UAB shutting down football program [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : UAB shutting down football program

Bama_Man
11-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Wow, didn't see that coming

http://deadspin.com/report-uab-to-shut-down-its-football-program-1664885691

Herchel
11-30-2014, 03:50 PM
Bama fans on the board did it. They never wanted UAB to have a team. What a shame.

xAuBuRn
11-30-2014, 03:52 PM
South Alabama killed it IMO.

Herchel
11-30-2014, 04:03 PM
They have a bright young coach and are bowl eligible for the first time in ten years. He could have built something at UAB.

JDThirstyAg
11-30-2014, 06:17 PM
Sad news for the players, especially after fighting their way to become bowl eligible.

2008 National Champions
11-30-2014, 07:58 PM
That sucks. UAB played a lot of SEC teams throughout the years. Sad to see this happen.

SEC Yoda
12-01-2014, 08:43 AM
UAB shares a lot of board members with UA. 'nuff said

SCgamecock2988
12-01-2014, 08:44 AM
I heard about this being a possibility but also heard some NFL players who played for UAB were willing to put up $$ to save the program. Guess they weren't willing to put up that much though, or something else was at play.

scgamecock312
12-01-2014, 08:45 AM
Hate to see it, but can't blame them if they have to play in that dump at Legion Field.

Herchel
12-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Hate to see it, but can't blame them if they have to play in that dump at Legion Field.
Alumni were raising money for an on campus stadium.

HunkerDown
12-01-2014, 09:53 AM
That really sucks.

Bamadan
12-01-2014, 10:52 AM
Alumni were raising money for an on campus stadium.

...a proposal that has been shut down many a time by the UABOT despite the fundraising. The makeup of the UABOT is skewed way in favor of the Tuscaloosa campus, and this has been a huge concern for UAB and UAH supporters. There are protests going on as I post at UAB right now to save the football program and to force out UAB president Ray Watts, not to mention the UABOT.

This is a sorry state of affairs, and as a Bama fan, I am disappointed at the way UAB and UAH is handled by the UABOT. If there was equal representation by graduates of UAB and UAH to offset the skewing of UAT grads on the BOT, we may not be having this situation right now.

BTW, who would want to see Liberty University in FBS in CUSA to replace UAB anyway? The only one loving this is the late Jerry Falwell looking down(or up?) and smiling. I know I'm not!!

Bamadan
12-02-2014, 12:38 PM
Rick Karle is reporting that the UAB football program will be shut down. Formal announcement to be made today.

BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) -
FOX6 Sports Director Rick Karle says sources close to the situation have confirmed for him that the UAB football program will be shut down.

Karle says he confirmed the news and an announcement is expected to happen sometime on Tuesday.

Our newsroom reached out to UAB Media Relations for more details, but they could not confirm any announcement was imminent.

Additional details are currently unavailable, but we'll continue covering this story and share any information on-air and online as it becomes available.

http://www.myfoxal.com/story/27527142/uab-football-program-will-be-shut-down

Dawg in Dallas
12-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Unbelievable the pull Bama grads have on other schools in that state. It is shameful.

lbzdually
12-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Well the players can leave and become eligible right away, so are any of them headed to the SEC?

IBCW
12-02-2014, 01:48 PM
Uh....UAB hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire with their recruiting.....alot of 2-star kids with a few 3 -stars thrown in. Many may get picked up by FCS schools....possibly.

Really Big Bama Fan
12-02-2014, 02:12 PM
Unbelievable the pull Bama grads have on other schools in that state. It is shameful.

The Governor of Alabama has considerable influence over the Board of Trustees at several schools in Alabama. Depending upon the school, he appoints board members, and in some cases he can remove board members. That is not the case for the University of Alabama. The Alabama Board of trustees is self-perpetuating. Board members select any replacement members with the approval of the Alabama State Senate. This was done to avoid undue political influence over the University. Protests will have no influence over the self-perpetuating Board.

Dawg in Dallas
12-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Thanks for proving my point.

Really Big Bama Fan
12-02-2014, 05:17 PM
Thanks for proving my point.

You're welcome!

Herchel
12-02-2014, 06:00 PM
That coach won't be unemployed long. He is good.