearances to this point??????? Kt I'm done with this his record does all the speaking for me.

Bubba
03-11-2015, 08:43 PM
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

K fans talkin about luck!?!?!?!?! yeah, yall will need every ounce of luck in the world to win the NCAA this year. keep talkin about luck, because yall need it the most.

if Arkansas was lucky vs SC bottomfeeders, then K was lucky against OM and LSU.

Bubba
03-11-2015, 08:48 PM
Cal must be the luckiest shtty coach in the country. he rides the coattails of his players but is owned by an "average" coach. Anderson whooped his A$$ last year TWICE with pretty much the SAME TEAM.

yall can hate on Mike all you want, but Cal cant hold his jock the last 5 years on the court. we'll see what happens next year or in the SEC tourney.

kentubbybasketball
03-11-2015, 10:17 PM
kt I'm done with this his record does all the speaking for me.

True. When you have the best coach in the country the record does speak for itself. We have him patrolling our sidelines. How many more years do you think Cal will be here. He's wearing himself out. He's looking old.

hawgwild
03-11-2015, 11:36 PM
LSU and Kentucky are the only teams with two players on the first team. Qualls did get 2nd team though.

Dawgilicious
03-11-2015, 11:41 PM
What makes him the best coach, because he can have 9 McD AAs? If that was the case he would never lose to Robert Morris in the NIT. There are a lot of real good coaches, but to decidely call him the best is a little too much. Good? yes, The best? Not so sure

joehogjoe
03-12-2015, 01:21 AM
Right on, Willie. Right on.

Definitely takes some of the luster away from any future awards from this league.

Sour grapes if ever there was. Portis won because he doesn't have gross neck tattoos.

kentubbybasketball
03-12-2015, 06:52 AM
LSU and Kentucky are the only teams with two players on the first team. Qualls did get 2nd team though.

Thanks, hawg. I didn't realize that. Given the criteria used for a POY, I don't understand how UK even got two first All-SEC players and why it was WCS and KAT. There's a reason this league lags beyond the others all the time. The decision-makers don't know what they're doing.

Anderson has the best player. I'd imagine he would have won more than he did. D had the best player last year and didn't lose a game.

XPS
03-12-2015, 08:36 AM
[QUOTE=kentubbybasketball;1866391]

Anderson has the best player. /QUOTE] :rotf:

kentubbybasketball
03-12-2015, 08:44 AM
Yeah I can't believe it either. Whatever the difference in stats is you would think that a five-game lead would balance all that out. Either way I like Portis. Have you read up on all the issues he's had growing up? I know his mom is really proud, and whether he leaves this year or next, whether he's successful in the NBA or not, he's already a big time success.

Bama_Man
03-12-2015, 01:01 PM
You guys are such whiny little girls. Anderson DID have the best player in SEC play, he proved it by leading the conference in scoring and PER. Portis does not have the ceiling that Harrison twins, WCS, Towns, Lyles, Ulis, etc... have but as of RIGHT NOW, Portis was the best player in the conference.

Quit whining because your guy, who was TOTALLY UNDESERVING of the award, did not win it. Grow up. That is some childish ****.

Bama_Man
03-12-2015, 01:04 PM
What's funny is that I have made KT look so foolish about this issue, he is trying to get XPS to not engage with me. You are one petty, petty, sorry man KT, I feel bad for you.

VandyChuck
03-12-2015, 01:31 PM
Kentucky fans gonna be Kentucky fans.

XPS
03-12-2015, 01:40 PM
You guys are such whiny little girls. Anderson DID have the best player in SEC play, he proved it by leading the conference in scoring and PER. Portis does not have the ceiling that Harrison twins, WCS, Towns, Lyles, Ulis, etc... have but as of RIGHT NOW, Portis was the best player in the conference.

Quit whining because your guy, who was TOTALLY UNDESERVING of the award, did not win it. Grow up. That is some childish ****.

In my mind Karl Towns Jr is the best player in the conference and pushing for the overall #1 draft pick. There is no doubt Karl Towns Jr is the reason UK is undeafted.

XPS
03-12-2015, 01:41 PM
Kentucky fans gonna be Kentucky fans.

And Vandy fans are gonna be, oh wait Vandy has fans????????

VandyChuck
03-12-2015, 01:59 PM
Thank you for perfectly illustrating my point.

Bubba
03-12-2015, 02:50 PM
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

the justifications are so ignorant arrogant and completely foolish its comical.

cry little btches, cry.

Bama_Man
03-12-2015, 02:52 PM
In my mind Karl Towns Jr is the best player in the conference and pushing for the overall #1 draft pick. There is no doubt Karl Towns Jr is the reason UK is undeafted.

I think Towns is the best player in the nation, but he was not the SEC Player of the Year. Towns would be my #1 pick, and he has such a high ceiling he can be a very dominant NBA player. But Portis led the conference in scoring and had a higher Player Efficiency Rating than Towns, so its not as if Portis was not outstanding this year.

XPS
03-12-2015, 03:09 PM
I think Towns is the best player in the nation, but he was not the SEC Player of the Year. Towns would be my #1 pick, and he has such a high ceiling he can be a very dominant NBA player. But Portis led the conference in scoring and had a higher Player Efficiency Rating than Towns, so its not as if Portis was not outstanding this year.

Towns sacrificing his minutes to have a special team doesn't diminish him from being the best player in the SEC. We will agree to disagree.

kentubbybasketball
03-12-2015, 03:41 PM
What's funny is that I have made KT look so foolish about this issue, he is trying to get XPS to not engage with me. You are one petty, petty, sorry man KT, I feel bad for you.

Awwwww. Don't be mad. I'm not.

You haven't made me look foolish. I just refuse to give attention to what you have to say anymore. You've made your point, and I've made mine. As X let you know, we can agree to disagree.

kentubbybasketball
03-12-2015, 03:43 PM

I concur to a point. I think WCS was the most impactful player for us thru the non-conference season. As we got into the meat of conference play, KAT became teh most impactful. Gun to my head, I'd still say WCS was the POY by a small margin. KAT would have been my #2. Now, as you say in terms of who the better player is I'd go with KAT for sure. The best player rarely wins the award... look at this year for instance and even last year.

Fortunately, we have both players.