Michigan offers Harbaugh $48M [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Michigan offers Harbaugh $48M

houndofthebaskervols
12-18-2014, 06:36 AM
for 6 years. Wow!

Adam Shefter says the consensus is it wont happen.

Just Some Hog Dude
12-18-2014, 06:57 AM
I told you Mullen would reject them.

houndofthebaskervols
12-18-2014, 07:48 AM

I said Mullen wasnt going anywhere. BTW, Schefter is a Michigan grad.

Herchel
12-18-2014, 08:00 AM
He hasn't been offered.

scgamecock312
12-18-2014, 08:08 AM
Harbaugh would be dumb not to accept that job.

SCgamecock2988
12-18-2014, 08:30 AM
That's some serious $$$$$...

SEC Yoda
12-18-2014, 08:58 AM
You think Harbaugh is their second choice? :facepalm:

IBCW
12-18-2014, 10:44 AM
From what I've read, this is Michigan's second run at Harbaugh....first time they got rebuffed......

Storm
12-18-2014, 11:06 AM
There are a lot of false reports out there. Michigan has NEVER made an offer to Harbaugh. Dave Brandon, the AD who quit/go fired last month, and Harbaugh never got along. Brandon didn't go after him at all. They also passed him up without offering back when Lloyd Carr retired, which did upset Harbaugh at the time, but at this point he had minimal experience as a head coach.

I don't know if he'll take the job or not, but I'm glad to see they are actually going after him this time around.

I also wouldn't listen to any NFL insider. They, much like Michigan insiders, are pushing their own agendas. They don't want Harbaugh leaving the NFL. Plain and simple.

Storm
12-18-2014, 11:10 AM

You keep clinging to that......:lol: So Harbaugh is their third choice after rejections from Mullen and Cutcliffe. Give me some of what you're smoking

WouldE
12-18-2014, 02:21 PM
Lloyd Carr retired

Retired? LOL.

Lllllloyd couldn't beat Ohio State (or Appalation State for that matter) and did not have the option of returning.

That's like saying Tressel retired, which he technically did.

Storm
12-18-2014, 08:15 PM
Retired, forced out, whatever.

georgiaguy31015
12-19-2014, 06:01 PM
Apparently Harbaugh is torn between going to Michigan or not. He wants to wait and see what jobs open up in the NFL and his family is begging him to take the Michigan job and Storm I see you didn't have a lot to say on the subject when I brought it up on Facebook that hurts man lol. I'm kidding mostly lol. I assume the Raiders would knock Harbaugh's door down trying to get him and since it's the same general area of where he is now and where he's been for some time that may be tough to beat.

Storm
12-20-2014, 07:21 AM
It's not that I don't have a lot to say, I'm just trying not to jinx anything, or get my hopes up to much. I was serious though when I said there are so many rumors, it's hard to keep up.

Everyone is trying to scoop everyone else. NFL insiders say he's an NFL coach and is torn. College insiders say there's already a verbal agreement and barring a last second change of mind, he's coming.

Everything will be worked out after next weekend. Nothing else to do but sit and wait. Harbaugh is an old school Bo Schembechler type. He's the consummate professional and isn't going to talk about other jobs while he's on another one.

Dr.SwineSmeller
12-20-2014, 01:47 PM
Harbaugh will prove himself to be a bonafide fool to not take the Michigan job. $48 millies? What is to even think about? I say he takes the Michigan job, and the longer Michigan goes without naming a coach just lends to the probability of Harbaugh taking the offer.

For your sake, Storm, I hope you guys get him. :cheers: There is no doubt he will reestablish the Wolverine program, and quickly is my bet.

Dr.SwineSmeller
12-20-2014, 01:52 PM
Apparently Harbaugh is torn between going to Michigan or not.

All coaches long for home eventually. I think "eventually" is upon Harbaugh here and now. Michigan has rolled out the red carpet for their homeboy with this offer. I liken this dealio to Nick Saban going to Bama. Harbaugh can retire at Michigan. Some things are just too good for a man to refuse. This is definitely one of those things.

Dr.SwineSmeller
12-20-2014, 01:53 PM
Retired? LOL.

Lllllloyd couldn't beat Ohio State (or Appalation State for that matter) and did not have the option of returning.

That's like saying Tressel retired, which he technically did.

I betcha Harbaugh can beat Ohio State.

Dr.SwineSmeller
12-20-2014, 01:54 PM
You think Harbaugh is their second choice? :facepalm:

Exactly, yoda. :cheers:

Harbaugh is/was/will be #1 on the Michigan list. That is a no-brainer.

