UGA picks up another WR commit [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : UGA picks up another WR commit

dnmuga93
12-04-2014, 10:00 AM
Darius Slayton, 4* from GAC, surprised more than a few people at his Army All-American Game announcement this morning.

He grabbed a Georgia hat, said, "Go Dawgs!" and announced his commitment to UGA.

He is the 18th ranked WR according to 247Sports composite rankings.

xAuBuRn
12-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Good get, is he playing corner? Most think that is where he projects in college better.

dnmuga93
12-04-2014, 11:02 AM
Good get, is he playing corner? Most think that is where he projects in college better.

Projects at WR for the moment according to 247, although they did say he could play DB as well.

Herchel
12-04-2014, 12:02 PM
That makes 4 WRs, plus Godwin,

Optik
12-04-2014, 02:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvT2ycRu_HQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8K4ourMEZk

Optik
12-04-2014, 02:32 PM

Probably WR, at least initially. A huge part of what cost Auburn any chance at getting Slayton was that they have recruited him at DB and not WR. He wants to play WR.

lbzdually
12-04-2014, 03:55 PM
I think I saw him this year on GPTV and he was very elusive and had good to great speed. now, does UGA have a chance at Preston Williams, or were the other de-commits making room for Slayton?

lbzdually
12-04-2014, 04:13 PM
With this commit Scout has UGA at #1 in recruiting for 2015.

Optik
12-04-2014, 04:24 PM
I think I saw him this year on GPTV and he was very elusive and had good to great speed. now, does UGA have a chance at Preston Williams, or were the other de-commits making room for Slayton?\

Decommits have nothing to do with either, IMO. I still don't think Preston is likely to flip.

If Vasser decommitted to make room for anyone, it was for Huggins. I don't think we really wanted to lose him though, FWIW, just didn't try hard enough to keep him.

xAuBuRn
12-04-2014, 04:36 PM
Probably WR, at least initially. A huge part of what cost Auburn any chance at getting Slayton was that they have recruited him at DB and not WR. He wants to play WR.

Yes you are probably right. He still would of been a hard get. I don't see him being a great receiver in college. I see him being a good one though. He can be an ELITE corner though. Good lord we need that right now. The shutdown corner does not exist in modern football, but we need someone that can match up one on one vs anyone. We haven't had that since Carlos Rogers. One could argue Pat Lee, but he was not an elite corner. He was good though. I would take Pat Lee back in a nanosecond.

lbzdually
12-04-2014, 04:43 PM
\

Decommits have nothing to do with either, IMO. I still don't think Preston is likely to flip.

If Vasser decommitted to make room for anyone, it was for Huggins. I don't think we really wanted to lose him though, FWIW, just didn't try hard enough to keep him.

Here's my thinking on most de-commits right before a big name commitment -they probably aren't told they are going to be dropped, per se, but rather they get a gentle push that they might get redshirted or play another position than they want as a passive-aggressive way to weed out players. I think all of UGA's WR propects are top 30 4 star prospects. This is by far the best overall class Richt's had and they have every chance to make this team much better next year. There is no excuse, IMO, for UGA to lose more than 2 games in 2015 and 1 in 2016.

Herchel
12-04-2014, 04:48 PM
There was no excuse to lose any game this year. Next year will be more difficult.

Dawg in Dallas
12-04-2014, 05:03 PM
There was no excuse to lose any game this year. Next year will be more difficult.

Other than starting a new QB, changing DC's, have mass defections in the secondary and losing the best player in CFB for 5 games, I agree.

Herchel
12-04-2014, 05:09 PM
Other than starting a new QB, changing DC's, have mass defections in the secondary and losing the best player in CFB for 5 games, I agree.
We lost at USC on one play, the idiotic call on 1st and goal.
There was no excuse for losing to UF.
There was no excuse for losing to Yech.
With everything you listed, we were still better than the 3 teams we lost to.

lbzdually
12-04-2014, 05:12 PM

They lost some games they shouldn't have, but I would also argue they won some games they shouldn't have either. The defense was so shorthanded, it wasn't funny, one game UGA only had Chubb and Douglas healthy, and Mitchell, Rumph, and JSW all missed significant time.

