1996 Wildcats vs 2015 Wildcats Thoughts [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Wildcats vs 2015 Wildcats Thoughts

MissKitty
02-26-2015, 02:43 PM
There is has been quite a bit of discussion about which team would win if these two met. There is no denying this 2015 UK Team is a great team. The thing is that 1996 team was in my opinion the best team ever assembled.

I absolutely LOVED that team. I love this team also, but I guess it's a little different because we had more experience on the 96 team and myself as a fan had more years to get to know those guys. The 96 team lost two games that year and both of those teams were Final Four Teams. Do you think this UK team has played a Final Four Team this year? Kansas? Maybe UNC? Even though they have absolutely killed people, I'm not sure if they have played a FF Team. Time will tell I guess.

If this team does somehow manage to go undefeated and win a NC I will eat my words. Unless that happens I'm gonna say "The Untouchables" would win.

Dawgilicious
02-26-2015, 03:05 PM
No, they have not played a FF team yet this season. The 96 team was better to me but they are really different teams. 2015 has un real size, but as an outsider the 96 team was better

MissKitty
02-26-2015, 03:23 PM
Thanks Dawgilicious, I tend to agree with you. It would be interesting to see how this UK Team would handle the pressure of the 96 team. It would either be a turnover fest or a dunk fest if they broke the pressure and attacked the basket.

You are correct in that our bigs this year are unreal. 96 didn't have the shot blockers, but those front court guys could step out and knock down 3s.

kentubbybasketball
02-26-2015, 03:31 PM
I've not really old enough to remember the two teams, but to me it's hard to compare. Pitino's team really didn't have a strong post presence. I mean, we had to trap and double Tim Duncan (Wake Forest) and Marcus Camby (UMASS) in the post to survive. Now, Pitino's team could really shoot the three, even Walter McCarty hit threes. Tony Delk had 7 threes in the title game vs Syracuse, so I don't really try to compare the teams. I want each UK team to be the last one standing for their year. This year's team can be deadly from three, but it's much more streaky. As a matter of fact I might argue of the two teams this team has the best individual shooter in Devin Booker.

Another part to this. That 1996 team had a chip on its shoulder due to losing to UNC in the Elite 8 the year before. That team decided it would win the national title right after that loss, and losing Rhoderick Rhodes the year before was addition by subtraction. Perhaps this current team has the same chip being 7 points from a national championship.

Gun to my head, I would say 2015 is better. If 1996 has to double down on KAT, that's leaving WCS or even Trey Lyles open. 2015 would overwhelm with size, especially if you allow for 2015 to have Alex Poythress. Antoine Walker vs Willie Cauley would be something to see.

VandyChuck
02-26-2015, 05:14 PM
Denim Cats would rout this years team. Just explosive offensively. I think they went on like a 20-2 run over 3 minutes against us at Memorial. (seemed like it at least)

I'll get nasty words thrown my way for saying this, but I don't think UK wins it all this year. maybe I eat my words, maybe I dont. The defense is great, but somebody could get hot against them. And the offense can struggle at times.

Bama_Man
02-26-2015, 07:19 PM
There is no doubt this is not the best offensive team in recent years for Kentucky, but its the best defensive college team I have seen in my lifetime.

I think the 1996 team is probably better, it had comparable talent but also guys with experience in big games. Tony Delk was one of the best college players I have ever seen and I am not sure either Harrison could guard him.

I think the 2015 squad has better interior defense and players, but the 96 team was one of, if not the best college team since the early 90s UNLV teams.

kentubbybasketball
02-26-2015, 07:30 PM
I'm not sure the big game experience thing favors 1996. This team has guys that played in the national title game. We have three starters from that. Does big game experience get bigger than a title game? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point.. But if you think Aaron Harrison doesn't have big game experience after hitting three game winning shots in the NCAAT, I'm not sure what will impress you from a big game experience perspective. If you actually want to argue big game experience,to me that favors this current team. This team has a coach with a national title and five final fours, as opposed to 1996 had a game with only two final fours to his credit at that time.

Chuck, every time you have a negative opinion you don't have to preface it with somebody's going to say something mean back. If it's Kentucky vs the field, I would probably take Kentucky too. Duh. That goes without saying, but if we're talking about a favorite it's Kentucky and it should be. Stop fishing for an argument always.

