Coach June Jones Resigns [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Coach June Jones Resigns

Really Big Bama Fan
09-09-2014, 05:57 PM
Sorry to see him free his Mustangs. He started with great fanfare and enthusiasm. Maybe he should have stayed in Hawaii?

On the other hand, either Coach Chizik or Coach Nutt would probably enjoy life in Dallas (http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/09/08/june-jones-resigns-smu-mustangs).

SMU coach June Jones announced his resignation after two games this season.

Less than two full seasons into its tenure in the American Athletic Conference, the SMU program will have to move on to another head coach. On Monday Leigh Steinberg, the agent of Mustangs’ coach June Junes, announced that Jones had resigned as SMU head coach.

“June had felt for some time he had accomplished mission to turn around program and needed a break,” Steinberg posted on Twitter.

SMU officially announced Jones’s resignation later Monday afternoon. The school cited “personal issues” behind Jones’ move and said the decision to resign was the coach’s own. Tom Mason, the team's associate head coach and defensive coordinator, will serve as head coach for the remainder of the year.

Dawg in Dallas
09-09-2014, 06:01 PM
SMU is doomed to mediocrity at best. Jones with his 7-5 records are about as good as SMU will ever do, given their limitations. This aint basketball.

Dawgilicious
09-09-2014, 06:54 PM
Will they win a National Title? No

But they have a chance for sustained success with the right guy since they can recruit the state of Texas

houndofthebaskervols
09-09-2014, 08:16 PM
Yeah Jones was dumb to leave Hawaii. I dont even think Saban could resurrect SMU.

Dawgilicious
09-09-2014, 08:18 PM
He left Hawaii cause the university was not supporting the program or anything. he went to 4 bowl games at SMU and had them becoming more consistent. They can recruit the state of Texas and its not the worst job in the country

MKfromPA
09-09-2014, 08:30 PM
SMU is doomed to mediocrity at best. Jones with his 7-5 records are about as good as SMU will ever do, given their limitations. This aint basketball.

I think so, too. Not looking good for the Mustangs... they played horrible against Baylor, and looked like a total wreck against North Texas. I was surprised at both of their sound defeats.

Really Big Bama Fan
09-10-2014, 08:49 AM
The lingering aftereffects of the NCAA's Death Penalty--SMU, and even universities such as Alabama, feel the full and lengthy ferocity of enforcement, while the Southern Cals and the Pen States of the nation are quickly resurrected.

Dawg in Dallas
09-10-2014, 09:36 AM
The lingering aftereffects of the NCAA's Death Penalty--SMU, and even universities such as Alabama, feel the full and lengthy ferocity of enforcement, while the Southern Cals and the Pen States of the nation are quickly resurrected.

Please spare me comparing Bama to SMU. When Bama was eligible for the death penalty, they skated. Bama HAS not been treated harshly by the NCAA.

SCgamecock2988
09-10-2014, 09:41 AM
Please spare me comparing Bama to SMU. When Bama was eligible for the death penalty, they skated. Bama HAS not been treated harshly by the NCAA.

I think you emphasized the wrong word in that last sentence..

Dawg in Dallas
09-10-2014, 09:51 AM
:lol: you would be CORRECT

Really Big Bama Fan
09-10-2014, 10:04 AM
:lol: you would be CORRECT

So you agree that the punishments for Penn State's offenses deserved to be mitigated? Okay, then let the Mustangs fade away into oblivion, but at least they were never child molesters.

TexasFight
09-10-2014, 12:25 PM
So you agree that the punishments for Penn State's offenses deserved to be mitigated? Okay, then let the Mustangs fade away into oblivion, but at least they were never child molesters.

I'm pretty sure the Penn State football players weren't child molesters, considering they were children themselves. Unless you support punishing the innocent, which is all the Penn State penalties ever accomplished, then you should be happy that the NCAA finally did the right thing and rescinded those bogus penalties.

