Jameis Winston to NFL [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Jameis Winston to NFL

scgamecock312
01-07-2015, 09:47 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/story/_/id/12131473/jameis-winston-florida-state-seminoles-nfl-draft-father-says

BIGBLUEQ
01-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Hooray! Goodbye, Crab boy. They have a $5 fine for whining in the NFL. LOL!

Djshockley3
01-07-2015, 08:48 PM
How long until he decides to rape again?

georgiaguy31015
01-07-2015, 08:56 PM
It will be interesting to see how he does that's for sure.

Bama_Man
01-08-2015, 03:13 PM
If I had the number two pick and the top pick chose Mariotta, I would be running to the podium to select Winston.

He has the ability to mature and grow up, and once he cleans up his throwing motion and footwork he can be an elite QB.

xAuBuRn
01-08-2015, 03:16 PM
If I had the number two pick and the top pick chose Mariotta, I would be running to the podium to select Winston.

He has the ability to mature and grow up, and once he cleans up his throwing motion and footwork he can be an elite QB.

I'm no QB expert, but I think he is a guy who will throw a ton of INTs. He had 10 his first year and 18 his 2nd year. He has the talent that is for sure, but he needs to learn to throw the ball to the right team. He takes a lot of unnecessary risks with the football.

Djshockley3
01-08-2015, 03:20 PM
If the Titans pick Winston, I am done with them.

2008 National Champions
01-08-2015, 08:21 PM

He threw 18 interceptions this year. He has bust written all over him.

2008 National Champions
01-08-2015, 08:22 PM
I'm no QB expert, but I think he is a guy who will throw a ton of INTs. He had 10 his first year and 18 his 2nd year. He has the talent that is for sure, but he needs to learn to throw the ball to the right team. He takes a lot of unnecessary risks with the football.

Yea he threw 28 ints in 2 seasons, Tim Tebow threw 16 interceptions over his entire four year career.

Djshockley3
01-09-2015, 04:42 AM
Yea he threw 28 ints in 2 seasons, Tim Tebow threw 16 interceptions over his entire four year career.

Hasn't Mariota only thrown like 7 or something?

SCgamecock2988
01-09-2015, 07:58 AM
Anyone see the poll on ESPN the other day? Do you think he'll be a Pro-Bowler, Solid Starter, Backup or a Bust? Something like that.

Hasn't Mariota only thrown like 7 or something?

Did you see the stat that Mariota up until now in his college career has averaged 8.4-something yards per play? That's INSANE! At least I think that's what I read on the ESPN ticker. It mentioned something about how he was the only player in FBS history to do something but I can't recall. I did see 9,000 yards in the stat...

Bama_Man
01-09-2015, 12:28 PM
You know someone else who threw 23 INTs their last two years of college?

Peyton Manning.

Or how bout 24 INTs in his last two years, and led his conference in INTs as a sophomore with 20?

That was Drew Brees

Winston may be a bust, but it wont be because of his football talent.
Mariotta doesnt make the type of throws Winston makes, theres a huge difference between throwing to an open player and throwing a player open.
There are a lot of QB prognosticators out there who rate Winston ahead of Mariotta. Listen to how some of these scouts and GMs speak; Winston may have his issues, but on the football field, his issues are correctable and the raw talent is there to draft him in the top two. The maturity is an issue, but in pure football terms, Winston is an ELITE QB prospect.

Im not saying Mariotta isnt a good QB, but the fact is that he hardly ever has to go past his second read before he takes off running, and he plays in the opposite of a pro-style system. Winston plays in an NFL-ready system, makes read progressions, and throws people open. Mariotta does none of that. Maybe he can become that guy, I wouldnt doubt it, but we know Winston can be that guy

And cmon, Tebow? What does he have to do with anything? He was not an elite QB prospect, and was basically a TE playing QB in the NFL. His stats are meaningless in this debate. I posted Manning's and Brees' stats, which are much more relevant. Neither of them won the Heisman in their first year as a starter either..

OxfordSeminole
01-09-2015, 08:48 PM

10INT his first year like it's a big deal. He also threw 40TD and 4000+ yards. Had a rating of almost 185 and a QBR of almost 90 (out of 100).

