Maryland [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Maryland

Bama_Man
02-24-2015, 09:20 PM
No one talking about how good the Terps are? They just beat Wisconsin, and have a great resume. They are not a 1-seed, but they are in the running for any seed after that.

Dez Wells is killing teams, and Melo Trimble is one of the best freshman in the nation.

But a team with a national title should never rush the court.

SCgamecock2988
02-25-2015, 11:02 AM
Does anyone care? Legit question.

kentubbybasketball
02-25-2015, 04:36 PM
Nobody's talking about Maryland, because they're not an SEC team. lol

Let's talk about them though. They definitely had some addition by subtraction getting rid of those five players from last year. I think they were geeked last night. the crowd was electric and Turgeon was emotional on the sideline. Does Maryland bring that in a neutral site game in the third round against a 6 seed though?

As for how they play, I love how Maryland spaces you out and basically takes advantage of isolation situations. Wisconsin couldn't contain the dribble penetration of Melo Trimble or Dez Wells. However, a team like Virginia who's defense is historically good maybe would do better at containment.

Bama_Man
02-25-2015, 07:45 PM
Nobody's talking about Maryland, because they're not an SEC team. lol

Let's talk about them though. They definitely had some addition by subtraction getting rid of those five players from last year. I think they were geeked last night. the crowd was electric and Turgeon was emotional on the sideline. Does Maryland bring that in a neutral site game in the third round against a 6 seed though?

As for how they play, I love how Maryland spaces you out and basically takes advantage of isolation situations. Wisconsin couldn't contain the dribble penetration of Melo Trimble or Dez Wells. However, a team like Virginia who's defense is historically good maybe would do better at containment.

That is a GREAT point and one that people gloss over too often. Just because a team can score a huge win at home does not mean that carries over to a tournament setting.

But in UM's case, they have neutral court wins against Iowa State for one, a top 10 team RPI-wise. So they can beat great teams, they lost to UVA by 7 or 9 points I cant remember but Dez Wells did not play.

I agree that bringing in five new guys made the difference for Turgeon and Maryland. Dez Wells is phenomenal off the dribble at creating his own shots while Trimble is awesome as driving in the lane, hitting open shoots and getting to the FT line.

I think Maryland is a team that not many teams want to see in their bracket come March, they still have an outside shot at winning the B10. They are the only team to win at Purdue this year as well IIRC

kentubbybasketball
02-25-2015, 07:54 PM
Sure but I'd rather see them than Wisconsin, Duke, or Gonzaga.

Dawgilicious
02-25-2015, 07:58 PM
They also have been beaten solidly by teams like Iowa, Indiana and Ohio State. They should win out to finish the regular season. I am sure nobody wants them in their bracket with the way they play and they have 2 guards that can dominate you

Bama_Man
02-25-2015, 08:05 PM
Sure but I'd rather see them than Wisconsin, Duke, or Gonzaga.

Agreed on Duke/Gonzaga but not Wisconsin. I think teams like Maryland are more dangerous than a Wisconsin because they have two players that can take over games.

Wisconsin has Kaminsky and Dekker (terribly underrated), but I dunno I just feel like I would rather play Wisconsin than Maryland.

They also have been beaten solidly by teams like Iowa, Indiana and Ohio State. They should win out to finish the regular season. I am sure nobody wants them in their bracket with the way they play and they have 2 guards that can dominate you

But those are all tournament teams and those games were road games. I dont really hold losing @ Iowa or @ Indiana against them. But as you said, with those two guards, they are capable of beating any team on any day.

kentubbybasketball
02-25-2015, 09:24 PM
Perhaps you would, but I am Kentucky fan's perspective. Considering we beat them in the final four last year on a buzzer beater by Aaron Harrison, I think it's safe to say Wisconsin would be out for blood. Further, we can switch those screens that Maryladn sets and contain Trimble and Wells better than Wisconsin did.

