***Clemson @ Wake*** interesting play. [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : ***Clemson @ Wake*** interesting play.

2008 National Champions
11-06-2014, 08:31 PM
Not much going on here but I just saw something that I have never seen before. At least not that I remember seeing.

Score is 7-3 Wake.

Wake is back to punt the ball to Clemson.

The snap is low and while going down to field the low snap the punters knee touches the ground.

First down Clemson at the spot of the knee, the 23 yard line.

That sucks. Just another reason to get rid of that rule and have players have be downed by contact like the NFL.

planetalker
11-07-2014, 08:13 AM
Why? This is college football, not pro football.

2008 National Champions
11-07-2014, 05:29 PM
Why? This is college football, not pro football.

Because it's a stupid rule. In my opinion.

planetalker
11-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Because it's a stupid rule. In my opinion.

Well it's not a stupid rule. In my opinion.

xAuBuRn
11-07-2014, 08:08 PM

Yes it is.

planetalker
11-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Why do you want college football to imitate the NFL? College football is different...thank goodness. The NFL manipulates the rules to favor the offense so that they can score more points and this rule is just one example. Let's keep the differences.

2008 National Champions
11-08-2014, 11:53 AM

That's cool, man.

2008 National Champions
11-08-2014, 11:58 AM
Why do you want college football to imitate the NFL? College football is different...thank goodness. The NFL manipulates the rules to favor the offense so that they can score more points and this rule is just one example. Let's keep the differences.

To close off any ideas that may evolve the game and make it better is just silly. Not everything the NFL does is perfect, but some of it's rules are superior to things the NCAA does and should be adopted.

The running clock is one. Not stopping the clock on first downs is another. The two minute warning. The knee rule already mentioned. NCAA should require two feet in bounds like the NFL. Spot fouls for defensive pass interference is a huge change the NCAA needs to incorporate. I also think the NCAA should adopt the NFL overtime rules. Or at least move the starting spot back to the 40 yard line.

planetalker
11-08-2014, 05:35 PM
To close off any ideas that may evolve the game and make it better is just silly. Not everything the NFL does is perfect, but some of it's rules are superior to things the NCAA does and should be adopted.

The running clock is one. Not stopping the clock on first downs is another. The two minute warning. The knee rule already mentioned. NCAA should require two feet in bounds like the NFL. Spot fouls for defensive pass interference is a huge change the NCAA needs to incorporate. I also think the NCAA should adopt the NFL overtime rules. Or at least move the starting spot back to the 40 yard line.

I hear what you are saying, I just don't think those things "evolve" the college game. It changes it but I don't consider those things as improving the college game. For instance, why is it better to require 2 feet in bounds for the completion? Also why should we adopt NFL overtime rules? The NFL rules seem to favor the coin toss over the play on the field. ?

Bama_Man
11-08-2014, 07:09 PM
I don't wanna see the NCAA adopt the clock rules or two feet down, the clock rules lead to awesome finishes and you see some crazy catches that only get one foot down.

But agree big time on defensive PI. You shouldn't reward a team on a 60 yard PI call by only giving the offense 15 yards. Spot foul is a more fair system

Cockee Don
11-10-2014, 04:55 PM
I don't wanna see the NCAA adopt the clock rules or two feet down, the clock rules lead to awesome finishes and you see some crazy catches that only get one foot down.

But agree big time on defensive PI. You shouldn't reward a team on a 60 yard PI call by only giving the offense 15 yards. Spot foul is a more fair system

I disagree on pass interference. I like the college rule much, much better. By penalizing at the spot, you are assuming that the receiver would have made the catch. That is far from a guarantee. Also, I dislike a 50-yard penalty on most of those questionable, tick-tack interference calls. It is way too much of a punishment, and assuming a catch.

Bama_Man
11-11-2014, 01:30 PM
But it goes both ways. You don't know said player won't make the catch, and a defender can blatantly interfere with someone on a 60 yard pass knowing the offense only gets 15 yards. I agree there are a lot of ticky tacky calls on PI, but if you make it a spot foul, maybe defenders are less inclined to commit a foul.

WouldE
11-13-2014, 01:06 PM
I like the NCAA rules better than the NFL...especially the clock stopping on first downs.

One thing I would like to see is a better/faster replay review system. It's annoying sometimes when you have 2-3 breaks in a short time while the refs review for a few mins. Yeah, it's important to get it right but you'd think the review booth could get the call on most plays to the refs a lot quicker, and not need to stop play so often.

Another annoying thing is the refs blowing the play dead after a fumble because they think the carrier was down...if it's close let it play out then let the replay show if the runner was down. Seen a lot of big plays where the defense got screwed because the refs blew the play dead when they shouldn't have.

Bama_Man
11-13-2014, 04:28 PM
God huge ++++++++++ on how long college reviews take. Games last forever bc they can't speed it up.

The clock rules at the ends of games makes for so much excitement, so many dramatic endings.

Optik
11-29-2014, 12:29 AM

SOME of it is, but not everything like you seem to be advocating with that list.

For this situation, I would like a provision for the punter or QB or whoever is receiving the snap to not be down if they touch during the process of getting the snap or recovering a bad snap in the immediate area. If they have to chase it twenty yards, normal rules apply and they are down and once they've secured the snap, normal rules apply. Up until that point, they could literally lay on the ground to receive the snap if they chose.

I hate the running clock and would prefer to go back to 25 seconds. Love stopping the clock on 1st down and, more importantly, in conjunction with the running clock, you MUST have this. I like the 2-minute warning, the NCAA should adopt that. No on 2-feet rule, in fact I wouldn't hate it if the NFL went back to one foot, though I like how it feel it is sort of a skill progression. Not every guy is elite and going on to the NFL and I think it is too much to ask and would hurt the game for most of these guys to need 2 feet in in college.

I'm torn on the spot foul for PI, I don't like how the 15 yard version encourages guys to commit PI on passes longer than that. However it is also something I feel is similar to a skill progression and I don't mind expecting more out of the NFL player, but the guy in college isn't necessarily looking to make a living out of this. Maybe some kind of graded system based on distance and/or severity. I do think that defenses currently get off light on PI on deep passes and it's something that really should be addressed.

As for what you suggest regarding overtime...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDgq-K2oYLo

NFL needs to adopt college rules. NFL overtime f'ing sucks, I hate it. Sudden death OT is crap and too often rewards a stroke of luck instead of skill. College OT can do the same, but it does so far less often. IMO.