2015 Coaching Carousel Thread [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Coaching Carousel Thread

kentubbybasketball
03-05-2015, 08:40 AM
The coaching carousel has officially begun. Well, I supposed it began months ago with Stew Morrill announcing his retirement from Utah State, which is a good job. Today Liberty let Dale Layer go. I wouldn't be shocked to see Layer end up with Buzz Williams at Va Tech. Liberty could go to an assistant coach.

Does Anthony Grant survive at Bama?

Dawgilicious
03-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Austin Peay also announced a few days ago that Dave Loos would return for a 26th season.

Dawgilicious
03-05-2015, 03:09 PM
KT, What is your feeling on Tom Crean and Indiana? Today the AD came out and said it is "bullish" to think that his tenure is reliant on one game vs Sparty on Saturday.

To me, I think it wouldn't make much sense to replace him (not even counting the huge financial buyout). They have missed multiple players for extended amounts of time and they are still a young team. I think some of the fans still think it is the 1980s where they were winning 25+ games a year and dominating the conference. Before the season they weren't really looked at as a NCAAT team, but are basically in the conversation as the calendar turned to March. Also, they would be spending a large chunk of cash to bring in a new coach also. Just don't understand the reasoning behind people that want him replaced

kentubbybasketball
03-05-2015, 04:01 PM
It is Indiana. They expect the best. If Bill Guthrie felt pressure at UNC (2 final fours in three yrs), Tubby felt pressure here (national title), and Howland felt Pressure at UCLA After three final4 who knows what I do know is that Tom Crean's very rude with the way that he deals with people many IU fans do not like his personality and he does not win enough to be that way.

Dawgilicious
03-06-2015, 12:54 AM
Is minnesota really better off with Pitino over Tubby? They dont seem like they have gotten better with that coaching change

kentubbybasketball
03-06-2015, 03:47 AM
Obviously not. That is what Norwood Teague gets. Tubby won an NCAAT game. Our first since 1997. Pitino better start winning.

Dawgilicious
03-06-2015, 04:23 AM
Yeah i think we talked about it when it happened, did not think it was a smart move at that time

kentubbybasketball
03-06-2015, 11:51 AM
Here's the thing. Some people thought Tubby had taken our program as far as he could take it, but I think last year he would have been in the NCAAT, instead of settling for the NIT title as we did. Tubby had them ranked #8 the year he was fired. That is huge at Minnesota, and nothing to sneeze at. Teague deserve to be fired, if the Pitino experiment doesn't pan out. He'll get credit for the job Kill is doing with football, but remember Joel Maturi hired him for football.

kentubbybasketball
03-06-2015, 03:20 PM
Holy Cross lets Milan Brown go. This is another case where a school looks bad. They only gave Sean Kearney one year there, and then this happens.

Dawgilicious
03-06-2015, 04:49 PM
I guess 5 years was enough for Holy Cross. He should of stayed at the "Mount"

georgiaguy31015
03-08-2015, 09:01 PM
If Indiana gets in to the tourney I don't think Crean gets fired.

kentubbybasketball
03-08-2015, 09:55 PM
AD Glass said he won't be fired already. The natives are restless tho.

georgiaguy31015
03-08-2015, 10:04 PM
Yea but that could be considered the dreaded vote of confidence lol. AD's don't always tell the truth and like you said the natives are restless and if they get left out of the big dance they are going to be more than restless. Also, what do you think about Missouri's coach? They were at best terrible this year.

Dawgilicious
03-08-2015, 10:21 PM
Look at what Missouri lost from last year's team. He replaced almost all of their production, while also missing a lot of guys due to having to suspend them and qualification purposes. Kim Anderson is a good coach and his blood is Missouri. Some of the games you saw some potential, but in others they didn't play consistently. His core is really young and once they get an extra off season with the same staff they will continue to get better.

kentubbybasketball
03-08-2015, 10:53 PM
Yea but that could be considered the dreaded vote of confidence lol. AD's don't always tell the truth and like you said the natives are restless and if they get left out of the big dance they are going to be more than restless. Also, what do you think about Missouri's coach? They were at best terrible this year.
He will get more than one year.

