Kentucky @ Georgia Game Thread [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky @ Georgia Game Thread

kentubbybasketball
02-28-2015, 06:27 PM
Probably our toughest road game of the year ahead of Louisville and obviously Texas A&M.

I wanna go undefeated but if I had one team in the SEC to lose to it would be Georgia. Nothing but class from their players and coaches and fans. It's always been that way mo matter the coach or sport.

This time around we can't let Mann just goad us into fouls.

Dawgilicious
02-28-2015, 07:19 PM
This will be interesting. Should be sold out. UGA calling for a black out....We need the JJ Frazier from Miss St cause we are going to have to hit a lot of 3's

kentubbybasketball
02-28-2015, 08:22 PM
Everybody's had a black out vs us. That being so familiar will make it feel like a home game. Lol

The "Go Big Blue" chants at road games have been fun this year this will be a different animal. Maten played well. Thornton didn't dress. Djurisic always plays well vs us.

SCgamecock2988
02-28-2015, 08:31 PM
Toughest road game lmao. We beat UGA twice. Modesty doesn't suite Kentucky fans well.

Dawgilicious
02-28-2015, 09:25 PM
We play to the level of the competition, hence the SC and AU home losses. Thornton missed both the UK and 1st SC game also. I expect us to give it our best chance and see what happens after 40 minutes are gone from the clock.

GDawg88
02-28-2015, 10:15 PM
This is a house-money game for UGA. Doesn't hurt us if we lose, but would lock up a spot in the Dance and dramatically improve our seeding if we win.

My guess is the Dawgs put up a strong fight but UK wins by about 10.

GR8NESS
02-28-2015, 10:25 PM
Headed down 85 and then making an exit to Athens for this one. Can't wait.

GR8NESS
02-28-2015, 10:26 PM
Disagree about it being our toughest road game after UofL. Imo, LSU was tougher. That doesn't mean we might not lose, we might... But I think LSU played their peak game or near peak against us and there was much less blue in the house than you'll see in Athens.

Dawg in Dallas
02-28-2015, 10:32 PM
After watching Kentucky today, they'll win by 15 plus.

MissKitty
03-01-2015, 02:36 AM
I watched most of the UGA /MISOU game tonight and thought the Dawgs looked good.

No doubt they will give us their best shot. Anything can happen on the road in the SEC.

I would love to see my Cats come out and dominate, but it's hard to do on the road.

Here's his for a fun injury free game.

Herchel
03-01-2015, 06:24 AM
I think we lost by 11 at Rupp. If both teams play their best, it will be a blowout. Hopefully UGA plays great and UK doesn't, but I doubt it. UK 75 - UGA 66.

kentubbybasketball
03-01-2015, 07:06 AM
This is a house-money game for UGA. Doesn't hurt us if we lose, but would lock up a spot in the Dance and dramatically improve our seeding if we win.

My guess is the Dawgs put up a strong fight but UK wins by about 10.

Wouldn't you agree the teams are built similarly. Granted, I'm not sure UGA is as deep or athletic inside, but look at the rest of the rosters. Both teams have unsually big backcourts with 6'5 point guards. Both have one very small point guard also in Frazier and Ulis. THere are bigs that can step out in Djurisic and even Thornton a little if he's left open. Our bigs don't shoot many threes, but WCS, Lyles, and KAT are all reliable if your give them a 17 footer. WCS is so improved in that regard, and Cal has to implore Lyles to take the shot.

What might help UK is what's helped us all day long this season. What happens when Thornton and Djurisic are going into their 26th or 27th minute of game action, and Lee and Johnson get in and are fresh after maybe half that? That could be the tale of the tape. This is the kind of game that Dakari Johnson thrives in. Arkansas wan. UGA wants to be more of a possession type team.