2008 National Champions
12-20-2014, 06:15 PM
All coaches long for home eventually. I think "eventually" is upon Harbaugh here and now. Michigan has rolled out the red carpet for their homeboy with this offer. I liken this dealio to Nick Saban going to Bama. Harbaugh can retire at Michigan. Some things are just too good for a man to refuse. This is definitely one of those things.

If he goes to Michigan he won't be there for long. Certainly not 6 years. He wants to win a Super Bowl like his bro. If he goes to Michigan i can see him staying there for four seasons at the longest.

Dr.SwineSmeller
12-20-2014, 07:09 PM
If he goes to Michigan he won't be there for long. Certainly not 6 years. He wants to win a Super Bowl like his bro. If he goes to Michigan i can see him staying there for four seasons at the longest.

Wanting to win a Super Bowl and doing it are two different things.

However, if he doesn't take the Michigan job, I'm sure your reasoning will be exactly why he doesn't go to Michigan.

All that said, Saban and Spurrier wanted to win a Super Bowl too, but we see where they are now.

Storm
12-21-2014, 12:24 AM
I'll take four seasons of him and then leaving for the NFL.......He turned Stanford into a machine that churned out a winning program after he left. Even though Shaw seems to have it on the decline now.

SEC Yoda
12-27-2014, 11:07 PM
SI says it is going to happen.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/12/27/jim-harbaugh-michigan-offer

georgiaguy31015
12-28-2014, 11:34 AM
All the talking heads say Harbaugh is going to Michigan which shocks me but if true congrats Storm. I think he will get Michigan turned around quick.

Dr.SwineSmeller
12-28-2014, 03:07 PM
...the longer Michigan goes without naming a coach just lends to the probability of Harbaugh taking the offer.

No news is good news for Michigan.

MKfromPA
12-28-2014, 05:46 PM
I don't have an opinion either way on Harbaugh to UM. However, for him to leave the mess (poor play & lack of achieving expectations) that may be beginning in San Francisco, he might as well do it right now.

Subrookie
12-28-2014, 06:23 PM
I'll take four seasons of him and then leaving for the NFL.......He turned Stanford into a machine that churned out a winning program after he left. Even though Shaw seems to have it on the decline now.

I think they had to offer him serious NFL money for that job. As we discussed a couple weeks ago the alumni and fans would probably have had a wholesale uprising after the last couple hires if they didn't make a serious run at him.

Even if he does just stay 4 years he will stack the talent at Michigan. Unlike Saban he did really well in both college and the NFL. I really hope this happens.

2008 National Champions
12-29-2014, 01:09 PM
Surprised he didn't investigate Chicago.

I guess he just isn't cut out for the NFL. His success besides, he obviously doesn't have the mental toughness to handle the NFL pressure. :)

Bama_Man
12-29-2014, 03:23 PM
Too intense and too in your face for some NFL guys IMO

HunkerDown
12-29-2014, 09:09 PM
You are loving life now Storm. Welcome back to big boy football Michigan.

Storm
12-29-2014, 11:33 PM
I need to call a doctor because I've had a hard on for about 9 hours straight

:lol:

Subrookie
12-29-2014, 11:38 PM

This ******** that has been going on since Tressel got canned hopefully will end here. Go Blue!

2008 National Champions
12-30-2014, 01:31 AM
Is he really getting paid more than Nick Saban? :lol:

Dr.SwineSmeller
12-30-2014, 02:21 AM

CONGRATS, Storm!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

I finally got a coaching call right. I knew it had to be just too much dam* moolah to turn down. Not to mention, he is coming home, where he is genuinely loved by the fans.

This is great for college football as a whole, and a great, great day for Michigan fans far and wide.

Some gurus are already questioning just how long Harbaugh stays at Michigan. I think he will stay there for a long time.

Dr.SwineSmeller
12-30-2014, 02:23 AM
Can you Imagine the viewer rating for next years Michigan vs Ohio State game? I've got $20 that says it will be the highest rated regular season game in all of college football next season. Whatever network gets the game is licking their chops.

Subrookie
12-30-2014, 07:08 AM
Is he really getting paid more than Nick Saban? :lol:

Why would that surprise you? Harbough's NFL record is way better than Saban's in 4 years at SF he went to a Super Bowl and 2 NFCCG and had Michigan not thrown money at him UM fans would have revolted. Rumor is 5 star recruits are lining up to go to UM if he really ends up there.

Is it just my phone or does everyone's autocorrect Satan for Saban?

2008 National Champions
12-30-2014, 09:57 AM
Why would that surprise you? Harbough's NFL record is way better than Saban's in 4 years at SF he went to a Super Bowl and 2 NFCCG and had Michigan not thrown money at him UM fans would have revolted. Rumor is 5 star recruits are lining up to go to UM if he really ends up there.

Is it just my phone or does everyone's autocorrect Satan for Saban?