As for IU, he wouldn't have made those comments if he didn't mean them. To go back now would be awkward.

Dawgilicious
03-08-2015, 11:09 PM
Utah Valley head coach Dick Hunsaker is stepping down. 205 wins at Utah valley and brought them over to D-1. Also was head coach at Utah and Ball State.

Penn has parted ways with Jerome Allen after 5 seasons. A Penn graduate, took over after the interim tag was removed. 64-103 in his tenure. That is a tough tough job

kentubbybasketball
03-08-2015, 11:27 PM
Penn is easier than most ivy schools due to tradition.

Dawgilicious
03-08-2015, 11:57 PM
true, hard when you are dealing with a lot of the other philly schools for recruits. Right the ivy is basically Harvard and everybody else fighting for consistency. Yale has a year here or there, but nobody can consistently compete for the league year in, year out

MissKitty
03-09-2015, 02:36 AM
IU will expect more than a tournament win. Or maybe I should have said it'll take more than a tournament win to save Ctean's job.

Dawgilicious
03-09-2015, 03:07 AM
IU will expect more than a tournament win. Or maybe I should have said it'll take more than a tournament win to save Ctean's job.

I agree, but you have to realize where you are and not think of what you used to be. It is helpful to understand it isnt always going to be at a UK level, as much as Indiana fans don't want to hear that. I mean when he got the job they were in such a mess. IF they fire him they are paying out of the world to pay him off and then upwards of 3 mil a year for a new coach

kentubbybasketball
03-09-2015, 08:24 AM
It doesn't matter where they were when Cream came since he already rebuilt it with a 1 seed team and two straight Sweet 16s. They've slid back on his own watch.

Dawgilicious
03-09-2015, 02:32 PM
So thats merit to fire him? Is Cal taking that job, Roy Williams? I mean who in the Coaching market will merit that kind of money and actually come? They also havent been healthy or deep all season. When people look at the record, you have to look deeper than that and that is what the AD did. Everybody always wants people fired, nobody has patience for anything anymore in this world

kentubbybasketball
03-09-2015, 03:23 PM
Why is that always your defense. It was the same thing when GD88 was wanting to fire Fox. It doesn't matter if Cal or Roy Williams are taking the job. You can still find quality coaches without it being a Hall of Famer. Of course, Roy and Cal aren't taking the job. Maybe Michael White will. Maybe Steve Prohm will.

Look, end of the day, I'm the one that posted the AD's comments. I know he's not being fired. The only point I'm making is you said he inherited a mess... TRUE. He already rebuilt from that mess though, so it doesn't matter. That's like saying Cal inherited a mess from Billy Gillispie... well, Cal dug out of the mess, so it doesn't matter. Crean has dug out of the mess, and they have sense regressed. If you want to defend Crean talk about all the player attrition issues he's had, which give a fair excuse for the performance this year, but to blame this on what Sampson did is irrelevant at this point, since Crean already dug them out of that hole.

Don't come at me with the "everybody wants people fired." GM32 and everybody who's been here for any time, know that I hate when coaches get fired. I was the one that wanted to give Dennis Felton extra time. I just took issue with your comment that Crean inherited a disaster.

Dawgilicious
03-09-2015, 04:52 PM
Fine they can go ahead and do that. Are either of those guys worth 3 mil? NO, and people wanted fox fired and look what has happened when you stick with a guy. See the season we are having even with tons of injured players and guys being booted before the season. Michael White has proven nothing, same as Prohm....It is laughable that he actually believes they deserve a bid. I am sure the Indiana fan base would be just ecstatic about a mid major coach coming to their school with all of their history. Are either of those guys better than Crean?

And everybody does, I guess you need to get out more once you are off of work because whenever one or two seasons aren't great its always we need a new coach,etc......Same thing at GT, Gregory should be fired cause they have lost like 10 ACC games by one or two possessions, but the record is all that matters. it doesnt matter that his kids graduate or that they are clean off the court....The nation is so impatient about everything nowadays, they think everybody can pull a UK and go from average to Final Four good instantly.