Speaking of LSU sure it got into a tight game, but we were up by 13 before a bad technical foul for a chin up. I doubt UGA is so gracious to allow us to get up like that, because of their style. Again, teams like LSU who want to up and down the court feed right into how we want to play. The only team that had success playing like that was Ole Miss, because they shot so well. UGA is going to force us into a slower game, where each possession will be important (aka Texas A&M). If we aren't making our first shot and/or getting offensive rebounds it could be a long night. It'll be a mucky game, unless UK imposes its will, and then I'd agree LSU is tougher. I just don't see UGA easily allowing that to happen though. It certainly didn't happen in Rupp (now, I do believe Lyles may have been out that game, which is important).

SkyAntoine
03-01-2015, 07:38 AM
This is the hinge game for me on whether we win out or not.

If the Cats come focused and with a killer mentality then we win by 15. If we get in early foul trouble and a couple of shooters have an off night then I still think we win a close one by maybe 5.

However, with Andrew playing aggressive, Lyles taking more shots and KAT becoming KAT I really, really, really like where we're at right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herchel
03-01-2015, 08:21 AM
UGA's only chance is to shoot lights out from 3. Our inside game isn't going to do much against UK. Maybe Frazier will go off for 37 again.

kentubbybasketball
03-01-2015, 12:59 PM
This is the hinge game for me on whether we win out or not.

If the Cats come focused and with a killer mentality then we win by 15. If we get in early foul trouble and a couple of shooters have an off night then I still think we win a close one by maybe 5.

However, with Andrew playing aggressive, Lyles taking more shots and KAT becoming KAT I really, really, really like where we're at right now.

I want Dakari Johnson to play well aslo. But, as you say if Lyles and KAT are playing well, where does that really leave Dakari? Lyles set his career high this week and then tied it yesterday again. As Bill Raftery said, his improvement is so clear. He is a matchup nightmare. There was one play where he took Qualls inside and just beat him back to the basket. Nobody that's a small forward can stop him. His versatility is something to behold. Just look. The last two games our first play was designed to get Lyles a dunk off the horn cut we've been running where he curls around a screen for an lob. It'll be interesting to see how UGA tries to defend him. If you double down on him, who do you really leave open?

Djshockley3
03-01-2015, 01:03 PM
If we play great, we have a chance. Pretty much sums it up.

joehogjoe
03-01-2015, 11:39 PM
Probably our toughest road game of the year ahead of Louisville and obviously Texas A&M.

I wanna go undefeated but if I had one team in the SEC to lose to it would be Georgia. Nothing but class from their players and coaches and fans. It's always been that way mo matter the coach or sport.

This time around we can't let Mann just goad us into fouls.

Lol at the total suck up

You're not going to lose to Georgia!

Djshockley3
03-01-2015, 11:51 PM
Lol at the total suck up

We have a better chance then Arkansas did.

MissKitty
03-02-2015, 12:26 AM
I would like to see Andrew pass more on the break and on the drive.

He did a good job of finishing against Arkansas yesterday. When he drives just looking to get fouled it drives me crazy.

To me if he starts passing up the court on the break instead of taking it himself and starts looking to pass on the drive nobody will beat us.

He's an awesome kid. I'm just a fan of pass plays and I believe that is the key to finishing undefeated.

xAuBuRn
03-02-2015, 01:01 AM
I would like to see Andrew pass more on the break and on the drive.

He did a good job of finishing against Arkansas yesterday. When he drives just looking to get fouled it drives me crazy.

To me if he starts passing up the court on the break instead of taking it himself and starts looking to pass on the drive nobody will beat us.

He's an awesome kid. I'm just a fan of pass plays and I believe that is the key to finishing undefeated.

Nobody can beat Kentucky in the SEC. It is going to come down to the final
Four IMO.

kentubbybasketball
03-02-2015, 07:12 PM
Lol at the total suck up

Nothing but respect for UGA. It has nothign to do with sucking up. It's not as easy to treat other program's with the respect that UGA deserves. Their fans don't come around here talking trash.

UGA plays the game that we hate. They will slow the game down to a halt if we allow them too. We still might be good enough to winthat way, but they won't be like Arkansas trying to speed us up, only to realize UK plays that style better than them.

