Big 12 expansion: who should they add? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 expansion: who should they add?

SCgamecock2988
12-07-2014, 01:29 PM
BYU
Cincinnati
Houston
SMU

????

Discuss.

Really Big Bama Fan
12-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Rice and SMU to allow the old Southwest conference rivalries to continue while still allowing Texas and Oklahoma to dominate.

Subrookie
12-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Cincinnati and BYU might be the only teams on that list that would add anything other than football to the conference. Personally, I think Houston is the most likely candidate because its in B12-4+2 country. I could also see UConn.

georgiaguy31015
12-07-2014, 05:27 PM
Why not Rice and Houston? I don't see them adding anyone. I see them petitioning the NCAA to have a title game. I imagine they would get win that petition and then you don't need to add anyone.

MKfromPA
12-08-2014, 05:35 PM
Are we discussing football program or athletics program?

Only option mentioned for football that would improve the B12, IMO, is BYU. SMU was horrible this season. Houston and Cincinnati are all right, but would probably be at or near the bottom of the conference for a few to several years. Not sure that BYU would accept an invite to join. They just switched to Independent from the Mountain West. Athletically, I believe the Cougars would be a good fit, as BYU is fairly competitive in sports other than football (basketball, volleyball, etc.).

2008 National Champions
12-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Some long road trips for BYU if they make that move. But a step up nonetheless.

SCgamecock2988
12-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Not much longer than WVU... ?? Austin, TX is basically the middle point between Provo, UT and Morgantown, WV. And I'd consider Austin the center of the Big 12 teams. So that is a moot point.

2008 National Champions
12-08-2014, 08:18 PM
Not much longer than WVU... ?? Austin, TX is basically the middle point between Provo, UT and Morgantown, WV. And I'd consider Austin the center of the Big 12 teams. So that is a moot point.

It is rough for WV as well. That has to wear on them after a while, that's a lot of long road trips for a college team.

IBCW
12-08-2014, 08:20 PM
BYU, Cincinnati, and Boise St. are names that I'm hearing....

Bama_Man
12-08-2014, 09:02 PM
BYU in B12? I'd go Houston and maybe Rice. Good baseball team. SMU has decent bball team and Chad Morris, Clemson OC, is new HC.

LSUTigers1404
12-08-2014, 10:27 PM
BYU and Cincy

Football is all that truly matters when it comes to making money.

RollTide86
12-31-2014, 12:45 PM
BYU would fit. But id like to see Boise join it. Worked out fine for TCU.

BIGBLUEQ
01-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Why not Boise State, BYU, SMU, Houston. Makes more sense bring them up to 14 team league.

Herchel
01-07-2015, 05:05 PM
Memphis and BYU.

MKfromPA
01-16-2015, 05:34 PM
Why not Boise State, BYU, SMU, Houston. Makes more sense bring them up to 14 team league.

Good pick with Boise. I could also see that. On the other hand, my thinking is, if Boise is ever offered an invite to a Power Five conference, it would be from the Pac-12. IMO makes more sense geographically. Several years ago the conference reached out to Colorado and Utah, which expanded their bounds to the Rockies.

MIZ-TIG
01-31-2015, 10:04 AM
Adding more Texas schools will not please the Big12's TV partners. They already have the Texas market. Their top choices would be Cincy, BYU, UCF/USF, Memphis and UCONN. There is no easy way for the Big12 to expand based on geography so no matter what they do it's going to look ugly. Everything I've heard is that there are no expansion candidates that would pay for themselves as of now and the Big12 will not take a smaller share of the pie just to expand. NO expansion will happen for at least 3-4 years until the negotiation window for their TV deals open back up. Adding a championship game will not fully pay for expansion either. Only the SEC Championship makes a lot of $$$ for the conference.

GatorMan32
02-01-2015, 09:52 AM
BYU would be their big fish because of their national following. Boise adds basically nothing to tv deals so I don't think they are in much demand. Cincy, GT, BYU and Memphis/UConn would be their grand slam for a TV deal. For the SEC I think if it goes to 16 Cincy could end up in the SEC because its not that far removed from a school like UK. Also think the SEC should make another run at VT for TV purposes if 16 becomes the number.

Bama_Man
02-02-2015, 12:54 PM
Good grief we do not want Cincy. They add very little except an in in a bigger city, but the people of Cincinnati could care less about the Cincy football team and the basketball team is nowhere near they were at their peak with Huggins and Kenyon Martin.

If we go to 16, I would like to see us add the two VA schools. VT is a respected football program, a great following, and its not that far removed from Knoxville. VT's football program>>>>>>>>>>Cincy's, and their basketball isnt far behind any more.

UVA is a stretch, but it would add academic integrity and their football team has been landing some great players under London. Their basketball team is top 5, and London is landing kids like Quinn Blanding so the may be good in a few years.

Clemson or FSU makes sense too, but I understand the SEC schools do not want to have to let in in-state rivals, same for GT. GT already left once, they dont deserve another invite now.

SCgamecock2988
02-02-2015, 01:50 PM
We need a NC and VA school if we add two more. The SEC map would look quite odd if SC and VA were colored as member states and NC is this big gray area.

Me personally I'd like to see VA Tech and NC State. I even wouldn't mind UNC (I know most Gamecock fans wouldn't ever say this but whatever) and playing them every year in football would be awesome IMO. We play them this year to open the season in Charlotte.

GatorMan32
02-03-2015, 01:06 AM
Cincy would be tv related period. VT and NC State works too.

MKfromPA
02-03-2015, 07:12 PM
Are we talking about the SEC or B12 here, guys? I think this is a B12 thread, no?

Well, I'll chime in on the SEC. Cincinnati, no way, I agree there. I don't think their football program is nearly good enough. Playing in the AAC is a stark contrast from the SEC. Plus, what else do they bring to the table besides a semi-decent tv market? I think if the SEC is going to add additional school(s), the candidates are going to be from a Power Five league. Not going to draw from the Mid-Major pool, unless the choice is so good it could not be turned down.

I like the idea of a North Carolina school & the idea of Virginia Tech. Stealing a school from the ACC makes sense to me. Basketball programs in that conference are usually strong. VT is down right now but football they are competitive just about every year. The football program had a very long consecutive bowl appearance streak going for a while, too. I know that ended several seasons back. For North Carolina, I doubt Duke or UNC would leave the ACC. North Carolina State may be a replacement then.

Bubba
02-03-2015, 08:48 PM
Arkansas to the Big 12!

MKfromPA
07-18-2015, 07:13 PM
Arkansas to the Big 12!

Seriously? :sarcasm:

Afleet
10-08-2015, 10:15 PM
S Dakota St

Subrookie
10-10-2015, 05:13 PM
The Big 12 was running commercials during the Kansas /Baylor game bragging how they don't need a conference championship game to determine a winner. So, maybe they don't want anyone else.

ugabrad
10-10-2015, 05:38 PM
How about Colorado State and Air Force?

MKfromPA
10-11-2015, 12:14 PM
The Big 12 was running commercials during the Kansas /Baylor game bragging how they don't need a conference championship game to determine a winner. So, maybe they don't want anyone else.

For now and possibly the next few years, I would have to agree.