5* DT Trent Thompson commits to UGA! [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : 5* DT Trent Thompson commits to UGA!

Optik
08-12-2014, 07:21 PM
Thompson is a Dawg

The news doesn't get much bigger or more positive than it got for Georgia on Tuesday as Westover (Ga.) High School defensive tackle Trent Thompson committed to the Bulldogs in a ceremony at his school.

Trent Thompson is rated as the 2nd overall prospect in the country by the industry-generated 247Sports composite rankings.

The ceremony is where the commitment went public, but Thompson, whose decision came down to Georgia, Auburn and Alabama, says that he has known where he wants to play his college ball for a few weeks now.

"When I went to Dawg Night," Thompson said when asked when he knew Georgia was the team for him. "It just felt like home. A lot of the players talked to me and everything. Based on their opinion and my facts, it is the better place to go. I like the coaching staff. Coach (Tracy) Rocker, he's a great coach. He won the Lombardi Trophy and the Outland Trophy in the same year, and he can tell me inside and out how to play defensive tackle."

Once he knew, Thompson didn't wait long when it came to informing the Georgia coaching staff.

"Yeah, I told them (the Georgia staff). I told them at Dawg Night and they went crazy up there," he said. "I told some of them on the field but when I got to office everybody just broke loose."

Georgia's coaches weren't the only ones who welcomed the news. His mother, Bridgette Flewellen, was happy with both the decision and the timing of it.

"My mom was happy," he said. "She was glad that I'm doing it on this date because it is my grandma and granddaddy's anniversary. They are deceased, but I'm happy about the date, too."

Georgia was the first school to offer Thompson during the winter following his sophomore season and at that time it was offensive coordinator Mike Bobo who took the lead in the South Georgia standout's recruitment.

"Me and Mike Bobo have a great relationship," Thompson said of the UGA assistant. "He's always hitting me up on Facebook and making sure that I give him a call. We just talk about people we want to recruit in my class and make sure we have a great 2015 class."

Mike Bobo was instrumental in Georgia's ability to gain and keep the lead for Thompson.

When it comes to those he will be recruiting, Thompson is aiming quite high.

"Roquan Smith and Kevin Toliver, the one from Trinity (Christian)," Thompson said when asked what prospects he will be working on. "Really linebackers and defensive backs want to play with me. It is hard to find defensive linemen."

The blue chip lineman says his relationship with Smith is an especially close one and that the two have a mutual desire to play together at the next level.

"We are real tight" Thompson said of his bond with Smith. "We text like every day. He wants to play behind me and I hope he does."

In the end, Thompson says that the decision to commit to Georgia wasn't an easy one. Relationships he formed along the way at schools like Auburn and Alabama made it a tough call for the U.S. Army All-American.

"It was really hard," Thompson said. "Auburn won the SEC Championship. Me and Montravius (Adams) got tight and he wanted me to come with him. But I had to make the choice that was best for me."

It is unknown at this point whether or not Thompson will take visits to other schools, but right now he says that his main focus is on his senior season and being the best man and player he can be once he arrives in Athens.

"I'm ready. I think this is our chance to win. Its our road to the championship. We can win our first championship. We won our first region last year now it's time to go a step ahead of that and win our first championship," Thompson said.

"Off the field I want to be complete. I don't want to act out of place and make sure that I'm not playing for Trent Thompson but for the University of Georgia. Also, on the field, I want to make sure that I make big plays and win a National Championship. In the classroom, that is a big thing. You can be a champion in the classroom because education comes first."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHyfCdCt8Kk

:bow:

lbzdually
08-12-2014, 08:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHyfCdCt8Kk

:bow:

His explosion and quickness is awesome for a big guy, he decleats some pretty big running backs in that highlight reel with only one arm free.

Optik
08-12-2014, 08:15 PM
His explosion and quickness is awesome for a big guy, he decleats some pretty big running backs in that highlight reel with only one arm free.

We've not had a DT with the potential of Trent in a LONG time. Since probably at least Seymour and Stroud.

Friedchickenman
08-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Congrats on the commitment, he's an impact player. You can congratulate AU on signing day though. #thebagmancometh :rotf:

Heck Pup
08-12-2014, 10:48 PM
Congrats on the commitment, he's an impact player. You can congratulate AU on signing day though. #thebagmancometh :rotf:

D@mn you. Beat me to it.

georgiaguy31015
08-14-2014, 01:17 PM
Glad we got him and hopefully it's just the start but I am curious how does the kid go from number 1 to number 7 on the ESPN rankings?

Herchel
08-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Glad we got him and hopefully it's just the start but I am curious how does the kid go from number 1 to number 7 on the ESPN rankings?
He didn't go to the Nike camp, which dropped him. He is #2 on most of the sites, so I don't know why ESPN has him at #7.

Optik
08-14-2014, 08:24 PM

He didn't camp at all except the visits to UGA and AU. Think he only worked out at UGA one time even at that. His mom takes him on most of his visits and she is a single mother that works all the time so Trent wasn't able to hit the camp circuit like some of these guys do.

Optik
08-14-2014, 08:25 PM
He didn't go to the Nike camp, which dropped him. He is #2 on most of the sites, so I don't know why ESPN has him at #7.

God only knows. Their rankings are really bad this year, but they also tend to shake things up when they re-rank more than the others do.

tgfny
08-14-2014, 08:45 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/15/zyha3e6y.jpg

Kid's a stud and Rock reeled him in. Great get.

Dr.SwineSmeller
08-16-2014, 12:07 AM
That is a big boy.

He is going to sign with Arkansas.

georgiaguy31015
08-16-2014, 11:05 AM
I think that's pretty stupid to drop a kid just because he doesn't go to the camps. If you are the best player you are the best player and going to a camp or not going to a camp doesn't change that. Either way I guess rankings don't matter much.

Optik
11-27-2014, 10:37 AM
Trent's Senior highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1866681/highlights/206724375