Really Big Bama Fan
09-10-2014, 12:31 PM
I'm pretty sure the Penn State football players weren't child molesters, considering they were children themselves. Unless you support punishing the innocent, which is all the Penn State penalties ever accomplished, then you should be happy that the NCAA finally did the right thing and rescinded those bogus penalties.

NCAA penalties are always after the fact. That's the way the system is designed. SMU was from the Southwest Conference, not the mighty and influential B1G, when the death penalty was imposed.

TexasFight
09-10-2014, 12:41 PM
NCAA penalties are always after the fact. That's the way the system is designed. SMU was from the Southwest Conference, not the mighty and influential B1G, when the death penalty was imposed.

The difference to me is that what happened with SMU was football related. Actual manipulation of competition by maintaining a comprehensive slush fund for the best football players money could buy. The only entities that should've handled the Penn State case were law enforcement and the courts. As far as I'm concerned, the NCAA had no right to cripple the football program, and I've been saying that from day one.

Really Big Bama Fan
09-10-2014, 02:44 PM
The difference to me is that what happened with SMU was football related. Actual manipulation of competition by maintaining a comprehensive slush fund for the best football players money could buy. The only entities that should've handled the Penn State case were law enforcement and the courts. As far as I'm concerned, the NCAA had no right to cripple the football program, and I've been saying that from day one.

The NCAA will use the work of law enforcement authorities during its investigations, but is a law unto itself, conducting independent investigations, targeting boosters, utilizing secret witnesses, accumulating evidence, and then acting as combined judge, jury, and executioner.

Really Big Bama Fan
09-10-2014, 02:48 PM
On the other hand, either Coach Chizik or Coach Nutt would probably enjoy life in Dallas (http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/09/08/june-jones-resigns-smu-mustangs).

My speculation (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/10/houston-nutt-would-take-smu-job-if-offered/) on Coach Nutt may not have been too inaccurate.

Another name? Houston Nutt, who readily acknowledged that he would most certainly be interested in the Mustangs gig if the opportunity afforded itself.

Nutt: “If offered of the SMU job, I would take it because I live down in this area. It’s a good job."—
RJ Hawk (@RJHawk) September 10, 2014

Dawg in Dallas
09-10-2014, 03:10 PM

NO, I am saying that you need to quit whining about Bama. Bama received preferential treatment (compared to SMU), when they did not receive the DP despite their violations clearly placing the Tide in a place where the DP would be appropriate punishment.

My comment was not directed at Penn State or USC - just your absurd insistence that Bama has not been treated favorably.

BigBamaFan
09-10-2014, 03:30 PM
Im sure there is more to the story like the timing. Funny after a weekend we're the big 10 eliminated itself the ncaa says Oh you guys are fixing the problem so we're going to drop these sanctions

Really Big Bama Fan
09-10-2014, 04:09 PM
NO, I am saying that you need to quit whining about Bama. Bama received preferential treatment (compared to SMU), when they did not receive the DP despite their violations clearly placing the Tide in a place where the DP would be appropriate punishment.

My comment was not directed at Penn State or USC - just your absurd insistence that Bama has not been treated favorably.

I never expect anything less from you.

Dawg in Dallas
09-10-2014, 04:12 PM
I realize the truth is inconveint for you.

SMU eligible for DP, gets DP.

Bama eligible for DP, doesn't get DP

RBBF says Bama and SMU treated unfairly. Stupid. One of those two schools got a far more severe punishment than the other. Bama got preferential treatment compared to SMU - that is not a claim, that is a FACT.

Really Big Bama Fan
09-10-2014, 05:07 PM
I realize the truth is inconveint for you.

SMU eligible for DP, gets DP.

Bama eligible for DP, doesn't get DP

RBBF says Bama and SMU treated unfairly. Stupid. One of those two schools got a far more severe punishment than the other. Bama got preferential treatment compared to SMU - that is not a claim, that is a FACT.

The details of the SMU case are hazy in my memory, but didn't it involve loss of institutional control? Likewise, higher members of Penn State's administration were involved in the cover-up of child rape. Alabama was never accused of any "loss of control." Perhaps that was a mitigating circumstance in the eyes of NCAA enforcement?

