Bo Pelini.....HE GONE [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Bo Pelini.....HE GONE

Storm
11-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Tom VanHaaren ‏@TomVH 4m4 minutes ago

RT @Huskers: Director of Athletics Shawn Eichorst has dismissed Head Football Coach Bo Pelini effective immediately. Press conference 1pm.

WTF, Nebraska fires Pelini before Michigan fires Hoke. What a train wreck

Optik
11-30-2014, 12:20 PM
I'm surprised it happened at all coming off 9-3, but especially this quickly.

Bama_Man
11-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Nebraska now fired TWO coaches after nine win seasons. WTF?

And wow Optik I never knew, apparently I had joined one month before you. We are like lifers here, ten years in next fall.

Really Big Bama Fan
11-30-2014, 12:55 PM
Nebraska now fired TWO coaches after nine win seasons. WTF?

And wow Optik I never knew, apparently I had joined one month before you. We are like lifers here, ten years in next fall.

Time flies by when you are having fun!

Bama_Man
11-30-2014, 12:56 PM
Time flies by when you are having fun!

You've been here a year longer than us, congrats on stickin round

Storm
11-30-2014, 01:36 PM
1 year on the internet is like 10 in real life. I need a cane to get around this place :lol:

GDawg88
11-30-2014, 01:50 PM
I understand the frustration of being stuck in 9-win purgatory, but Nebraska football, like Michigan football and Notre Dame football, is a relic of a bygone era. Demographic shifts away from the Midwest and ever-expanding TV contracts don't bode well for a return to glory.

I never really cared for Pelini. I thought he was kind of a douche. But he probably did as much as could have been reasonably expected. Unless Nebraska hires the next Urban Meyer, I don't see their fortunes dramatically improving.

LSUTigers1404
11-30-2014, 10:31 PM
I understand the frustration of being stuck in 9-win purgatory, but Nebraska football, like Michigan football and Notre Dame football, is a relic of a bygone era. Demographic shifts away from the Midwest and ever-expanding TV contracts don't bode well for a return to glory.

I never really cared for Pelini. I thought he was kind of a douche. But he probably did as much as could have been reasonably expected. Unless Nebraska hires the next Urban Meyer, I don't see their fortunes dramatically improving.

I agree with this. Those schools were great during a different time. Even Tennessee is having a rough time getting their crap together.

Herchel
12-01-2014, 06:10 AM

Nebraska never had in-state talent. They recruited nationally, like UT. Mike Rozier was from NJ, etc.

scgamecock312
12-01-2014, 08:16 AM
Nebraska expects to win championships and I don't blame them.

GDawg88
12-01-2014, 11:06 AM
Nebraska never had in-state talent. They recruited nationally, like UT. Mike Rozier was from NJ, etc.
They always had a lot of guys from Florida during their heyday, too. Kids used to go to schools like Nebraska to get on TV, but they don't have to anymore. They can stay close to home and still be in the spotlight every week.

Dr.SwineSmeller
12-01-2014, 11:19 AM

If I'm not mistaken, it took Tom Osborne about 10 years to really kick Nebraska into gear, didn't it? I think Nebraska knew that while Pelini could get 8 to 10 wins a season, he was never going to take the team to the level of Meyer and Ohio State, or even Wisconsin and Michigan State, and therefore he was sent walking and Nebraska leaves themselves looking for another hope and a prayer.

Herchel
12-01-2014, 11:33 AM
If I'm not mistaken, it took Tom Osborne about 10 years to really kick Nebraska into gear, didn't it? I think Nebraska knew that while Pelini could get 8 to 10 wins a season, he was never going to take the team to the level of Meyer and Ohio State, or even Wisconsin and Michigan State, and therefore he was sent walking and Nebraska leaves themselves looking for another hope and a prayer.
Osborne followed Bob Devaney, who made the program elite. He won back-to-back NCs in 70 and 71. Osborne inherited a 9-2-1 team in 73. They were already in gear when Osborne started.

Dr.SwineSmeller
12-01-2014, 11:35 AM
Osborne followed Bob Devaney, who made the program elite. He won back-to-back NCs in 70 and 71. Osborne inherited a 9-2-1 team in 73. They were already in gear when Osborne started.

Ah. Thanks Herc.

Dr.SwineSmeller
12-01-2014, 11:37 AM
WTF, Nebraska fires Pelini before Michigan fires Hoke. What a train wreck

Michigan is firing Hoke? Why?

Storm
12-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Michigan is firing Hoke? Why?

Is that a serious question?

Really Big Bama Fan
12-01-2014, 01:08 PM

True. Nebraska fans believe that another Tom Osborne or Bob Devaney is all that is needed for them to return to glory.

Herchel
12-01-2014, 01:21 PM
True. Nebraska fans believe that another Tom Osborne or Bob Devaney is all that is needed for them to return to glory.
I think it is harder now. But I do believe the HC is the most critical for the success of a team.

MKfromPA
12-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Not surprised at this move. Pelini did not advance the status of the Nebraska football program during his tenure. He underachieved according to expectations. Sad part is he had time to get back on track and was not able to.