Herchel
03-03-2015, 10:32 AM
In honor of tonight's game. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agKZmXamgF8

kentubbybasketball
03-03-2015, 03:26 PM
I had forgotten about that... I do remember who won though. lol

MissKitty
03-03-2015, 05:36 PM
I'm betting this blackout has big patches of BLUE through out the arena. Do you think we'll hear BBN chanting "GO BIG BLUE"?

MKfromPA
03-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Going to try and watch some of this game tonight. Firstly, I want to see Georgia play. Second, UGA is still in contention for an NCAAT bid. If they can get a win tonight, they will be in much better position. On the flip side, I want to see if UK can keep rolling along through the season.

Good luck to both teams tonight!

kentubbybasketball
03-03-2015, 07:37 PM
Ked, how have you been doing? Missed you the last few days around here.

MKfromPA
03-03-2015, 07:45 PM
Ked, how have you been doing? Missed you the last few days around here.

Pretty good, my friend. Was out of town late last week but now back in action.

I think Georgia is just about good for the dance. A win tonight probably puts them without doubt if they can take care of Auburn to close the regular season. They also got help from other bubble teams like Pittsburgh and Texas losing. The Panthers are probably out even with a miracle run, much to my dismay.

SkyAntoine
03-03-2015, 08:31 PM
Reports from inside the gym saying huge turnout from the Big Blue Nation. Nothing is sweeter than hearing "Go Big Blue" chants in away games.

I'm nervous but say Cats by either 6 or 24. I'll take either outcome.

GDawg88
03-03-2015, 08:43 PM
Pretty good, my friend. Was out of town late last week but now back in action.

I think Georgia is just about good for the dance. A win tonight probably puts them without doubt if they can take care of Auburn to close the regular season. They also got help from other bubble teams like Pittsburgh and Texas losing. The Panthers are probably out even with a miracle run, much to my dismay.
A win tonight would put UGA in regardless of what happens the rest of the season. They'll still be fine with a loss, but they would be advised to go ahead and beat Auburn to avoid making it interesting.

I don't see a chance in hell UGA wins tonight. It's a great opportunity nonetheless.

GDawg88
03-03-2015, 09:20 PM
Georgia looks tight. We're getting decent shots but short-arming everything. We have to make just about every open look to stay in this game.

Dawgilicious
03-03-2015, 10:09 PM
I dont think we can win this game with 1-8 3 pt shooting. Gotta make outside shots and Mann/Gaines have to get going

Djshockley3
03-03-2015, 10:10 PM
Tied at the half. UGA is playing pretty well, UK just has such a huge size advantage.

Dawg in Dallas
03-03-2015, 10:13 PM
I dont think we can win this game with 1-8 3 pt shooting. Gotta make outside shots and Mann/Gaines have to get going

I jyst watch this game and think UGA only has a chance if Kentucky gives them the game. Kentucky is so good and so big.

I will say Fox has a damn good game plan.

Dawg in Dallas
03-03-2015, 10:39 PM
UGA hanging in there thanks to bad offense by the cats. Suspect that will come to an end soon.

SCgamecock2988
03-03-2015, 10:44 PM
Georgia's going to win LOL

Dawg in Dallas
03-03-2015, 10:47 PM
Georgia's going to win LOL

I don't think Cal looks all that worried...

Dawgilicious
03-03-2015, 10:48 PM
JJ Frazier hit that from oconee county!

Dawg in Dallas
03-03-2015, 10:53 PM
So much for the 9 point lead.

Dawg in Dallas
03-03-2015, 10:54 PM
UGA might lose, but am very impressed with the game plan. Probably help themselves even with a close loss.

Dawg in Dallas
03-03-2015, 11:11 PM
Fun for 58 minutes.

GDawg88
03-03-2015, 11:15 PM
Mann and Gaines gagged big time down the stretch. Kentucky could have been had.