End of the day the way the tourney is set up if Wisconsin is a 2 seed, they WILL be in UK's bracket. Look at the geography of it. The Cleveland regional is the closest for UK and Wisconsin and that matters more than UK deserving to play the weakest of the two seeds as the strongest one seed. So, if Wisconsin is a two seed, it'll be UK as their #1 seed. That rule sucks btw.

Bama_Man
02-26-2015, 02:13 PM
Yeah, Wisconsin should be one of the lower, if not the lowest 2-seed. You have a clump of about 10-12 teams that will fight for 2- and 3-seeds.

Wisconsin, Maryland, Iowa State, Kansas, Villanova, Utah, Northern Iowa, Arkansas could sneak into that line if they somehow beat UK, etc...

I would put the seeds as:
#1 overall-UK
second 1-seed-UVA
third 1-seed-Duke/Gonzaga
fourth 1-seed-Duke/Gonzaga

I would give 2-seeds to, as of right now, to:
Villanova
Kansas (although they could fall if Iowa State wins the conference)
Iowa State
Maryland

Dawgilicious
02-26-2015, 03:09 PM
Iowa State is not a 2 seed. Arizona has to be the 2 seed. Iowa State lost to baylor at home last night and doesnt really have the resume of Arizona. I just dont see Maryland jumping Wisonsin on the 2 line unless Maryland beats them to win the Big 10 tourney

kentubbybasketball
02-26-2015, 03:41 PM
Yeah, Wisconsin should be one of the lower, if not the lowest 2-seed. You have a clump of about 10-12 teams that will fight for 2- and 3-seeds.

Wisconsin, Maryland, Iowa State, Kansas, Villanova, Utah, Northern Iowa, Arkansas could sneak into that line if they somehow beat UK, etc...

I would put the seeds as:
#1 overall-UK
second 1-seed-UVA
third 1-seed-Duke/Gonzaga
fourth 1-seed-Duke/Gonzaga

I would give 2-seeds to, as of right now, to:
Villanova
Kansas (although they could fall if Iowa State wins the conference)
Iowa State
Maryland

Disagree. Wisconsin is an upper 2 seed if not a one seed. But, again, the weakest two seed doesn't even exist. They are not rated. The only thing rated amongst the seeds is the top 1 seed. It's all based off proximity with the top 4 seeds, which is stupid.

Bama_Man
02-26-2015, 06:52 PM
Iowa State is not a 2 seed. Arizona has to be the 2 seed. Iowa State lost to baylor at home last night and doesnt really have the resume of Arizona. I just dont see Maryland jumping Wisonsin on the 2 line unless Maryland beats them to win the Big 10 tourney

How? Arizona's resume is not great. Arizona did beat Gonzaga at home, but also has a bad loss @ UNLV. Arizona's only great wins are Gonzaga and Utah. Those are the only top ten RPI wins that they have as of this moment. Losing at Oregon State and at Arizona State are bad losses.

Iowa State, on the other hands, has wins over Kansas (RPI #2), Oklahoma State (#28), at West Virginia (#22), and at Oklahoma State (28). Baylor beat them twice sure, but Baylor is 11th in the realtimeRPI. Their only bad loss is at Texas Tech. Iowa State plays in the better conference with a shot to win it, and has more overall quality wins. They have more losses, but losing to Maryland, South Carolina (not a great loss), at Kansas and Oklahoma.

They have a chance to score a win over Oklahoma, a top 16 RPI team.

I just think their body of work is better than Arizona's because they play in arguably the best conference in the nation and has a chance to win it.

Bama_Man
02-26-2015, 06:56 PM
Disagree. Wisconsin is an upper 2 seed if not a one seed. But, again, the weakest two seed doesn't even exist. They are not rated. The only thing rated amongst the seeds is the top 1 seed. It's all based off proximity with the top 4 seeds, which is stupid.

I dont see it KT. What are Wisconsin's best wins? They have no wins over the RPI Top 10 (0-2, losses to Duke and Maryland, who sits at #9) or the RPI Top 20. Their best win is Oklahoma on a neutral court (16), and Georgetown on neutral court (23). They have a bad loss at Rutgers.