I'm not saying Harbaugh is a bad coach. But what has he done at the college level? Enough to be paid more than Nick Saban? Michigan just set the bar for college football coaches salaries. I hope this is a bust.

With that kind of salary he better have them in the playoff in 2016.

Subrookie
12-30-2014, 10:36 AM
If a university wants a coach like Pete Carroll or Harbaugh they are going to have to pay NFL money to bring them back to the college coaching ranks. The only precedent it sets is for coaches at his level, which is a very short list. And, no matter how good a coach he is it would be at least 2-3 years for him to get in the playoffs. This isn't basketball.

dnmuga93
12-30-2014, 11:26 AM
He is not getting more than Nick Saban.

Jim Hackett (Michigan AD) has said Harbaugh is basically getting the same thing as his 49ers contract- $5M plus incentives.

BamaHoHo
12-30-2014, 11:30 AM
Just heard on the radio. He wants his salary to be 5 million and spread the other 3 million among the assistants.

Bama_Man
12-30-2014, 01:02 PM
He was just introduced as the Michigan coach at 12PM EST.

He was given a seven year contract, making roughly $5M per year.

He was light hearted and fun at his press introduction, he seems to be serious about the job yet isnt taking himself too seriously.

ugabrad
12-30-2014, 03:46 PM
How long before Urban Meyer starts having "health issues" now?

Storm
12-30-2014, 03:58 PM
Awesome. He told the AD he had no interest in being the highest paid coach. Love his attitude. But he still needs to win games. This is all fun right now, but now it's time to go to work.

Give em hell, Jimmy.

MKfromPA
12-30-2014, 05:56 PM
Glad your school got your man, Storm. Hope he brings UM many, many, many, and MANY wins over Ohio State. :)

GDawg88
12-30-2014, 06:02 PM
This is great for college football. Ohio State and Michigan is going to become a hellacious rivalry again. That game now has two of the top three coaches in college football, each of whom are basically insane. I can't wait for those matchups.

Storm
12-31-2014, 12:21 AM
Jimmy hired, Michigan bball wins in OT, osu loses to Iowa in bball. All in all, a pretty good damn Tuesday.

WouldE
12-31-2014, 09:12 AM
Bittersweet.

Good because it makes the rivalry more exciting and makes the B1G better. Bad because Michigan will win more than once every 6 or 7 years.

scgamecock312
12-31-2014, 09:14 AM
The question is how many recruits will line up to play for Harbaugh? He has been successful in the NFL and know what it takes to get there. I give it 3-4 years and he will have Michigan in the playoff.

Storm
12-31-2014, 09:24 AM
The question is how many recruits will line up to play for Harbaugh? He has been successful in the NFL and know what it takes to get there. I give it 3-4 years and he will have Michigan in the playoff.

This 2015 class should be interesting. There are 6 commits right now. Average recruiting rankings have us in the 80's. There's only room for like 16 total this class, not counting any attrition.

The Michigan insiders are saying in regards to what this is doing right now is "let your wildest imagination run." That's the buzz Harbaugh has garnered and they make it sound like top recruits are lining up now to take some quick visits.

Should be interesting to see what kind of bumps they get. I would expect this class to move up into the top 16-20 range, with next years classes starting to see the top 10.

It's also looking like Florida DC is going to come in. And it's my understanding he won an award last year for being top recruiter? Not sure if that's true or not. But with him coming in and a rumor of Greg Mattison staying on in some capacity, it could be a great defense.

scgamecock312
12-31-2014, 09:27 AM
This 2015 class should be interesting. There are 6 commits right now. Average recruiting rankings have us in the 80's. There's only room for like 16 total this class, not counting any attrition.

The Michigan insiders are saying in regards to what this is doing right now is "let your wildest imagination run." That's the buzz Harbaugh has garnered and they make it sound like top recruits are lining up now to take some quick visits.

Should be interesting to see what kind of bumps they get. I would expect this class to move up into the top 16-20 range, with next years classes starting to see the top 10.

It's also looking like Florida DC is going to come in. And it's my understanding he won an award last year for being top recruiter? Not sure if that's true or not. But with him coming in and a rumor of Greg Mattison staying on in some capacity, it could be a great defense.

You guys made a home run hire and it should pay off sooner rather than later. Michigan being good is good for football.

Can't wait to see how Harbaugh does there.

RollTide86
12-31-2014, 01:17 PM
Great hire. Biggest hire since Meyer to Ohio State. Could have the impact of both that and Saban going to Bama. If he can get the recruits, Michigan will be great once again.

georgiaguy31015
12-31-2014, 09:55 PM
Congrats on the hire Storm. I'm still not happy the 49ers let this guy get away but such is life. I can't wait to see what he does.

Storm
01-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Thanks GG. I'm excited to see what kind of a staff he puts together.