Dawg in Dallas
09-10-2014, 05:22 PM
The details of the SMU case are hazy in my memory, but didn't it involve loss of institutional control? Likewise, higher members of Penn State's administration were involved in the cover-up of child rape. Alabama was never accused of any "loss of control." Perhaps that was a mitigating circumstance in the eyes of NCAA enforcement?

Perhaps you need a refresher (http://www.thefullwiki.org/Death_penalty_(NCAA)) about Bama's transgressions, despite my posting them in past when you make your absurd claims.

Alabama football (2002)

Since the SMU case, the closest that the NCAA has come to imposing the "death penalty" against a football program was against the University of Alabama (http://www.thefullwiki.org/University_of_Alabama) in 2002. The most severe violation involved boosters paying players (most notably Albert Means (http://www.thefullwiki.org/Albert_Means)) to come to Alabama. Alabama was eligible for the "death penalty" because of a 1999 case in which men's basketball assistant coach Tyrone Beaman tried to convince boosters to help him start a slush fund for recruits. The boosters immediately contacted the athletics department, Beaman was fired and the incident was self-reported to the NCAA. Infractions committee chairman Thomas Yeager said that the committee seriously considered giving Alabama the "death penalty." He called the violations "some of the worst, most serious that have ever occurred" in NCAA history and claimed that the Crimson Tide were "absolutely staring down the barrel of a gun." It finally settled on five years' probation, a two-year bowl ban and the loss of 21 scholarships over three years. Yeager strongly hinted that if the Tide committed another major violation during the five-year period, it was very likely that it would get the death penalty.[11] (http://www.thefullwiki.org/Death_penalty_(NCAA)#cite_note-10)

But Bama, being Bama got preferential treatment from the NCAA. So pleas, please quit whining about how the NCAA is hard on you - particularly when compared to SMU.

Really Big Bama Fan
09-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Perhaps you need a refresher (http://www.thefullwiki.org/Death_penalty_(NCAA)) about Bama's transgressions, despite my posting them in past when you make your absurd claims.

But Bama, being Bama got preferential treatment from the NCAA. So pleas, please quit whining about how the NCAA is hard on you - particularly when compared to SMU.

So no charge of "loss of control" as I stated. But I suppose legalisms mean nothing to you?

On the other hand, an out of control booster is obviously deserving of much worse punishment than covering-up for a child rapist, right?

Dawg in Dallas
09-10-2014, 05:50 PM
So no charge of "loss of control" as I stated. But I suppose legalisms mean nothing to you?

On the other hand, an out of control booster is obviously deserving of much worse punishment than covering-up for a child rapist, right?

Let me say it again - Bama was eligible for and did NOT receive the DP. Yet Bama fan wants to lump itself in with SMU who was eligible for and DID get the DP. Perhaps you didn't see it the first time:

some of the worst, most serious that have ever occurred" in NCAA history

You can nit pick all you want. Will you at least admit that Bama was cut some slack? Do you even know what the sanctions were against USC? Do you think compared to the break Bama got, that the NCAA was more preferential towards USC than Bama? Please.

Hell, I'd just be happy if you would quit comparing the modest punishment Bama got to the DP that SMU got. There is an ocean of difference between the two punishments.

Really Big Bama Fan
09-10-2014, 06:06 PM
Let me say it again - Bama was eligible for and did NOT receive the DP. Yet Bama fan wants to lump itself in with SMU who was eligible for and DID get the DP. Perhaps you didn't see it the first time:

some of the worst, most serious that have ever occurred" in NCAA history

You can nit pick all you want. Will you at least admit that Bama was cut some slack? Do you even know what the sanctions were against USC? Do you think compared to the break Bama got, that the NCAA was more preferential towards USC than Bama? Please.

Hell, I'd just be happy if you would quit comparing the modest punishment Bama got to the DP that SMU got. There is an ocean of difference between the two punishments.