Their record is impressive, but they have not beat one elite team all year.

On the other hand, Maryland has wins over #5 RPI Wisconsin and #12 Iowa State, better wins than Wisconsin has. Maryland has more losses, but not as bad losses as Wisconsin (at Rutgers is a terrible loss).

kentubbybasketball
02-26-2015, 07:15 PM
Kaminsky being out against Rutgers means that really doesn't count. To me it's hard to put Duke as a #1 seed when Wisconsin will be a conference champion.
I'll give you Villanova, but I think the only teams with a #1 basically locked down are UK and UVa. Gonzaga is close and if they win out should be as well. Then it's down to Wisconsin, Villanova, and Duke for the last. I'm not sure what the fascination is with Maryland, who had a rough stretch this season itself, worse than Wisconsin had. As you said, Wisconsin is 5 in RPI, which I don't know if its true or not because I don't ever look at RPI.

Bama_Man
02-26-2015, 07:21 PM
Kaminsky being out against Rutgers means that really doesn't count. To me it's hard to put Duke as a #1 seed when Wisconsin will be a conference champion.
I'll give you Villanova, but I think the only teams with a #1 basically locked down are UK and UVa. Gonzaga is close and if they win out should be as well. Then it's down to Wisconsin, Villanova, and Duke for the last. I'm not sure what the fascination is with Maryland, who had a rough stretch this season itself, worse than Wisconsin had. As you said, Wisconsin is 5 in RPI, which I don't know if its true or not because I don't ever look at RPI.
I use the site realtimeRPI, they are a pretty good site.

Well, Maryland lost to UVA without Wells, so should that be thrown out as well?

Duke beat Wisconsin head to head, I cant see how they deserve a 1-seed ahead of them when Duke has the better wins and does not have a loss as bad as Rutgers.

Bama_Man
02-26-2015, 07:39 PM
Duke's resume:
(25-3, 12-3)

Top 10 RPI wins-2
at Wisconsin (#6)
at Virginia (better win than any team in the nation has) (#3)

Quality, Top 30 RPI wins-4
vs. Michigan State (27)
at Louisville (19, with Chris Jones)
Notre Dame (29)
North Carolina (17)

Total Top 50 wins: 9
at Wisconsin (#6)
Michigan State (27)
Temple (33)
at Louisville (19)
Pitt (38)
at St. John's (37)
at Virginia (3)
Notre Dame (29)
North Carolina (17)

All their losses are tournament teams or teams on the bubble-at N.C. State (40), Miami (67), at Notre Dame (29)

Wisconsin:
(25-3, 13-2)

Top 10 RPI wins:

Top 30 RPI wins-2
vs. Georgetown (23)
vs. Oklahoma (16)

Total Top 50 wins-5
Boise State (41)
vs. GT (23)
vs. OU (16)
Buffalo (42)
Indiana (35)

So no wins over RPI Top 10, two over RPI Top 30, and five wins over RPI Top 50.
Losses at Rutgers (157), Maryland (9), Duke (5)

Arizona:
(24-3, 12-2)

RPI Top 10 wins-2
Gonzaga (8)
Utah (10)

RPI Top 30 wins-1
vs. San Diego State (24)

RPI Top 50 wins-6
vs. San Diego State (24)
Gonzaga (8)
Utah (10)
at Oregon (39)
Oregon (39)
UCLA (45)

Losses at UNLV (101), at Oregon State (89), at Arizona State (82)

kentubbybasketball
02-26-2015, 07:44 PM
What does Wisconsin have to do? Win the Big Ten... they are about to Again, I don't see RPI to be useful but using what you've provided Wisconsin's RPI is great.

FWIW, RPI also said Kansas was the top team a few weeks ago over Kentucky. It's not the end-all, be-all.

Bama_Man
02-26-2015, 07:47 PM
What does Wisconsin have to do? Win the Big Ten... they are about to Again, I don't see RPI to be useful but using what you've provided Wisconsin's RPI is great.