Dawgilicious
03-03-2015, 11:18 PM
We had 3 chances with 1-and-1's and missed all front ends. could have been 6 points right there. Missed Fts have been an achilles heel and it really hurt tonight. Kudos to Fox for the gameplan cause it worked for 50+ minutes

GDawg88
03-03-2015, 11:21 PM
We had 3 chances with 1-and-1's and missed all front ends. could have been 6 points right there. Missed Fts have been an achilles heel and it really hurt tonight. Kudos to Fox for the gameplan cause it worked for 50+ minutes
Fox coached a beautiful game. It's a shame that it was undermined by players who can't perform basic basketball acts.

Georgia just doesn't have big-time players who come through in crunch time. Kentucky does, and all the great coaching in the world can't overcome that difference.

GDawg88
03-03-2015, 11:23 PM
Take a walk, Frazier. This moment was way too big for you.

Dawgilicious
03-03-2015, 11:27 PM
Frazier just isnt healthy. Missing shots he would make a month ago.

Man, we had great plays called and get fouled, but our upperclassmen miss FTs when we need them

kentubbybasketball
03-03-2015, 11:29 PM
How Kentucky won this game, I do not understand. UGA helped out with those missed front ends. I hate one and one, but I love it today.

UK was down to one timeout the final 10 minutes, no momentum, on the road. Still won! That's gutsy and moxie. What a huge offensive rebound off the Aaron Harrison missed free throws by WCS. THat was the play of the game IMO. That gave us momentum. That's why he's the most influential player in the league. SEC Player of the Year. He showed up at the end.

Cal was outcoached tonight. This was the first time we had to adjust our defense because we couldn't hang with somebody. We went zone for a play or two.

I always think we are going to win, but when we got down 9, I was a concerned. Our defense took over late. Our size overwhelmed them on the glass at the end.

I always say we onlty need five guys to play well. Thankfully the twins, Dakari, and KAT were that today. Without Dakari in the first half, where would we be? I just don't get that when we got down 9 all of a sudden we remembered that we have KAT. We should have done that all game long.

The last minute of the first half was bad. We should have been up 7, instead of tied. But, to start the second half, Aaron was on fire.

I'm hoping UGA does well this season in the NCAAT. Thankfully, we won't see Djurisic again unless we do next week I guess.

We weren't at our best today. I mean you don't turn the ball over the first 27 minutes of the game, but you're not up 10.... make shots in the paint. UGA's craftiness was too much too handle on defense, and I think it started to get to us on offense. We have not missed shots like that inside in years.

SkyAntoine
03-03-2015, 11:32 PM
Wow...ridiculous game. Thought I was going to have a heart attack.

Georgia had the best game plan and played great for almost the whole game. We were lost offensively tonight and our defense looked average.

Maybe that was the game we needed to keep us in check. I know I don't want to play Georgia in the SECT.

kentubbybasketball
03-03-2015, 11:39 PM
Fox coached a beautiful game. It's a shame that it was undermined by players who can't perform basic basketball acts.

Georgia just doesn't have big-time players who come through in crunch time. Kentucky does, and all the great coaching in the world can't overcome that difference.

I think UGA sort of didn't keep their edge. So, I respectuflly disagree that the players can't perform basic basketball acts. Think about the play where WCS dribbled the ball off his foot with little pressure on him to go into a media timeout. UGA was up 52-45 at that point. I think UGA thought the game was over. UGA only had one good play after that, and that was the Maten offensive rebound over three UK players. I think UGA for whatever reason just stopped rebounding late. You guys had to outrebound us by 10, but the final 6:55, it was all UK. I'm not sure what the difference was between UGA before and after that moment. Obviously, UK's guys actually started playing, but UGA had us.

There is nobody in this league like Djurisic. Nobody. He uses angles, he's crafty, he's impossible to get around on screens (although we kept switching to no avail pretty much all game). He's got a good enough handle to drive from the wing. He oobvioulsy can hit the three. He did a number on us on those switches in the first half.

