Trenton Thompson received his award today [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Trenton Thompson received his award today

Herchel
01-26-2015, 04:34 PM
as 247 POY. Nice trophy.

http://247sports.com/

Optik
01-26-2015, 06:18 PM
One more visit for 247Sports Composite National POY
Barton Simmons - 99 minutes ago

ALBANY, Ga. – The 247Sports Composite National Player of the Year for the class of 2015 is Trent Thompson and he’ll be playing his college football for Georgia. He received the award on Monday at his Albany (Ga.) Westover High School and he also verified that there will be no more official visits to other programs. He’s all Bulldog.

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/174/392/6_3392174.jpg
247Sports National Player of the Year Trent Thompson says he will not take a planned visit to USC. (Photo: 247Sports)

Though he took an official visit to Auburn the weekend of Jan. 16, he had talked about possibly visiting Alabama and he went so far as to schedule an official visit to USC on Jan. 27. He told 247Sports on Monday that those visits will not be taking place. There’s only one more stop he’s making before signing day and that will be to Athens, Ga., this weekend for his Georgia official.

“I wanted to stay focused on Georgia and make sure I’m getting qualified,” Thompson said of why he’s canceled his other trips. “I don’t want to take any days off from school and make sure I get all my schoolwork in.“

Thompson makes it clear that any flip to another program wasn’t going to happen anyway, official visit or not.

“Georgia’s always been the right place for me,” he said. “I knew when I was in 10th grade what school I was going to go to. The coaches keep coming and it makes my teammates feel good. They get to see the coaches they see on TV and get to see them in person.”

For Thompson, Georgia is home for him in part due to his home state. He didn’t start watching sports on television until the ninth grade so he’s not a lifelong Georgia fan, just a Georgia native that wants to represent his state.

“Georgia just felt like home,” he said. “I want to represent my home state. I didn’t want to feel like a regular person at another college. I wanted to represent my state and be a Georgia native.”

This weekend, Thompson is anxious to see his future teammates, future coaches and fellow commitments in Athens. After that, it’s back to work. His 247Sports Composite Player of the Year trophy will stay home with his mother and Thompson will become just a freshman in the summer. He’s ready for that challenge.

“I want to get developed,” he said. “But if they need me now, I’m ready to play.”

http://247sports.com/Article/247Sports-Composite-National-POY-Trent-Thompson-is-all-Bulldog-35083553

Kid says all the right things, I think I'm going to be a fan of his. :p

lbzdually
01-26-2015, 07:03 PM
I like the fact that he thought it was cool that his teammates got to meet the coaches they might have never met.