FWIW, RPI also said Kansas was the top team a few weeks ago over Kentucky. It's not the end-all, be-all.

I agree its not the end-all be-all, but it is useful when trying to differentiate between teams in the 30-50 range.

I laughed so hard when Kansas was #1 RPI over Kentucky, who beat them by like 50 earlier in the season.

Does Wisconsin deserve a one seed ahead of UK, Duke, Gonzaga, or Virginia? All those teams have much better resumes and no bad losses.

Wisconsin is def. in the range for a 2-seed, but like I said there are like 10-12 teams that have reasonable arguments to be included in that debate.

kentubbybasketball
02-26-2015, 07:59 PM
We aren't debating teams in the 30-50 range though. We're talking about top 5 Wisconsin.

RPI is flawed. I bet UK one top 10 RPI win itself. Looking at that alone is going to give you a shortsighted view. Again, UK's resume wouldn't add up there itself.

I'm not sure why you'd leave Villanova out of that discussion too btw. To me, it's UK, UVA, Duke, Wisconsin, 'Nova, and Gonzaga for the one seeds. Arizona would likely be a solid two in a tier after those six.

Bama_Man
02-26-2015, 08:33 PM
We aren't debating teams in the 30-50 range though. We're talking about top 5 Wisconsin.

RPI is flawed. I bet UK one top 10 RPI win itself. Looking at that alone is going to give you a shortsighted view. Again, UK's resume wouldn't add up there itself.

I'm not sure why you'd leave Villanova out of that discussion too btw. To me, it's UK, UVA, Duke, Wisconsin, 'Nova, and Gonzaga for the one seeds. Arizona would likely be a solid two in a tier after those six.

I dont see how Villanova or Wisconsin have an argument for a number one seed. Their team's and resumes do not match up with the other four teams.

UK has ten wins over the RPI Top 50, have no losses, five wins over top 30 RPI (six wins over RPI Top 31) and have the best win of any team RPI-wise beating #2 RPI Kansas by 90 points.

kentubbybasketball
02-27-2015, 01:28 AM
Again but how many top 10 wins do we have? Top 10 wins is what you were using earlier for teams like Duke, Wisconsin, etc.

Storm
02-27-2015, 11:09 AM
For as good as Maryland is, 3 out of their 5 losses have been 20 point blowouts. When they lose, the lose for realz......LOL

kentubbybasketball
02-27-2015, 03:32 PM
Yeah, which part of what I was saying in that they went thru a rough stretch. Their cellar is really low. I'm not sure how high their ceiling is in a neutral site setting.

Bama_Man
02-27-2015, 03:51 PM
Yeah, which part of what I was saying in that they went thru a rough stretch. Their cellar is really low. I'm not sure how high their ceiling is in a neutral site setting.

They beat a good Iowa State team on a neutral site, also beat Arizona State.

I agree their ceiling can be low, but they are capable of beating great teams, and beating good teams on a neutral court. We will know more after the B10 tournament.

Dawgilicious
02-27-2015, 03:57 PM
beating Arizona State is not something to brag about though...lol

Bama_Man
02-27-2015, 04:16 PM
beating Arizona State is not something to brag about though...lol

Youre right, just saying that did beat a couple decent teams on neutral sites, including a very good Iowa State team.

In reality, how many teams have more than a few elite wins on a neutral site? Kentucky has the romp of Kansas neutral site, but no other good wins. Kansas beat Mich State (27) and UT (99). Villanova has beaten VCU (18) and Illinois (32), Duke has neutral site wins against Mich State (33), Temple (32), and Stanford (53), and Wisconsin beat Georgetown (24) and Oklahoma (16).

So its not as if all the elite teams have more neutral site wins over great teams, and Maryland beating Iowa State and Arizona State is very comparable with the other team's wins.

