UGA beats Ole Miss 76-72 [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : UGA beats Ole Miss 76-72

Dawgilicious
02-25-2015, 11:14 PM
Sweep ole Miss and have back to back road wins. Back home vs Missouri Saturday!

joehogjoe
02-25-2015, 11:42 PM
Good win, and thanks for the cushion.

Dawgilicious
02-25-2015, 11:44 PM
LOL...no problem...We are trying to move up too....LSU has a tough Sched so we could move ahead of them if we finish strong

Djshockley3
02-26-2015, 05:21 AM
Really good win. Beat Missouri and Auburn and we are in. This team is so crazy though, you never know who will show up.

kentubbybasketball
02-26-2015, 05:51 AM
I accidentally fell asleep mid game. Did JJ Frazier come back in?

Dawgilicious
02-26-2015, 09:11 AM
I accidentally fell asleep mid game. Did JJ Frazier come back in?

yeah he came back in

Dawgilicious
02-26-2015, 09:12 AM
Really good win. Beat Missouri and Auburn and we are in. This team is so crazy though, you never know who will show up.

UGA fans are freaking out, but Bracketologists have them safely in as a 8 or 9 seed...lol

Herchel
02-26-2015, 10:07 AM
That is the best we have played in a while. Gaines should be All SEC.

pcgraffy
02-26-2015, 02:33 PM
That is the best we have played in a while. Gaines should be All SEC.

Gaines could be all SEC, but he hasn't played nearly up to his potential this year.

Herchel
02-26-2015, 02:47 PM
Gaines could be all SEC, but he hasn't played nearly up to his potential this year.
He started with mono, then the shoulder.

Dawgilicious
02-26-2015, 03:03 PM
Yeah he is not really deserving of it this season, altho he played his best last night. Granted he had Mono and the shoulder but like most of our team he has been so inconsistent

Herchel
02-26-2015, 03:08 PM
Yeah he is not really deserving of it this season, altho he played his best last night. Granted he had Mono and the shoulder but like most of our team he has been so inconsistent
He is our best defender, and plays the opponents best perimeter player every game. I think he is one of the best defenders in the SEC, based upon how opponents leading scorers fare against him.

kentubbybasketball
02-26-2015, 03:35 PM
An 8 or 9 seed wouldn't make me feel secure for UGA. I still would suggest that UGA doesn't have a great win, it's just a solid resume. I would place UGA more in the 9 or 10 range.

Djshockley3
02-26-2015, 05:09 PM
An 8 or 9 seed wouldn't make me feel secure for UGA. I still would suggest that UGA doesn't have a great win, it's just a solid resume. I would place UGA more in the 9 or 10 range.

We do not have a GREAT win, but who really does in the SEC besides UK. We have 2 wins against Ole Miss, beat K State on the road, Seton Hall, Colorado, A&M. We have some pretty solid wins.

kentubbybasketball
02-26-2015, 07:51 PM
That's my point in a nutshell though. A win over SHU and Colorado isn't getting you anywhere this year. Several SEC teams have pretty good wins. Even South Carolina beat Iowa State. LSU went to West Virginia and won Those are wins over 3 and 4 seed teams. The best that UGA has would probably be Ole Miss and they are a bottom half seed.

CentralMSDawg
02-26-2015, 09:50 PM
A good must win for UGA. Ole Miss needs to be careful now with road games at LSU and Bama coming up.

GDawg88
02-26-2015, 10:10 PM
That's my point in a nutshell though. A win over SHU and Colorado isn't getting you anywhere this year. Several SEC teams have pretty good wins. Even South Carolina beat Iowa State. LSU went to West Virginia and won Those are wins over 3 and 4 seed teams. The best that UGA has would probably be Ole Miss and they are a bottom half seed.
I've struggled to understand why the computers are so favorable to UGA. It seems like our bad losses to GT, Auburn, and South Carolina (times two) would more or less cancel out the decent wins we do have. It should be noted that we had key injuries in each of those games, but the RPI and BPI don't take that into account.

The best thing we have going for us is that we've been a very good road team. That will probably carry the day with the selection committee if we can avoid a collapse down the stretch.

Dawgilicious
02-27-2015, 12:58 AM

Solid argument, but SC doesnt have a winning record and LSU has questionable losses too. An 8 seed is solidly in the field and UGA. We have won at Ole Miss and at TAMU, so i will take what we can get at this point

kentubbybasketball
02-27-2015, 01:25 AM
I'm not saying South Carolina is in or that LSU is either for that matter. He asked me who in the SEC has good wins, so I answered with two teams that do. I mean I could have used more examples (i.e. Bama's win over UCLA is about as good as any in UGA's resume).

GD88, I agree. I'm not sure why UGA'S computer numbers are great either. You make great points as usual.

Dawgilicious
02-27-2015, 01:31 AM
Im sure a lot of teams computer numbers look off, that is why you look at the whole picture and have the resume broken down and in front of you, hence the committee's work.

Thanks for Minnesota winning at Mich State tonight to help that loss out :)

As bad as Seton Hall has gotten it is still a top 75 win on the resume and we have scheduled outside of the conference which has hurt teams in the past. But I won't count anything until I see our name listed in a bracket on Selection Sunday

Djshockley3
02-27-2015, 04:51 AM
I thought BPI did factor in injuries.

Dawgilicious
02-27-2015, 05:38 AM
I thought BPI did factor in injuries.

yes it does.

BPI: The Basketball Power Index (BPI) is a team rating system that accounts for the final score, pace of play, site, strength of opponent and absence of key players in every Division I men's game. BPI can be used to measure both how well a team has performed (going far beyond just wins and losses) and how powerful it is likely to be going forward.

Herchel
02-27-2015, 07:15 AM
I've struggled to understand why the computers are so favorable to UGA. It seems like our bad losses to GT, Auburn, and South Carolina (times two) would more or less cancel out the decent wins we do have. It should be noted that we had key injuries in each of those games, but the RPI and BPI don't take that into account.

The best thing we have going for us is that we've been a very good road team. That will probably carry the day with the selection committee if we can avoid a collapse down the stretch.
BPI does take injuries into account.

pcgraffy
02-27-2015, 04:50 PM

UGA's RPI numbers are helped because they didn't play many really poor OOC teams. Just to compare, let's look at Ole Miss, LSU, Texas A&M, and UGA - how many OOC teams did each play that are currently RPI 200+:

UGA- 3: Troy (309), Fl. Atlantic (298), and Mercer (206). So that's 3 opponents with an average RPI of 271. UGA has only 2 100+ RPI losses - Auburn and GT. South Carolina is right on the edge, so that could jump from 2 to 4 easily.

Ole Miss - 4: Troy (309), Southern (263), Southeast Missouri St (275), Austin Peay (315). 4 opponents with an average RPI of 290. Ole Miss has 3 100+ RPI losses (Charleston Southern, TCU, and Western Kentucky).

LSU -5: Weber State (264), McNeese State (280), Charleston (295), Southern Miss (305), Savannah State (331). 5 opponents with an average RPI of 295. LSU has 3 100+ RPI losses (Missouri, Miss. St., and Auburn).

Texas A&M - 5: Charleston (295), New Orleans (323), Youngstown State (282), Mercer (206), Hartford (249). 5 opponents with an average RPI of 271. Texas A&M doesn't have any 100+ losses, but they don't have any Top 50 wins either.