Florida five-star Saivion Smith announced his decision to verbally commit to LSU [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Florida five-star Saivion Smith announced his decision to verbally commit to LSU

zud the hut
02-24-2015, 01:57 PM
http://lsu.247sports.com/Bolt/BREAKING-Smith-commits-to-LSU-35833509?utm_source=247Sports+Newsletter&utm_campaign=d25a18fb73-150224_LSU+Tigers&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b5300ae947-d25a18fb73-221221193

LSU has landed another huge commitment for the 2016 class, this time coming from the No. 1 cornerback prospect in the entire country.

On Tuesday afternoon, Florida five-star prospect Saivion Smith announced his decision to verbally commit to the Tigers, choosing LSU over a double-digit offer list that was trimmed down to a final five of Clemson, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Florida and the Tigers.

“I have decided to take my talents to Louisiana State University.” Smith said. “I’m 100-percent committed to LSU."

Smith, who attends the IMG Academy in Bradenton, is LSU’s seventh commitment for the 2016 class, pushing the Tigers up the 247Sports team rankings - jumping from No. 10 to the No. 4 spot, trailing only Miami, Ole Miss and Florida State.

“They will start me out inside as a nickel back to get me on the field early,” Smith said. “It’s DBU. My dad has a great relationship with Coach Raymond and I really loved it there on my visit."

Headed into the day, the Seminoles led the way on the 247Sports Crystal Ball with 73-percent of the votes. But with his announcement coming just a few days after Smith left LSU’s campus for his first unofficial visit to Baton Rouge, the Crystal Ball swung in favor of the Tigers in a big way on Tuesday morning, with LSU taking 52-percent of the predictions into his announcement.

Smith, who is a consensus five-star prospect, is ranked by the 247Composite as not only the No. 1 cornerback prospect in the country, but also the No. 1 player in Florida - a lofty title each recruiting cycle. Smith is also ranked as the No. 6 overall prospect in the country.

“This lets me focus on my team,” Smith said. “We want to win a National Championship. But I will also do some recruiting. I am trying to get Trayvon Mullen and Khalil Ladler to LSU. I'm also trying to get some IMG guys to flip."

Smith’s commitment could become the cornerstone of one of the best defensive back classes in the entire country. LSU is also in pursuit of a handful of other elite cornerbacks, including names like Kristian Fulton and Andraez Williams in Louisiana and Trayvon Mullen, Chad Vaughn, Nigel Knott and John Broussard outside the state. At safety, prospects like Cameron Lewis, Shyheim Carter, Deontay Anderson, Eric Monroe and Joejuan Williams - all ranked as top-15 prospects at their position - are among the names highest on the Tigers.

RedNekTiger
02-24-2015, 02:35 PM
Dbu :)

joehogjoe
02-24-2015, 02:47 PM
They need to get a QB not a CB.

xAuBuRn
02-24-2015, 03:38 PM
Congrats. I think it is silly when they commit this early unless you know 100% that is where you are going. Whether it be Nate Craig-Myers ( Auburn 5 star WR commit) or Saivion Smith it long ways to go. Both Nate Craig- Myers and Saivion Smith said they will take visits. I think once you commit you should no longer take visits, but that is just my two cents.

Herchel
02-24-2015, 04:04 PM
Congrats. I think it is silly when they commit this early unless you know 100% that is where you are going. Whether it be Nate Craig-Myers ( Auburn 5 star WR commit) or Saivion Smith it long ways to go. Both Nate Craig- Myers and Saivion Smith said they will take visits. I think once you commit you should no longer take visits, but that is just my two cents.
UGA had two 5 stars commit months ago. One of them is working on Craig-Myers. :)

xAuBuRn
02-24-2015, 04:17 PM
UGA had two 5 stars commit months ago. One of them is working on Craig-Myers. :)

Craig may not end up at Auburn, but it will probably be OSU if it is not Auburn with an outside shot of FSU or Florida. UGA has a real chance to have the # 1 class next year. I would be pretty surprised if Brown 5 star DT does not end up at UGA. Rochester another 5 star DT from Georgia is probably leaning towards Auburn, but they could end up with the top 3 guys in the state. I doubt they have done that in a long time if ever. The talent in Georgia is ridiculous. I think they should be able to sign a LOI whenever when they are a senior in high school. I think they would not overreact and commit after one visit like some guys like to do. I just hope we get Price, Rochester and Pass from Georgia and I will be happy.

xAuBuRn
02-24-2015, 10:48 PM
LSU has the # 1 CB committed. Lead for #4 and 5. Number 6 Auburn leads, but they are in decent position with Josh also. I think T-Rob will bring him in though.