Dawgilicious
02-27-2015, 04:42 PM
problem is Maryland isnt jumping those other teams esp Duke since Duke has some of the best road wins of any team out there. Maryland is a solid team, just not a 1 seed and that is alright. They will be a tough 3 seed unless they beat Wisconsin to win the Big 10 tourney

GDawg88
02-27-2015, 04:56 PM
I've always been a bit of a Maryland fan. They were a great foil to Duke in the late '90s and early 2000s. It was always fun to see them knock Ratface down a peg. Whereas Duke was the cheesy, up-its-own-butthole team, Maryland had the trillest ballers like Steve Francis and Juan Dixon. Awesome rivalry.

Anyway, that's apropos of nothing with regard to this year's edition of the Terps, but I've long had a soft spot for their program and am glad to see them killing it this year.

Dawgilicious
02-27-2015, 05:01 PM
Blah...Duke got theirs back in the 2001 Final Four by beating them on the way to a title, and Maryland got scared and said we need to run to the Big 10.

I don't get the name calling, but I guess when you cant be as good as Coach K you have to resort to that stuff, same way when people try to crash on Coach Cal instead of understanding what kind of coaching job he has done....Oh well

GDawg88
02-27-2015, 05:08 PM
Blah...Duke got theirs back in the 2001 Final Four by beating them on the way to a title, and Maryland got scared and said we need to run to the Big 10.

I don't get the name calling, but I guess when you cant be as good as Coach K you have to resort to that stuff, same way when people try to crash on Coach Cal instead of understanding what kind of coaching job he has done....Oh well
One of my favorite games was from that same year when Duke came back from 10 down with one minute left to beat Maryland. I was more of a Maryland guy, but I had never seen a comeback like that and haven't since.

Duke also erased a huge deficit in the Final Four that year if I remember correctly. Just some classic games in that rivalry. It's hard to believe it was bigger than Duke-UNC for a brief moment in time, but it was.

kentubbybasketball
02-27-2015, 07:06 PM
Youre right, just saying that did beat a couple decent teams on neutral sites, including a very good Iowa State team.

In reality, how many teams have more than a few elite wins on a neutral site? Kentucky has the romp of Kansas neutral site, but no other good wins. Kansas beat Mich State (27) and UT (99). Villanova has beaten VCU (18) and Illinois (32), Duke has neutral site wins against Mich State (33), Temple (32), and Stanford (53), and Wisconsin beat Georgetown (24) and Oklahoma (16).

So its not as if all the elite teams have more neutral site wins over great teams, and Maryland beating Iowa State and Arizona State is very comparable with the other team's wins.

You're touting a win over Arizona State, yet saying UK only has one good neutral site win. I guess the UCLA win in Chicago doesn't count... yet Arizona State is good? I think Maryland is a 3 seed. There's nothing wrong with that. That puts them within the top 9-12 which is which is fair IMO. The fact that there is no road rematch vs Wisconsin makes me not put as much stock into that game as some are I supppos

Bama_Man
02-28-2015, 11:47 AM
I didnt see the UCLA win on a neutral site for UK my bad I overlooked it, no need to have an anyerism lol

kentubbybasketball
02-28-2015, 12:18 PM
Considering UK was up 24-0 before UCLA scored I'd say that was a good win regardless of resume. It was a trap game too in between UNC and UofL and before x-mas. It was the best UK has looked all season. Good win indeed. Better than beating Arizona State certainly.

Storm
02-28-2015, 12:31 PM
Michgian giving Maryland a game right now on ESPN

kentubbybasketball
02-28-2015, 12:36 PM
Had to expect some drop off. Storm, how do you bare Dakich btw?

Bama_Man
02-28-2015, 12:42 PM
Its very tough KT, Im watching right now but close to just muting my television. He is a horrible announcer and a big IU homer.

Bama_Man
02-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Considering UK was up 24-0 before UCLA scored I'd say that was a good win regardless of resume. It was a trap game too in between UNC and UofL and before x-mas. It was the best UK has looked all season. Good win indeed. Better than beating Arizona State certainly.