In N.C.A.A. parlance, “lack of institutional control” is a hazy, almost undefinable term. It is also the organization’s ultimate admonishment, the phrase it utters before handing down its most severe penalties.

One last time, for those who came in late: Alabama was never charged with "lack of institutional control (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/sports/ncaafootball/penn-state-scandal-poses-tough-choices-for-ncaa.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0)" despite the prejudicial statements by Thomas Yeager.

The "ocean of difference (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11489258/ncaa-drops-postseason-ban-penn-state-nittany-lions)" starts in State College, PA, not in Tuscaloosa.

Dawg in Dallas
09-10-2014, 06:17 PM
I take you aren't willing to admit it. I am not surprised, your whining on this subject has been going on for five plus years at this point.

You still think USC got off easy? When their sanctions came down in 2010 - despite all your whining about favorable treatment they had received - you were strangely absent, when they got hammered. Some examples of your past whining (http://www.secfanatics.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70281&page=2):

The ironic thing is that Reggie Bush got free housing for his parents, and Southern Cal went unpunished, but some Bama players abuse their school book privileges and the NCAA launches an investigation of "major" violations.

This is Alabama, not Southern Cal. I expect some scholarships to be lost, but the real danger is that the probationary window will be extended for several more years, the longer it is opened, the greater the chance that another obsessed booster like Logan Young will try to "help" the program again--resulting in the Death Penalty for Crimson Tide football.

Poor, poor Bama, so mistreated by the NCAA. Eligible for DP, didn't get it. Some of the most serious violations in NCAA history and avoids DP and RBBF thinks Bama is persecuted. :cry:

Really Big Bama Fan
09-10-2014, 09:51 PM
I take you aren't willing to admit it. I am not surprised, your whining on this subject has been going on for five plus years at this point.

You still think USC got off easy? When their sanctions came down in 2010 - despite all your whining about favorable treatment they had received - you were strangely absent, when they got hammered. Some examples of your past whining (http://www.secfanatics.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70281&page=2):

Poor, poor Bama, so mistreated by the NCAA. Eligible for DP, didn't get it. Some of the most serious violations in NCAA history and avoids DP and RBBF thinks Bama is persecuted. :cry:
I made this thread about SMU. I only mentioned Alabama in passing. An Alabama fan mentioning Alabama is whining only if you are afflicted with envy and allow it to bother you. Hopefully, SMU will do well under a new coach.

Dawg in Dallas
09-10-2014, 10:26 PM
You brought Bama into this - Not me. Your post was so out of bounds it deserved ridicule.

Yes RBBF - you mentioned Bama and lumped them in with SMU - which is ridiculous. You also minimized USC's punishment - a few years after you claimed they went unpunished - despite the fact that the investigation is ongoing.

I am an alum of SMU - one of my best friends went to undergrad and law school there and ran Peruna at the FB games. I held season tickets to SMU FB for years and still will take in a game now and again when a better FB game isn't on my TV. It was a power school, but during my experience with them they are so far out of their depth. That has a lot to do with the NCAA and the DP.

To claim that the NCAA has treated Bama in a manner similarly to SMU is offensive. To claim that the NCAA went lightly on USC when compared to Bama is equally ridiculous.

Really Big Bama Fan
09-11-2014, 12:07 AM
You brought Bama into this - Not me. Your post was so out of bounds it deserved ridicule.

Yes RBBF - you mentioned Bama and lumped them in with SMU - which is ridiculous. You also minimized USC's punishment - a few years after you claimed they went unpunished - despite the fact that the investigation is ongoing.

I am an alum of SMU - one of my best friends went to undergrad and law school there and ran Peruna at the FB games. I held season tickets to SMU FB for years and still will take in a game now and again when a better FB game isn't on my TV. It was a power school, but during my experience with them they are so far out of their depth. That has a lot to do with the NCAA and the DP.

To claim that the NCAA has treated Bama in a manner similarly to SMU is offensive. To claim that the NCAA went lightly on USC when compared to Bama is equally ridiculous.

