Interesting SEC Coaching List [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Interesting SEC Coaching List

kentubbybasketball
02-18-2015, 02:43 PM
This is a ranking of SEC football/basketball coaching tandems. Pretty interesting. Discuss? (Surprised UK is so high, but I guess that's the power of Cal... yet if that's the case doesn't Bama deserve the same with Saban? At any rate Saban and Cal are the biggest names in their respective sports at the moment).
http://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/ranking-secs-football-basketball-coaching-tandems

joehogjoe
02-18-2015, 05:19 PM
How embarrassing to praise Pearl. Absolutely disgusting character. If he'd go pro I'd have no problem but he is a stain on college basketball.

Just Some Hog Dude
02-18-2015, 06:48 PM
I feel that the Arkansas duo has accomplished more than the Auburn duo overall. The Auburn duo has accomplished more in the SEC though.

SkyAntoine
02-19-2015, 12:19 PM
If Kentucky or Bama could just get in the middle of the pack with their off sports, then there would be no comparison on coaches. We'll see if UK deserves to be this high after this year in football.

kentubbybasketball
02-19-2015, 03:30 PM
I think Grant is middle of the pack. Nobody can touch what Florida's had when they've had great football coaches paired with Billy D.

MKfromPA
02-20-2015, 07:39 PM
I think Grant is middle of the pack. Nobody can touch what Florida's had when they've had great football coaches paired with Billy D.

That is well said and I agree 110%. Gators were men's basketball and football champions in 2006 & bball won the title again in 2007.

kentubbybasketball
02-21-2015, 05:34 AM
Plus they also had a national champion in women's hoops when Carolyn Peck was there.

Just Some Hog Dude
02-21-2015, 12:49 PM

Nobody could touch them. Having two great coaches at the same time is extremely rare though. Arkansas probably had it with the Lou Holtz/Eddie Sutton combo. The late seventies/early eighties most have been a glorious time to be an Arkansas fan. Norm DeBriyn's baseball team was also a perennial Omaha contender as well at that time.

joehogjoe
02-21-2015, 01:50 PM
Watching SC at home again at the f-aggies and it's easy to see that frank Martin is a mediocre coach. He is no better than those before him.

Just Some Hog Dude
02-21-2015, 02:43 PM
Watching SC at home again at the f-aggies and it's easy to see that frank Martin is a mediocre coach. He is no better than those before him.

He won big at Kansas State though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Martin_(basketball)

That is something that is considered very difficult considering it is a very small state that plays in the shadow of one of the top ten greatest programs.

SCAR seems like an inexplicably tough place to win. They have great supportive fans, the state is relatively big and talent rich but the Clemson and SCAR basketball programs have had much less success in basketball than they have had in baseball and football.

joehogjoe
02-21-2015, 03:07 PM
He isn't any better than the previous coaches SC has had. He might be worse.

Just Some Hog Dude
02-21-2015, 03:25 PM
He isn't any better than the previous coaches SC has had. He might be worse.

He seems to have the best resume of any coach they have had in recent memory. Eddie Fogler had a good one but it was still pretty inferior to Martin's. Martin might not be a good cultural fit for South Carolina and the South. That Bobby Knight kind of style doesn't seem work great down here as far as basketball goes. Duke is about the only program I can think of that has been successful with something like that.