Miami not making much progress under Golden. [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Miami not making much progress under Golden.

houndofthebaskervols
09-01-2014, 11:19 PM
I'm not ready to believe that Louisville is this good.

GatorMan32
09-02-2014, 09:21 AM
I was so sad for Miami. Really. No seriously LOL

Optik
09-03-2014, 11:15 AM
I was so sad for Miami. Really. No seriously LOL

I was reading one of their pay boards after the game and the melting down from some of their fans is pretty funny. There is a large contingent that has just given up until the next coach too. I do almost feel bad for them, it has to really suck to be in that position. I mean, at least Tennessee has a light at the end of the tunnel, it is pitch dark for Miami.

GatorMan32
09-03-2014, 12:09 PM
They have no stadium, they have a small alumni base and most of it does not care for their football program in reality and they have no real home grown die hard fan base. Fans in Miami change allegiance with the weather. Without any real money, they will never land a big time coach or have great facilities. Short of cheating again at record levels, like before, they will never win another title.

Bubba
09-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Miami is a sleeping GIANT. the talent base in that area, let alone, they could build a Championship team from Dade County alone.

Imagine Kevin Sumlin in South Beach........

they have not tapped into that potential because they dont have the right coach.

Herchel
09-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Miami is a sleeping GIANT. the talent base in that area, let alone, they could build a Championship team in Dade County alone.

they have not tapped into that potential because they dont have the right coach.

Read GMan's post. He is dead on the money, except for never win again. Think a poor man's version of Southern Cal. SoCal is located in a ghetto, and has no on campus stadium. What they do have is a long winning tradition from when the neighborhood was better.

GatorMan32
09-03-2014, 03:54 PM
FWIW I think unless they find a great young coach to go there before he gets a big pay day I am just not sure they will get the coaching needed to win the whole thing. They will win games on south Florida talent at times but I was talking the whole thing.

OxfordSeminole
09-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Miami is a sleeping GIANT. the talent base in that area, let alone, they could build a Championship team from Dade County alone.

All that talent doesn't matter. Kids today want to be impressed. You take a kid from Dade County and he visits UF, FSU, and UM. He compares, campus, facilities, etc. Which school do you think is finishing third (by a wide margin)?

What are they gonna impress him with? Some fire extinguishers in that stupid entrance? Yeah ok.

GM was spot on. Their alumni don't care. They have no fan support. No budget for athletics. They aren't getting back to where they once were.

Friedchickenman
09-03-2014, 07:51 PM
The problem for Miami is that they can't be Miami anymore. The taunting, dancing, and showboating are all penalties now. As is said above is true as well. Alumni just isn't that interested in football, and the school doesn't budget competitively in athletics anymore.

georgiaguy31015
09-03-2014, 07:53 PM
Two questions. Number one why doesn't the alumni care? That blows my mind. Second is Golden on the hot seat there. Yes I know it's one game but come on they looked pitiful absolutely pitiful.

GatorMan32
09-03-2014, 08:30 PM
They are a small private school. People pay an outrageous amount of money to go there. People who go there are there to get the most of that money. Also they have a lot of international students. So there just isn't an interest. I grew up in FtL and I went to school with one person who was going to Miami because they loved the school. One. Here is the funny thing, the margin of difference between UF and UM in academic rankings is almost non existent and UF is nowhere near as expensive so its a much better deal.

MKfromPA
09-04-2014, 09:10 PM
They have no stadium, they have a small alumni base and most of it does not care for their football program in reality and they have no real home grown die hard fan base. Fans in Miami change allegiance with the weather. Without any real money, they will never land a big time coach or have great facilities. Short of cheating again at record levels, like before, they will never win another title.

Well said. Times were different 15 years ago when the 'Canes were near the top of college football. Their 2000 and 2001 squads were unbelievable. That was back when they had Larry Coker, a guy who knew how to win. Miami drew fans like crazy to the Orange Bowl in those days. He11 they were a national power! IMO if they want to get back to that level they had better start winning the ACC. Right now they are not because Florida State is big brother. The U has to punch them into the mouth somehow. It's going to be difficult given the 'Noles just won the National Championship. They're going to have to get fighting on the recruiting trail too, because as you said, kids are going to want to go to UF and FSU over Miami right now..

GatorMan32
09-05-2014, 12:15 AM
Miami didnt win because of Coker they won because Davis left a roster with like 20 future first round picks on it. Coker with his own guys dropped off fast. Miami also cheated badly to win. They had fans because they won only. Without a real alumni base to pay for a real coaching staff they are done winning titles. Kids today won't even remember those teams any more.

georgiaguy31015
09-06-2014, 11:50 AM
That blows my mind that you spend 4 years or longer somewhere and you don't care what they do. I don't get that. I went to a small school that didn't have a football team, I spent 6 and half years there because I'm an idiot and it took that long to get a 4 year degree and I pay attention to their sports and I like to see them do well. Then again I'm a sports nut so I would assume most people going to Miami aren't sports fans.

houndofthebaskervols
09-08-2014, 04:27 PM

I have been in Florida for 8 years, I have never seen anybody wearing Miami gear. LOL I remember being shocked at the 85 Sugar Bowl when we
played the Canes, and there were maybe 1500 Miami fans at the game.

GatorMan32
09-08-2014, 04:46 PM
I have been in Florida for 8 years, I have never seen anybody wearing Miami gear. LOL I remember being shocked at the 85 Sugar Bowl when we

Unless you live in Miami or southern Broward the chances are you never will and even then its hardly a regular thing LOL

Heck Pup
09-09-2014, 08:48 AM

Last time I was in Florida they were all rocking Gator gear.

GatorMan32
09-09-2014, 10:14 AM
Here ya go, this quote from a Miami fan says it all.

obfan was there and said around 27k, that's not bad really considering, next week will say a lot, 3:30 kickoff, Arkansaw wont bring anybody so it will be all Cane fans

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=13&f=2927&t=13127032

Saying 27,000 fans at a home is "not bad really" says it all, doesn't it?

dnmuga93
09-09-2014, 11:43 AM
It bothers me personally to see Miami struggle.

My grandfather taught economics there for many years and I seriously considered going to school there.

He also taught at Duke but that wasn't happening (says the loyal UNC fan)...

MKfromPA
09-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Miami didnt win because of Coker they won because Davis left a roster with like 20 future first round picks on it. Coker with his own guys dropped off fast. Miami also cheated badly to win. They had fans because they won only. Without a real alumni base to pay for a real coaching staff they are done winning titles. Kids today won't even remember those teams any more.

I never knew that. I figured it was Coker who brought in those guys and won. When he was fired, at the time I believed it was one of the worst moves made by Miami (FL).

GatorMan32
09-10-2014, 03:50 PM
I never knew that. I figured it was Coker who brought in those guys and won. When he was fired, at the time I believed it was one of the worst moves made by Miami (FL).

Yeah those were Davis guys. In fact the year before their title, they won the Sugar Bowl v UF and were primed for that run already. Coker was more of a caretaker. Once they were devoid of Davis' talent, they fell fast. I mean Coker was an assistant under him so he would have helped in that but those were Butch Davis guys.