It its a good win, I just overlooked it when I glanced at UK's resume. If I had saw it, I would have definitely included that win for UK.

Storm
02-28-2015, 12:51 PM
I can't stand Dakich. He's a douche. I can't believe his son is on the team.

Michigan sloppy play in the first half. Maryland ended on a 9-0 run. I love Beilein, but I hate his 2 foul policy. Sits anyone if they get 2 fouls in the first half regardless of what is happening. Two starters on the bench most of the last 8-10 minutes.

kentubbybasketball
02-28-2015, 12:55 PM
Yeah I just can't handle Dakich. I'm watching Georgetown and St. John's on CBS. Both teams have disappointed some.

Bama_Man
02-28-2015, 01:00 PM
What channel is carrying GT/STJ KT?

Storm
02-28-2015, 01:37 PM
Michigan down 7 with about 5 to play. To many injuries for Michigan this season, but there's some talent there. Can't wait to see what happens next year. At one point in this game, Beilein had 3 true freshman, and 2 walk ons on the court. And they held their own.

kentubbybasketball
02-28-2015, 01:39 PM
CBS is where St. John's is playing.

MKfromPA
04-18-2015, 10:44 AM
Congrats to Mark Turgeon on finally making the NCAAT. That was the biggie over the last 3-4 years. Turgeon couldn't make the dance. Even with the talent he had. There were some guys (Terrell Stoglin) who messed up the team chemistry, but they have since moved on. Now looks like he's got the players & recruit trail to establish winning at UMD & in the B10.

kentubbybasketball
04-18-2015, 11:37 AM
They might win the national title next Year.

MKfromPA
04-18-2015, 09:21 PM
They might win the national title next Year.

Really? Over teams like Duke and Kentucky? I know Kentucky will (probably) lose a lot, but still. Can Turgeon and his players handle the pressure? Cal & UK and Duke & Coach K know how to do that very well. IMO a big factor to weather all season long and into March.

Bama_Man
04-18-2015, 10:37 PM
Really? Over teams like Duke and Kentucky? I know Kentucky will (probably) lose a lot, but still. Can Turgeon and his players handle the pressure? Cal & UK and Duke & Coach K know how to do that very well. IMO a big factor to weather all season long and into March.

They will have the talent to compete with any school in the nation. The recruiting class isnt loaded with elite stars, and they land Diamond Stone. To go with Tremble and Layman, they should have an elite team.

kentubbybasketball
04-19-2015, 08:18 PM
Interesting comment. You know Cal coached Turgeon, so he's got a great upbringing with Cal and Larry Brown to actually get it done (let's not forget he got Wichita State to the Sweet 16 in 2006 before Marshall's great success there). The pedigree is there. Maryland should be a final four predicted school next year on paper. IMO, when you have a dribble drive PG who is the best at his position in the country, you have a chance when he's surrounded by the kinds of bigs they have. They'll have the beat front court in nation behind maybe UNC. I do wonder where some of their shooting will come from. They could be a bit better at guard after Trimble some. Under Armour is helping them some I believe, too, in terms of recruiting.

As for UK. I think UK might lose upwards of 8 games next year. It'll take a while for things to click. We don't necessarily have a true 2, 3, or 5 on the roster. Now granted our guys are versatile to make it work but it'll be nice maybe to surprise people instead of being the hunted. Same with Duke. Who handles the ball for them? Who gets pts in the post for them. I think UK and Duke will go from 9 McD AAS to much fewer this next year but we have the two best coaches in the country, which always gives you a puncher's chance.

kentubbybasketball
04-19-2015, 08:32 PM
This might sound crazy, but it'll interesting to see who wins the UK-Duke game in Chicago (I believe) in the CHampion's Classic. It's an early game. Hopefully, us having a traditional PG will give us an advantage, but it'll be one of the least talented Duke-UK games you could imagine from a known names standpoint, which is odd, since UK will have still have at worse 4 McDonald's AA (plus Skal Labissiere being what should have been a 5th), and Duke will have about as many. It's crazy when you say 4 or 5 Burger Boys on one team is a reduction in talent but Duke and UK will be able to claim it next year.

