Matt Colburn, Lousiville and greyshirting [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Matt Colburn, Lousiville and greyshirting

Dawg in Dallas
02-03-2015, 02:10 PM
Realizing this is one side of the story, do you see anything wrong with what happened with this 3 * RB? (http://www.goupstate.com/article/20150202/PSPORTS02/150209935/-1/PSPORTS)

Louisville coach Bobby Petrino Monday morning did what few defenders around South Carolina could do the past three years to Dutch Fork RB Matt Colburn, stop him cold in his tracks. Actually, it was Cardinals' recruiter Todd Grantham who contacted Colburn and Silver Foxes coach Tom Knotts at 10:00 AM Monday morning with the news they no longer had room for Colburn in this class and want him to wait until January to enroll. In other words, here's a grayshirt for you Mr. Football.

Knotts said Monday night Grantham told him they had three junior defensive backs declare early for the NFL draft and they had made a real push for defensive backs and had landed several commitments, thus they needed to use te scholarship for Colburn for one of those defensive backs.

"Needless to say that's not what we though the deal was," a perturbed Knotts said. "We are talking to any and everybody. Wake Forest, Navy, Charleston Southern, Georgia Southern and Kent State, that's kind of where we are right now."

Knotts said the news has not gone over well with his star running back.

"Not good, not good," he said. "I tell my players when you commit, you commit. That's what a commitment is. Matt's been committed for eight months. It's irritating that men can do this. He's just a boy, a young man. He doesn't know how to understand it. He's very upset. Some things have opened up but that's not the way it should be. It's not right. Louisville is only going to hurt themselves doing this. Everybody knows not just what a good player Matt is but what a good person he is. That is not the way to do business and if that's the way to do business we don't want to deal with them. He (Petrino) won't be able to recruit my school anymore and I imagine there will be some other coaches that will say the same thing. Trust factor is just not there. They've known about these three DBs wanting to go to the NFL for weeks now. To use that as an excuse doesn't hold water with me."

As for some of his other players, Knotts said DB Lane Ecton will sign with Georgia Southern, DB Jeremy Addison with Catawba and PK Tyler Bass is considering walking on at Clemson or Georgia Southern.

Herchel
02-03-2015, 02:24 PM
Sure I do. Butch Jones just pulled an offer from a long time commit.

BIGBLUEQ
02-03-2015, 03:55 PM
Well, I hope Kentucky gets in on Matt Colburn if he's interested. I don't understand why this kid doesn't have more high D-1 offers. Any insight there?

SCgamecock2988
02-03-2015, 06:53 PM
Reggie Anderson ‏@ReggieWLTX 44s45 seconds ago South Carolina, USA
Head coach Tom Knotts tells the SC Network he will not permit Bobby Petrino to recruit any more Dutch Fork athletes