We aren't discussing politics. This is football. Be happy. Take a deep breath, and don't let everything that I say bury itself so deeply into your sensitive emotions.

ugabrad
09-11-2014, 12:21 AM
There is probably a good reason for no "lack of institutional control" charge being leveled against Alabama - because their administration is fully in tune with all the cheating that has happened there over the years. :raz:

Storm
09-11-2014, 06:37 AM
Spare me the pity party for Ped State players. When you sign on to play for a school that's in the middle of sanctions levied by the NCAA, how can that be considered punishing the innocent? They chose to go the college that enable child rape. That's their problem, not mine.

It's like buying a home next to an airport then complaining about the noise.

Still can't believe they lifted the penalties early on those bastards. Such a travesty. Especially to see the student body hold a rally after they got it lifted and start chanting "we want joe" and "where's our statue." It's a cult of brainless ****wads in Happy Vally.

Really Big Bama Fan
09-11-2014, 09:04 AM
There is probably a good reason for no "lack of institutional control" charge being leveled against Alabama - because their administration is fully in tune with all the cheating that has happened there over the years. :raz:

Okay, fine with me. Y'all just excuse the accomplices at State Penn. SMU must have deserved its ignominious fate.

http://media.pennlive.com/midstate_impact/photo/11298743-large.jpg

ugabrad
09-11-2014, 11:13 AM
Can you point out where in my joke/post I said anything about Penn St?

Really Big Bama Fan
09-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Can you point out where in my joke/post I said anything about Penn St?

To expedite discussion in this thread I have lumped you and DiD into the same category of Southern Cal and Penn State apologists.

ugabrad
09-11-2014, 03:44 PM
All I was doing was cracking a joke about 'Bama. I guess that deserves retaliation, eh?

Really Big Bama Fan
09-11-2014, 03:49 PM
All I was doing was cracking a joke about 'Bama. I guess that deserves retaliation, eh?

The NCAA enforcement people are not funny if your team is from the South.

Dawg in Dallas
09-11-2014, 04:17 PM
The NCAA enforcement people are not funny if your team is from the South.

:cry: Poor Bama.

Don't take this so seriously RBBF, you team got preferential treatment. Be happy!

Really Big Bama Fan
09-11-2014, 04:59 PM
The big ole “S” at the start of SMU may lead folks to conclude that Southern-ways once existed at that institution of higher learning. Perhaps that is the reason clandestine university cash funds were more deserving of the Death Penalty than Penn State’s mere cover-up of child rape?

Dawg in Dallas
09-11-2014, 05:24 PM
I am not defending PSU or the NCAA. Just mocking you for claiming that Bama hasn't gotten preferential treatment and is treated similarly as SMU.

Really Big Bama Fan
09-11-2014, 05:45 PM
Further to the discussion of Coach June Jones, I wonder if he would consider the Vandy job?

Dawg in Dallas
09-11-2014, 05:49 PM
In watching the first two SMU games, it looked like he was burnt out. I think next year he may be coaching somewhere, but he needs a break.

Storm
09-11-2014, 07:15 PM
didn't he leave Hawaii over some gay slur or something?

ugabrad
09-12-2014, 12:28 AM
The story was that the Hawaii administration refused to give him the facilities and staffing he wanted. I think it was due to the embarrassment of having his team throttled by the Georgia Bulldogs in the sUGAr Bowl in front of a national audience.

Dawgilicious
09-12-2014, 04:43 AM
Yeah hawaii's administration was not committed to adding finances and facility upgrades, so he left. Hard to stay ahead of the game when your bosses don't support it 100%

georgiaguy31015
09-13-2014, 11:44 AM
Even Eric Dickerson said don't give him the death penalty excuse that was 30 years ago and I have to agree wit him. Sooner or later that is going to be so far in the past that it will not matter. I don't know what SMU's problem is or if there's even a problem. I felt like Jones could get them back to respectable and I guess he did but either he's burnt out or he didn't want to coach a team that had been outscored 80-6 the last two games but I don't think the death penalty plays into an excuse anymore.