GD88, how do you feel about Fox's extension? I mean it's only for three more years after this one. THat doesn't sound like the greatest vote of confidence, and I'd imagine people will negative recruit with that.

XPS
03-03-2015, 11:40 PM
Karl Towns Jr once again proved when needed is the best player in the SEC and will challenge for overall #1 player in the draft.

MissKitty
03-03-2015, 11:41 PM
UGA Fans your guys played their hearts out. In the end they were exhausted. The depth of UK just wore them down.

In the first half when they were playing out of their minds, I didn't feel they could play with that much energy the entire game.

Good game and good luck the rest of the way.

Dawgilicious
03-03-2015, 11:43 PM
I dont think UGA thought it was over. Idk why they would even think that esp when you know UK is your opponent. You miss FTs like that and you are going to lose those games.

Its really been our story most of the season....missing key FTs late and inconsistent play from our supposed team leaders

Dawgilicious
03-03-2015, 11:44 PM
UGA Fans your guys played their hearts out. In the end they were exhausted. The depth of UK just wore them down.

In the first half when they were playing out of their minds, I didn't feel they could play with that much energy the entire game.

Good game and good luck the rest of the way.

Yeah we dont have the quality of depth as UK and that hurts

kentubbybasketball
03-03-2015, 11:46 PM
Wow...ridiculous game. Thought I was going to have a heart attack.

Georgia had the best game plan and played great for almost the whole game. We were lost offensively tonight and our defense looked average.

Maybe that was the game we needed to keep us in check. I know I don't want to play Georgia in the SECT.

I agree. The crazy thing is UGA didn't do anything all that special on Defense. They stayed between us and the basket on defense. I don't know why we couldn't do that ourselves the first part of the game.

The UGA offense was on a different level tonight though. UGA's movement with teh ball and off the ball with all the cuts was indefensible for us. I think the fact that they were scoring so easily got in our heads and made us rush some on our own offense. Nobody could make anything. The bigs coulndn't finish inside tonight, Ulis couldn't make an open three.

Dawg4life
03-04-2015, 12:04 AM
House money game. The worry to me would be if Georgia loses again to Auburn to end the reg season. Win at Auburn, then win a game or two in the SECT. Should be safely in then.

kentubbybasketball
03-04-2015, 12:08 AM
UGA is safe. Even if UGA manages to lose Saturday and in their first SECT game.

Djshockley3
03-04-2015, 04:58 AM
Charles Mann just sucks.

Still played the best team in the country down to the wire. Not upset with that loss, but UGA could have won. :facepalm:

kentubbybasketball
03-04-2015, 05:22 AM
Mann was killing us tho. He is the reason you got up 9. He was pent rating on us off those screens, turning the corner, drawing an extra man, and dishing the ball off. Good offense. Sure Mann missed two frontends late (an issue all year), but he came alive in the second half and deserves credit.

kentubbybasketball
03-04-2015, 06:57 AM
BTW, UGA launched a new student section called the Dawg Pound. I hope that crowd is as intense for UGA next year as it was last niggt. Obviously, it would make it harder to win there, but UGA deserves crowds like that always. I loved UGA before that game and reading Fox's comments only make me even happier. As I always say I hope the sect final comes down to us. Hope you guys make a deep NCAAT run.

The team is built for the future. The top 3 guards will be back. Parker will get untracked next year, too. Maten is a future All-SEC guy. He's played great both uk games.

I stand by statement that this was our toughest road game other than TAMU. Tougher than Louisville.

SCgamecock2988
03-04-2015, 08:09 AM
You know most teams pack it out for UK... our students do the same thing.

Herchel
03-04-2015, 09:42 AM
I am proud of our effort. Fox had a great game plan, and it almost worked. We were just out talented.