XPS
02-26-2015, 08:20 PM
96 team by 15 plus, as Bama said 96 Cats can be mentioned with the 91-92 UNLV teams. Also, people forget the 96 UMass team coached by Cal who was ever bit as good as the 96 Cats.

Bama_Man
02-26-2015, 08:28 PM
I'm not sure the big game experience thing favors 1996. This team has guys that played in the national title game. We have three starters from that. Does big game experience get bigger than a title game? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point.. But if you think Aaron Harrison doesn't have big game experience after hitting three game winning shots in the NCAAT, I'm not sure what will impress you from a big game experience perspective. If you actually want to argue big game experience,to me that favors this current team. This team has a coach with a national title and five final fours, as opposed to 1996 had a game with only two final fours to his credit at that time.

Chuck, every time you have a negative opinion you don't have to preface it with somebody's going to say something mean back. If it's Kentucky vs the field, I would probably take Kentucky too. Duh. That goes without saying, but if we're talking about a favorite it's Kentucky and it should be. Stop fishing for an argument always.

My point was that the 96 team had been in big games, close games, in the regular season with elite teams. Players like Towns, Ulis, Booker, etc... have never really even been tested so far against a great team. The team in 96 had been. It was not about overall experience, because both Harrison's played in the title game last year, but they are the only players on this year's squad that played in last year's Final Four IIRC. The 96 team had revenge on their minds and they all knew what it was like to get to the Final Four and come up just short.

Eleven players from the 96 UK team played in the NBA, and those guys had time to gel together over more than one or two seasons to become a true, cohesive unit.

But I don't believe the Camby UMass team was as good as the 96 Cats, they had such a dominant player in Camby but not as much help around him. UK beat them by like eight points in the Final Four that year IIRC.

The Sporting News ranked the 96 UK team as the best team in college basketball history, I do not believe the 2015 team is in that class.

CentralMSDawg
02-26-2015, 08:39 PM
I'll take the 1996 team over this year's. That would put MSU beating the best UK team of all time for the SEC tournament title that year.

XPS
02-26-2015, 09:04 PM
My point was that the 96 team had been in big games, close games, in the regular season with elite teams. Players like Towns, Ulis, Booker, etc... have never really even been tested so far against a great team. The team in 96 had been. It was not about overall experience, because both Harrison's played in the title game last year, but they are the only players on this year's squad that played in last year's Final Four IIRC. The 96 team had revenge on their minds and they all knew what it was like to get to the Final Four and come up just short.

Eleven players from the 96 UK team played in the NBA, and those guys had time to gel together over more than one or two seasons to become a true, cohesive unit.

But I don't believe the Camby UMass team was as good as the 96 Cats, they had such a dominant player in Camby but not as much help around him. UK beat them by like eight points in the Final Four that year IIRC.

The Sporting News ranked the 96 UK team as the best team in college basketball history, I do not believe the 2015 team is in that class.

UMass beat the 96 Cats by 10 in November.

Dr.SwineSmeller
02-26-2015, 09:30 PM
'96 was better. They had players on that team that had beaten Arkansas. I'm not sure this one has any.

GDawg88
02-26-2015, 10:22 PM
It's apples and oranges. The 1996 team was better in a vacuum. If this year's team runs the table then they will be better within the context of their era.

The '96 team could never happen today. Guys like Antoine Walker, Derek Anderson, Tony Delk, and Walter McCarty would have been long gone to the NBA by that point in their respective careers.

VandyChuck
02-26-2015, 10:49 PM

I'd rather argue about it. DENIM CATS 4EVER

joehogjoe
02-26-2015, 10:55 PM
96 would destroy this team. It would be ugly.

kentubbybasketball
02-27-2015, 01:18 AM

Sure every team has a Towns or Ulis that hasn't been tested, because every team has freshmen including 96. To talk about 11 guys being in the NBA really is silly since we're talking about the past. With this team who knows yet. Who on that 96 team had a great NBA career? Walker maybe was an All-star and Delk had a 52 point game but besides that sure 11 guys made the NBA, but are you really going to quibble with Jeff Sheppard having like a 32 game NBA career.