Dawg in Dallas
12-04-2014, 05:18 PM
We lost at USC on one play, the idiotic call on 1st and goal.
There was no excuse for losing to UF.
There was no excuse for losing to Yech.
With everything you listed, we were still better than the 3 teams we lost to.

I'm not sure we are better than Tech this year.

We scored 35 points against USC - that should have been enough to win without one bad play call.

I agree with you on Florida.

Herchel
12-04-2014, 05:42 PM
I'm not sure we are better than Tech this year.

We scored 35 points against USC - that should have been enough to win without one bad play call.

I agree with you on Florida.
I didn't mention the bogus holding call at USC on Gurley's 54 yard TD run either. Look at the games we lost.
USC 6-6.
UF 6-5.
We fumbled inside Yech's 5 twice, and still would have won without the pooch kick.

Dawg in Dallas
12-04-2014, 06:03 PM
I am aware of the records of the teams we lost to. I am just pointing out that at the beginning of the year a prediction of 9-3 would not have been an uncommon one for UGA. Anyway, we are getting distracted from the positive recruiting news here. Sorry about that.

Djshockley3
12-04-2014, 07:39 PM
How many will be sign this year? 30?

lbzdually
12-04-2014, 09:11 PM
How many will be sign this year? 30?

UGA should have room with all the defections, maybe even 30-32. I think the defense lost almost 10 players by themselves.

Optik
12-04-2014, 09:29 PM
UGA should have room with all the defections, maybe even 30-32. I think the defense lost almost 10 players by themselves.

Defections are not finished either, I'm thinking we take at least 31, could be more. Really depends on how many transfers we have. There are a lot of guys that probably should transfer that won't get the hint and will stay and ride the bench next year instead.

Herchel
12-05-2014, 06:27 AM
Defections are not finished either, I'm thinking we take at least 31, could be more. Really depends on how many transfers we have. There are a lot of guys that probably should transfer that won't get the hint and will stay and ride the bench next year instead.

How many EEs do we have?

Optik
12-05-2014, 07:00 PM
How many EEs do we have?

Believe we took 17 in the last class, so we have room to EE 8 guys in the class. I'm not positive on the overall roster, but that allows 33 total which would put us at, if I've worked this out correctly, 92 total before any underclassmen declare. I doubt we have 7 guys leave early, but I would fully expect we can lose 7 guys in time for the roster to work out.

When is the last time UGA have legitimately had to worry about the numbers? We always come in under 85 and I'd fully expect that again this year.

Optik
12-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Check out this catch by Slayton, H. I can't embed, you'll have to click the link.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/team/videos.aspx?schoolid=8c20e9f0-0aad-4dbe-9a12-ebf334f7b9b5&ssid=7be2029b-2a43-4c19-b206-cf60f0499343&videoid=db9b2a28-6a2f-47e3-98dd-3ca644bf4eb3

Herchel
12-06-2014, 05:57 AM
Check out this catch by Slayton, H. I can't embed, you'll have to click the link.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/team/videos.aspx?schoolid=8c20e9f0-0aad-4dbe-9a12-ebf334f7b9b5&ssid=7be2029b-2a43-4c19-b206-cf60f0499343&videoid=db9b2a28-6a2f-47e3-98dd-3ca644bf4eb3

I watched his announcement. He is an impressive young man. Reminds me of Conley.

Optik
12-06-2014, 06:20 AM
I watched his announcement. He is an impressive young man. Reminds me of Conley.

Honestly, the way he just plucks that ball out of the air one-handed, then cruises into the end zone like it is no big deal at all is one of my favorite parts about it.

lbzdually
12-06-2014, 11:17 AM

Slayton is probably faster and a true homerun threat but if he is as good a teammate and model citizen, that would be awesome. I hope the returning players can light the path and not let the team cancer's take over like in the past.