Did he regress some this year? Yeah. Pressed early in games and took chances. He also had SEVERAL INT's that were the result of his many FROSH WR's cutting off routes incorrectly.

Anybody that doesn't want to take him? Go ahead. But do so the peril of your team. He keeps his head screwed on straight, and he's got a very bright future.

SCgamecock2988
01-09-2015, 09:24 PM
Are you talking about Jameis Winston or someone else? Head screwed on straight? Really?

GDawg88
01-10-2015, 12:03 AM
Are you talking about Jameis Winston or someone else? Head screwed on straight? Really?
I think the "if" was implied in that sentence.

Storm
02-18-2015, 04:31 PM
Winston is in Ann Arbor this week with Bryce Petty, the QB from Baylor. Both seeked out Jim Harbaugh to help them prepare for the NFL. Some interesting comments from both of them in regards to Michigan and Harbaugh:

http://michigan.247sports.com/Bolt/Winston-Petty-Rave-About-Michigan-Experience-35717269

Earlier this week, Florida State star quarterback Jameis Winston and Baylor QB Bryce Petty took in some drills and workouts at Schembechler Hall in Ann Arbor. The two also got to work in a classroom type setting with Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh, who has played and coached in the NFL for a combined 14 seasons. Both quarterbacks were excited about working with him.

"That's a guy you see on Sundays being here," Petty said. "If there's anybody you want to play for as a player, it's a coach like him. Just a fun, energetic guy passionate about football. From the second he came over here, he was sizing up Jameis asking him about his grip. He's just a quarterback."

Winston reiterated those thoughts, and lamented about the fact that he won't get to throw for Harbaugh as his coach someday.

"It was a blessing to meet a guy like that," Winston said. "I made a reference to him when he played in Indianapolis in 1995 he had a great year. It was an honor to meet him and learn about his accomplishments and the coach he is. I wish I could have played for him."

Michigan's also known as having some of the best workout and practice facilities in the country. Both players worked out with esteemed quarterback coach George Whitfield over the past three days and got to experience them to the fullest extent.

"These guys don't know how blessed they are to have these types of facilities," Winston said. "Florida State is a prestigious school, we have nice stuff, but we don't have this. I love Florida State and Go Noles until the day I die, but this is so much more advanced than us."

Petty, who played at Baylor, says he's seen some strong facilities but nothing like what he saw in Ann Arbor.

"This is bar none the best I've seen," Petty said. "We've got great ones in Waco; I love what I had at Baylor but it's cool to go around and see other places, but this is easily one of the best I've seen."

Both players are now in Indianapolis as the NFL Combine is set to begin in the next couple days. Winston is the potential #1 overall pick in the NFL Draft in April, and Petty is expected to be chosen somewhere in the mid-rounds.

Storm
02-18-2015, 04:33 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25072810/jameis-winston-bryce-petty-rave-about-harbaugh-michigan-facilities

Winston's full quote on the $26.1 million Al Glick Field House:

These guys don't know how blessed they are to have this type of facility. At Florida State, we're a very prestigious school, we have nice stuff, but we don't have this. I'm sorry. I love Florida State. 'Go Noles' 'til the day I die, but there's so much advanced in this [facility].

Petty on the indoor practice facility:

This is, bar-none, the best that I've seen. We got great ones in Waco; I love what we had at Baylor. So it's cool to kind of get around and see other places. This is definitely, by far, one of the best I've seen.

Petty on Harbaugh:

That's the guy you see on Sundays, being here. If there's anybody that you want to play for -- as a player -- it's a coach like him. Just a fun, energetic guy, passionate about football.

And Winston on Harbaugh:

It was a blessing to meet a guy like that. ... It was just an honor to meet him -- and all of his accomplishments and the type of coach that he is -- I wish I could've played for him.

Recruiting mission: accomplished.

I'm not a fan of Winston as a person, but if it helps Michigan recruit, I'll take it.

2008 National Champions
02-19-2015, 01:56 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25072810/jameis-winston-bryce-petty-rave-about-harbaugh-michigan-facilities

I'm not a fan of Winston as a person, but if it helps Michigan recruit, I'll take it.