No offense but the idea you have that only the Harrison's played in the final four last year is simply false and wrong. Dakari Johnson started in both games last year. Marcus Lee played a major role in the final four also. To discount their experience is perilous if you're a future UK opponent. Dominique Hawkins Also Played in the final four.

Then you say 1996 "all" knew what it was like to get to the final four and lose. The only guys on that team with final four experience was the seniors that made it in 1993 as frosh. You're getting your teams mixed up. UK 's 96 team missed the final four in 94 and 95.

When you consider that 96 had stars like Ron Mercer, Antoine Walker, and even Derek Anderson that had only been at UK for one year your notion that 1996 gelled over the course of years is is wrong. I could argue the same thing about this team having sophomores, too.

Also, who knows where this team ends up? We know where 96 ended up. But I would say this 2015 team was a better defensive unit so yes it absolutely has a chance to stand up a against any team.

SCgamecock2988
02-27-2015, 09:02 AM
This site should be called UGA Fanatics (Football), UK Fanatics (Basketball), and some Arkansas fans (5 whole teeth between them).

Dawg in Dallas
02-27-2015, 09:16 AM
CBB was better in 1996. Now it kinda sucks. So I vote for the 96 TEAM.

joehogjoe
02-27-2015, 10:54 AM
This site should be called UGA Fanatics (Football), UK Fanatics (Basketball), and some Arkansas fans (5 whole teeth between them).and some limp cock fans

what a fing retard you are.

MissKitty
02-27-2015, 03:04 PM
KT, I usually don't read your post but in this case when I realized you were saying this team is better I made myself read your first post in this thread to see what kind of ridiculous statements you made.

First off, Kentucky didn't survive against Wake Forest and Tim Duncan. That game wasn't even close. It was over before it started.

As far as Camby goes, in the first game we pretty much shut him down but the rest of the team beat us. In the FF game Camby got his but Pitino didn't allow the rest of the team to beat us.

I do love this 2015 Team a lot. Unless they get improve offensively in a huge way I've got to say the 96 team would beat this team by 20.

MissKitty
02-27-2015, 03:05 PM
You know it's kind of like asking who is the better player Aaron Harrison or Tony Delk?

joehogjoe
02-27-2015, 03:11 PM
KT, I usually don't read your post but in this case when I realized you were saying this team is better I made myself read your first post in this thread to see what kind of ridiculous statements you made.

First off, Kentucky didn't survive against Wake Forest and Tim Duncan. That game wasn't even close. It was over before it started.

As far as Camby goes, in the first game we pretty much shut him down but the rest of the team beat us. In the FF game Camby got his but Pitino didn't allow the rest of the team to beat us.

I do love this 2015 Team a lot. Unless they get improve offensively in a huge way I've got to say the 96 team would beat this team by 20.

The Harrison twins are not capable of matching up against the great guards of the past. Wcs is a freak and would be a matchup nightmare but one Pitino and co. would figure out. We all know that 96 team was tough.

kentubbybasketball
02-27-2015, 03:27 PM

Cool. I'll spare myself a response, since you won't read it. lol

MissKitty
02-27-2015, 03:30 PM
Hey Joe, I hope all is well with you. You know this team has show the potential to be as good as the 96 Team. The domination of Kansas and UCLA was impressive. To me though they just haven't been the same since we lost Alex.

joehogjoe
02-27-2015, 03:31 PM
No one can justify Harrison over Delk.

MissKitty
02-27-2015, 11:28 PM
I agree, Tony Delk is one of the all time greats.

Then you have Mercer, Anderson, Walker, McCarty, Shepard, Pope,Padgett,Edwards and Epps.

Just for fun, I went to You Tube and watched highlights from their Title Run this evening. You know you don't have to worry about guarding the post if the other team can't get the ball across half court.

joehogjoe
03-06-2015, 12:45 PM
So true. I think Delk is the best analyst on the Sec network.

MissKitty
03-06-2015, 03:30 PM
This site should be called UGA Fanatics (Football), UK Fanatics (Basketball), and some Arkansas fans (5 whole teeth between them).

This board died when they added all these god awful sub-forums. They drive me crazy. Less is more