Personally, I dont care what the hell Indiana does, I only care what Duke and Georgia do with their coaches and players. I may concern myself with other programs that have a story to follow, but Indiana will do what they are going to do and their crying fans will keep complaining. I can see it now, new coach will come in and struggle, then they will say he should be fired too

kentubbybasketball
03-09-2015, 08:00 PM
For you to not care or concern yourself, you sure seem to have a staunch opinion. lol

Again, it's not about Prohm and White. Both of those guys are just as capable of coaching at a high major level as the typical coach is from a successful mid-major. But, to answer your question are they better than Crean. Who knows? How do you quantify such for that matter. All I know is that coaches build their own legacy. Who's to say getting Michael White wouldn't be better than what they currently have. Sometimes you make tough decisions and you get better. I doubt Kansas is looking back firing Ted Owens who was solid for Larry Brown for instance.

Herchel
03-10-2015, 01:48 PM
UIC fired Howard Moore.

GDawg88
03-10-2015, 04:11 PM
It was the same thing when GD88 was wanting to fire Fox.
I've never really wanted Fox gone. I was probably just ranting during a game.

Felton, on the other hand, I wanted gone during most of his final two years at UGA, as I'm sure you recall.

kentubbybasketball
03-10-2015, 06:46 PM
I've never really wanted Fox gone. I was probably just ranting during a game.

Felton, on the other hand, I wanted gone during most of his final two years at UGA, as I'm sure you recall.

Thanks for clarifying that but it just annoys me when Dawg says well Cal or Roy won't come so why fire somebody else. How many Cals and Roys are there anyway.

As far as Felton. I remember. Lol. I remember defending him more than the other UGA fans

Btw, I'm so glad you've posted a lot this season. We've missed you the last few seasons. You add to the quality of the board. You know your stuff and are so respectful. Lucky to have you here.

GDawg88
03-10-2015, 06:55 PM
Thanks for clarifying that but it just annoys me when Dawg says well Cal or Roy won't come so why fire somebody else. How many Cals and Roys are there anyway.
Indiana can clearly get a good coach. Their program was in the dumps when they hired Crean, who was considered a major commodity at the time.

Crean was probably a little bit overrated in hindsight. His one Final Four appearance came when he had a transcendent player in Dwyane Wade. The rest of his career has been solid, but far from spectacular. Indiana can do better.

kentubbybasketball
03-10-2015, 07:03 PM
That DWADE final four was aided by Keith Bogan being injured for Kentucky at that. Those other Marquette teams made one sweet 16.

Why shouldn't Indiana expect the best? I'm not saying that's not Crean, but Crean has regressed from his own high water marks of 2012 and 2013.

kentubbybasketball
03-10-2015, 07:04 PM
It'll be the same with UCLA by the way. Steve Alford worked over UCLA to get that crazy buy out. How IU and UCLA have put themselves in these positions with those hefty buy outs is beyond me.

Dawgilicious
03-10-2015, 07:49 PM
I guess those 2 guys have good agents...lol

kentubbybasketball
03-12-2015, 06:18 PM
I wonder how Nevada being open affects UGA. GD88 or pc do you guys have any idea with the Mark Fox connection and all. You would think he could maybe help one of his assistants like Pearson get the job if he had some pull there still. Pearson has been an interim head coach in this league before at Bama. He deserves a shot at a job somewhere.

Dawgilicious
03-13-2015, 03:37 AM
If we lose Pearson it wouldn't be too bad, just gives Fox another opportunity to bring in a high level assistant

Dawgilicious
03-13-2015, 03:38 AM
Looks like Murray Bartow's run is over at ETSU as reports are surfacing that he has been fired after a 16-14 record this season. He had a solid run at UAB and put ETSU in the NCAAs on multiple occassions

Herchel
03-16-2015, 05:36 PM
Apparently GT can't afford to fire Brian Gregory. They are still paying Hewitt. :rotf:

kentubbybasketball
03-16-2015, 07:07 PM
Hewitt could have two buy-outs then.