GDawg88
03-04-2015, 09:45 AM
kt, I'm fine with Fox getting an extension. The program is in a healthy place and should contend for a spot in the NCAA Tournament again next year.

kentubbybasketball
03-04-2015, 11:28 AM
Good. Glad you're behind you. You are as fair a fan as anybody I've ever known. If Fox deserved criticism you would give it. I just wish UGA would have given him more than two years to the one that's left.

MKfromPA
03-04-2015, 12:27 PM
A win tonight would put UGA in regardless of what happens the rest of the season. They'll still be fine with a loss, but they would be advised to go ahead and beat Auburn to avoid making it interesting.

I don't see a chance in hell UGA wins tonight. It's a great opportunity nonetheless.

Valiant effort by UGA. I thought the 'Dawgs were going to pull it off. No shame, IMO, really, that Kentucky came back to win. Georgia has a lot to hold its head up for. Good luck in the NCAAT. I wish you well and hope you represent the SEC well and win a couple (or more) games. :thumb:

MKfromPA
03-04-2015, 12:28 PM
Congrats to Kentucky on the win. Very impressive to end the game on a 14-0 run & holding UGA to 0 points in their final 7 possessions. No other way to describe it than: wow.

SCgamecock2988
03-04-2015, 01:22 PM
Yeah...wow. UK struggled with UGA. I was very shocked.

Bama_Man
03-04-2015, 01:48 PM
lord have mercy, WCS's four points last night mean he should be SEC POY LOL

Karl Towns has been the most dominant and best UK player this year (2015), he was responsible for leading the UK comeback last night. His big and-1 was the biggest momentum swing in the game, and he was a dominant force. KAT>WCS last night, in terms of overall production and momentum swings.

kentubbybasketball
03-04-2015, 02:24 PM
Congrats to Kentucky on the win. Very impressive to end the game on a 14-0 run & holding UGA to 0 points in their final 7 possessions. No other way to describe it than: wow.

I agree. It's like they decided to play from 6:55 on. Thankfully we have both WCS and KAT. Just like the Tyler vs Andrew debates two months ago. It's great to have both.

Who cares who played best last night. UK won. People trying to turn it into a WCS vs KAT are silly. One will be player of the year, the other frosh of the year.... BOTH ARE SEC CHAMPION! At Kentucky that's what matters.

GDawg88
03-04-2015, 03:02 PM
lord have mercy, WCS's four points last night mean he should be SEC POY LOL

Karl Towns has been the most dominant and best UK player this year (2015), he was responsible for leading the UK comeback last night. His big and-1 was the biggest momentum swing in the game, and he was a dominant force. KAT>WCS last night, in terms of overall production and momentum swings.
Cauley-Stein's slam on the missed free throw was a huge game-changer as well.

I'm incredibly impressed with Towns. He's got the most polished post game of any college player I've seen in years.

GDawg88
03-04-2015, 03:04 PM
Good. Glad you're behind you. You are as fair a fan as anybody I've ever known. If Fox deserved criticism you would give it. I just wish UGA would have given him more than two years to the one that's left.
I've criticized him at times, but this is the most stable UGA's program has been in a long time. We're one player away from being a real threat.

Herchel
03-04-2015, 03:10 PM

I'm incredibly impressed with Towns. He's got the most polished post game of any college player I've seen in years.
IMO, the game changer was Gaines' stupid foul on a layup that ended up being a 4 point play.

GDawg88
03-04-2015, 03:13 PM
IMO, the game changer was Gaines' stupid foul on a layup that ended up being a 4 point play.
There were a lot of things from that game I'm kicking myself over today. Kentucky didn't play their best, and the game was there for the taking.

kentubbybasketball
03-04-2015, 03:18 PM

That's exactly what I said. That offensive revound when you've got two UGA defenders hat could pinch you out of rebounding position was huge. Don't try to speak reason with him. You won't get thru although you are definitely astute in your knowledge.

Dawg in Dallas
03-04-2015, 03:26 PM
I agree with GDawg - Towns is awesome. Every level of BB is missing that sort of back to the basket presence, it is a lost skill set.

Congrats to Kentucky on the win.