Great ambassador for UM. CONgrats.

Storm
02-19-2015, 02:25 PM
:lol: Harbaugh has done more for Michigan than Hoke, RR, and Lloyd combined and he hasn't coached a single game yet.

2008 National Champions
02-19-2015, 04:41 PM
:lol: Harbaugh has done more for Michigan than Hoke, RR, and Lloyd combined and he hasn't coached a single game yet.

Lloyd Carr won a national title, five Big 10 championships and was 122-40 at Michigan. Shocking lack of disrespect for one of the great coaches the program has ever had. What kind of fan are you? :raz:

Storm
02-19-2015, 09:03 PM
I should have specified the end of Lloyds career. He had a big hand in the downfall of the program over the last decade. From complacency in recruiting in the end, to sandbagging the effort of bringing Les Miles in as his successor, to helping push a few of the stars left on his team out the door before RR came in. I lost a lot of respect for him on his way out the door.

But I digress.

MKfromPA
03-05-2015, 03:39 PM
Lloyd Carr won a national title, five Big 10 championships and was 122-40 at Michigan. Shocking lack of disrespect for one of the great coaches the program has ever had. What kind of fan are you? :raz:

Completely agree. Carr was fantastic as a coach, IMO. I think his weaknesses were his 6-6 record against Ohio State and 6-7 bowl record. Those teams he led to the Rose Bowl were pretty good.

Storm
03-05-2015, 04:54 PM
Gary Moeller would have done great things at Michigan. It's a shame what happened and he got fired. These days he probably would have just got suspended or something.

MKfromPA
03-06-2015, 08:02 PM
Trying to get this thread back on topic, what do you guys make of Winston's future in the NFL. Success? Failure or bust? The most recent FSU QBs drafted - EJ Manuel, Christian Ponder, Adrian McPherson - dating to 2001, have not seen the greatest success. Actually, I'd argue none of those QBs were/are relatively successful. Manuel is still very, very young and Ponder, too. Manuel still has much potential. Ponder has more experience but shown more struggles with his team.

2008 National Champions
03-07-2015, 10:01 AM
He'll probably end up being a solid NFL qbs, better than anything Tampa has had in a long time, should they draft him. But I don't think he'll light the league on fire or have anything like the success of Andrew Luck's start.

MKfromPA
03-07-2015, 04:03 PM
I think it'd be pretty ironic if he ends up with the Bucs. Winston will remain in the state of Florida!

2008 National Champions
03-08-2015, 01:58 AM
I think it'd be pretty ironic if he ends up with the Bucs. Winston will remain in the state of Florida!

I'm 99% sure he will be drafted by Tampa. I just hope he is JaMarcus Russell 2.0. :)

georgiaguy31015
03-08-2015, 08:55 PM
No doubt Tampa takes him I think and I don't see him being great but I don't see him being terrible either. I will say he will at least be serviceable maybe even decent.

MKfromPA
03-14-2015, 02:44 PM
Right now I think Tampa's QB fate might be the best with Mike Glennon. He looked the best in 2014, IMO. I believe he still has very much upside but just requires time and reps to improve. Winston's the consensus #1 pick, but to me it would be a waste to draft him and not 110% fully commit to him. These days I think teams have to really be patient with young, top picks at QB. They are going to experience growing pains and misery as time is required to acclimate to the NFL. Tampa could go with another player at #1. I haven't been paying attention at all to the mock drafts, so I do not know if the Bucs are totally locked to Winston or could make a different selection.

Bama_Man
03-14-2015, 02:57 PM
nah it seems Tampa is locked on Jameis, and its the right decision IMO. He has so much more potential than Glennon, who has not been great when he has played. Winston has the ability to become a top 10 NFL QB, his football IQ is off the charts and has the arm to make any throws and comes from a pro-style system that taught him to throw a receiver open.

MKfromPA
03-14-2015, 08:52 PM
I will say Winston does have the advantage, if drafted by Tampa, that he will be in a division where defenses are not the best. Could help his confidence a bit. Not like he is entering the AFC North or NFC West where defensive units are scary to play against and yield next to nothing to opposing offenses.