Herchel
03-17-2015, 07:32 AM
Hewitt could have two buy-outs then.
He does. GT is paying him $900K/year, and George Mason $700K/year. Not bad for failing. I think GT still owes him >$3M, and Gregory's buyout would have been $3.4M.

georgiaguy31015
03-22-2015, 09:51 PM
I was shocked that Gregory didn't get fired absolutely shocked.

Dawgilicious
03-30-2015, 01:29 AM
Looks like Mullin is taking the SJU job. Interesting since he has ZERO head coaching experience. Big East Loyalists will love the hire, but can he recruit and win games enough since they parted with Lavin who won a good amount of games and recruited pretty good. They graduate a bulk of their scoring and rebounding

kentubbybasketball
03-30-2015, 06:46 AM
Sounds like Fred Hoiberg to me.

Dawgilicious
03-31-2015, 05:50 PM
Good comparison, I just think everyone knew The mayor would be a coach and a good one. I guess we will see on Mullin

Dawgilicious
03-31-2015, 05:50 PM
Mark Pope is taking over at Utah Valley

Also looks like Travis Ford is a 50-50 shot at getting fired by Ok State

deterp
04-01-2015, 09:49 AM
Rick Barnes is going to TN. Huh? That's what's being reported this morning. Didn't see that one coming.

kentubbybasketball
04-02-2015, 05:29 PM
Apparently, Texas' AD is already in Richmond (has been there since 3 pm). Sounds more and more like Shaka Smart to Texas will happen.

msudawg4life
04-02-2015, 05:34 PM
Great move on his part...cash in while your stock is high. Think he will be over $5 million per year? or low $4's?

kentubbybasketball
04-02-2015, 05:38 PM
Who knows? I think nobody deserves that much money to coach basketball, but in terms of the actual market for how coaches are paid, sure.

GoDores
04-02-2015, 11:05 PM
With Shaka going to Texas, I guess it's time for me to move on. :cry:

Who is the better coach? Who would you rather have, Shaka or Marshall?

I think it's tough to go wrong with either and I think I have a different answer for those questions. I think Marshall might be a little better coach, but I think I'd rather have Shaka based 100% on the style he plays. Love it.

TexasFight
04-03-2015, 01:55 AM
I know next to nothing about Marshall, but I've always been a big fan of Shaka Smart; the man and the coach. I think Coach Smart is the kind of guy players want to play for; not only for his system, but for the man himself. He's going to bring a level of excitement and passion that the basketball program has never seen before. Barnes was a good coach for a long time, no doubt, but he wasn't nearly the charismatic leader Shaka Smart is and will be at Texas. He'll also have the opportunity to recruit the kind of athlete he just couldn't get at VCU, so I think we'll see all of his talents on full display. I'm really excited for the future of Texas athletics with Shaka Smart and Charlie Strong leading the way. I can't wait to see our team play next year, but I wish Myles Turner would've elected to stick around another year. I'm certain he would've benefited from another year period, but I imagine he would've done so tremendously with Coach Smart.

kentubbybasketball
04-03-2015, 03:38 AM
With Shaka going to Texas, I guess it's time for me to move on. :cry:

Who is the better coach? Who would you rather have, Shaka or Marshall?

I think it's tough to go wrong with either and I think I have a different answer for those questions. I think Marshall might be a little better coach, but I think I'd rather have Shaka based 100% on the style he plays. Love it.

Your splitting hairs asking who is better in these cases. Shaka is a more likable guy (ask people at Winthrop lol). Shaka also has an identifiable style. I just hope Patterson doesn't screw Shaka.

Dawgilicious
04-03-2015, 03:53 AM
I bet Winthrop still wishes they had him cause they havent done anything close to what they did with Marshall. Not a coaches job to be liked anyways. Thats the same way with bosses. Their job is not to be liked, it is to get desired results :)

kentubbybasketball
04-03-2015, 03:22 PM
I bet Winthrop still wishes they had him cause they havent done anything close to what they did with Marshall. Not a coaches job to be liked anyways. Thats the same way with bosses. Their job is not to be liked, it is to get desired results :)

Your point is not being argued. If you want to argue the side point start a new thread. The larger issue here is that some are a little surprised Texas focused on Smart and not Marshall. I'm just giving a potential reason for why that might be the case.