MKfromPA
07-03-2015, 10:33 AM
KT, what do you think took Maryland several years to finally build a solid team? Do you feel it was the normal situation where a new coach comes in and needs time to bring in his recruits? Initially did Turgeon not have the right guys?

kentubbybasketball
07-04-2015, 11:34 AM
Well they've had a lot of attrition. Turgeon has pushed out a lot of guys and several others transferred. He was on the hot seat for too many guys vacating their schollys just last year.

Now he seems to have guys that fit him. Coming from the Calipari - Larry Brown tree, he has the goods to win the title IMO.

Bama_Man
07-04-2015, 12:25 PM
The program was not in great shape before Turgeon arrived, and Maryland had struggled at times to land the elite DMV/Prince County recruits, Gary Williams won his national title and made another Final Four with no real NBA players on his team, just great college players like Juan Dixon (even tho I think Chris Wilcox played in the league for a while)

But Turgeon has been hitting the DMV hard and he is a great coach with great lineage, and he has a team that should be LEGIT next year. Returning Trimble, Layman, and adding in Diamond Stone and a great transfer.

kentubbybasketball
07-04-2015, 01:05 PM
Maryland might be the deepest team in the country (UNC and TAMU could make an argument tho) but all people ever talk about is Trimble, Layman, Stone, and Saulimon. Some talk about Carter too. But I'm not sure I'd leave Nickels off the list. He's their best shooter and has some size at 6'7. Dodd is back and they have the Cekovsky kid that has a decent ceiling. Plus there's a JUCO coming in that has respect. I think UNC and Maryland are the two top teams next year. Maryland isn't too sad the Under Armour connection fell thru on the Harrison twins (me either for that matter lol). They might not have Trimble if they had gotten our twins.

ked, why are you asking about Maryland? You think they got the goods. Who else besides them, UNC, and Kansas do you have at the top. (I'm excluding Duke and UK here because they always have the top two classes and will be in contention on paper).

MKfromPA
07-12-2015, 09:05 AM
You guys make great points as usual.

I think UMD is legit, too. They may have the players and coaching to get them to the Final Four in 2016. Turgeon took a big step in 2014-2015. He finally appears to have brought the Terps back to National attention. Its going to take more than just one excellent season. Whether they can stay there, I think so. As Bama_Man stated, recruiting the DMV area aggressively is paramount. When Turgeon did not, he was not super successful. Also maybe now he's got the players to listen to him and buy into his system. In his first 3 years, he had some guys who didn't do that. Terrell Stoglin, cough, cough! All it can take is one or two guys like that and the team can be pulled apart. But a greater control of the team, and demonstration of winning and national contention is solid evidence for the team to excel.

I dislike making preseason predictions because IMO its real difficult to tell how a team is going to fare. Too many variables for my liking. But if I had to guess, I'd say UMD finishes in the Top 10 in 2015-2016. Barring any real set backs, I'd expect them to make the Elite Eight.

kentubbybasketball
07-12-2015, 02:09 PM
What's the style if their defense. To me that's a big question. Can they defend at an elite level? That to me is huge, because what kind of defense does the bigs play. Stone needs to be conditioned.

MKfromPA
12-12-2015, 10:12 PM
With the W today over UMES, the Terps have won 36 consecutive home games against unranked teams. I call that fairly impressive. UMD is off to a strong start this year. Trimble is playing real well.

MKfromPA
01-17-2016, 10:44 AM
Maryland beat the snot out of tOSU yesterday, 100-65. Is Maryland really this good or tOSU really that bad? :eek:

Storm
01-18-2016, 10:09 AM
Little of both I think. Maryland lost to Michigan the other day. It's really tough to win on the road in the B1G

MKfromPA
01-22-2016, 09:43 PM
I think so, too, Storm. B1G is an extremely competitive league. It'll be interesting to see how much home court plays a role down the stretch.