2016 Pro QB Jacob Eason and OT Ben Cleveland commit to UGA [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Pro QB Jacob Eason and OT Ben Cleveland commit to UGA

Dawgilicious
07-19-2014, 08:55 PM
Eason is #1 Pro QB for 2016 and top 5 player according to 247. Eason is from Lake Stevens, WA

Cleveland is a 6'7'' 322 OT from Toccoa, GA and a 5*

lbzdually
07-19-2014, 09:03 PM
I was just going to post this. They are saying the Eason kid has the best HS arm they've seen since Stafford.

Optik
07-19-2014, 09:32 PM
I was just going to post this. They are saying the Eason kid has the best HS arm they've seen since Stafford.

Eason has the best QB tape, as a passer, that I've seen since Stafford. Easily. He is unreal. This is a HUGE get, I was fully him to us eventually after how well this weekend went, but didn't expect it to happen this soon. To get Cleveland with him is just a massive get, literally and figuratively. Both of these guys are hugely popular in the '16 class and a lot of top guys want to play with them.

This is seriously some of the biggest recruiting news we've ever had.

Optik
07-19-2014, 09:34 PM
Eason's video, remember he is just a sophomore here. Does such an amazing job of leading his receivers, so much touch and zip on his passes. He'd be the best QB in this class or '14, easily is the best in '16, so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siDYrgIX3Mk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-l8J00kdE8

xAuBuRn
07-19-2014, 09:43 PM
Two huge gets for UGA.

I'm surprised UGA has never had a #1 class at least that I can remember. I would not be the least bit surprised if 2016 they get the # 1 class depending on how many spots they will have.

Congrats.

Crazy how early recruiting starts now.

Optik
07-19-2014, 10:03 PM
Cleveland at DawgNight last night:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-K0A66IioxpI/U8oZb-aP2hI/AAAAAAAAAls/PtxaGQxUNxU/s1152/IMG_0978.JPG

He's a monster. :)

lbzdually
07-19-2014, 10:19 PM
Cleveland at DawgNight last night:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-K0A66IioxpI/U8oZb-aP2hI/AAAAAAAAAls/PtxaGQxUNxU/s1152/IMG_0978.JPG

He's a monster. :)

They have him at 320 and I don't see much fat on him.

Optik
07-19-2014, 10:30 PM
They have him at 320 and I don't see much fat on him.

6'7", 325 I think is what he weighed in at last night and runs a 5.0 in the 40. He has no fat, he is a freak.

This is a post from Ryan Bartow on 247 about the first time the met Cleveland.

Two springs ago, in March of 2013, I got a call from then Toccoa (GA) Stephens County coach Travis Noland. He said he had a stud and told all of the instate media but none had come out to check him out. I made the short trek from at the time South Carolina and it turned out to be a Top 3 school visit ever for me in the last 9 years.
There I met Ben Cleveland. Then a 14-year old freshman. He had visited Clemson once for a bowl practice that winter but hadn't received any college interest letters at that point.
When I arrived Noland told me before he opened the weight room: "get ready to see this freak."
I walk in and saw what I thought was an assistant coach or a 30-year old huge grown man.
Cleveland then went on to put on a show I had never seen. He ran a 5.0 flat that afternoon in the 40. He was running 200s around the track and more than keeping up with all of the skill players. He repped 300 pounds multiple times on the bench. At the end of workout he did 225 on the bench 22 times!!!
He was all of 6-7, 315. Lean and mean. Carried a 3.6 GPa. Looked like an OL that Wisconsin traditionally lines up with.
All this at the age of 14.
I'm was in awe and giddy leaving that place. Extremely rare.
I put out a story the next morning called "Huge Upside." Less than two hours later Cleveland picked up his first offer from Florida coach Will Muschamp.
He called to inform me of the news.
I remember it vividly: "Mr. Bartow thanks for the great story. The Gators offered. I appreciate it. I'm headed out to hunt some squirrels so I can get me some dinner."
Soon the likes of Texas, Georgia, Clemson and everyone else followed with offers.
He has college size, power, explosion and everything else you want at an extremely young age.
A legit all day 5-star get for the Dawgs.

Optik
07-19-2014, 10:32 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Z1vImOy7VQg/U8obGkAvAwI/AAAAAAAAAmk/pGesPeBWM4M/s1152/IMG_0587.JPG

Eason and Cleveland at DawgNight.

Optik
07-19-2014, 10:36 PM
@RadiNabulsi: I think Jacob Eason will adjust to the culture shock just fine... RT @skinnyqb10: The sweet tea down here is killer

Welcome home, Jacob. :cheers:

ugabrad
07-19-2014, 11:29 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Z1vImOy7VQg/U8obGkAvAwI/AAAAAAAAAmk/pGesPeBWM4M/s1152/IMG_0587.JPG

Eason and Cleveland at DawgNight.

Eason isn't a tiny boy either... 6'5" 205 according to the Seattle Times (who are bemoaning the fact that he didn't commit to UDub).

Dawgilicious
07-20-2014, 11:16 AM
One thing Eason will have to work on is playing in a Pro Style under center more than in HS, but he has great tools

Heck Pup
07-21-2014, 12:44 PM
Cleveland is from the next town over from me. He is a giant. Still plenty of time for Bama to purchase both of these kids though.

dnmuga93
07-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Eason isn't a tiny boy either... 6'5" 205 according to the Seattle Times (who are bemoaning the fact that he didn't commit to UDub).

I read the Seattle Times story to get their perspective. The reader comments were entertaining.

One reader in particular stated Eason didn't stay home because he was scared of the plethora of highly rated QBs already at UDub. Hello?! I guess we have chopped liver in Bauta, Ramsey, and Park, huh....

Dawg in Dallas
07-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Interview with Eason's father (http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2014/07/21/5-questions-with-jacob-eason-ugas-most-celebrated-qb-recruit-since-stafford/):

The day after Dawg Night 2014 (http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2014/07/19/ugas-dawg-night-in-pictures/) may have been the greatest non-signing day for UGA recruiting in the history of the football program.
The Bulldogs landed commitments from a pair of 5-star commitments for 2016 (http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2014/07/19/pair-of-5-stars-commit-to-uga/), quarterbackJacob Eason of Lake Stevens, Wash., and Stephens County High School offensive lineman Ben Cleveland.

https://cmgajcrecruiting.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/jacob-eason-2-4321.jpg?w=300&h=551 (https://cmgajcrecruiting.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/jacob-eason-2-4321.jpg)Jacob Eason, UGA’s highest-ranked QB recruit since Stafford (AJC/Michael Carvell)

Several longtime observers of Dawg Night said that the 6-foot-5 Eason had the strongest arm on UGA’s practice fields since a kid from Texas named Stafford. But you didn’t have to be a scouting expert to reach that conclusion if you saw Eason on one play during the 7-on-7 drills:
The 6-foot-5 Eason, without even using proper throwing motion, simply flicked wrist and launched a beautiful 65-yard pass spiral down the field. Two of UGA’s current quarterbacks, Brice Ramsey and Faton Bauta, were among the crowd of observers and looked at each in amazement.
Eason is UGA’s most celebrated QB recruit since Matthew Stafford. Eason is ranked as the nation’s No. 14 overall prospect, while Stafford was No. 6 in 2006 (Aaron Murraywas No. 18 in 2009).
Here are five questions with Tony Eason, Jacob’s father, who played college football at Notre Dame (and not to be confused with the former NFL quarterback by the same name):
Why UGA? “(Offensive coordinator Mike Bobo) came out twice to watch him throw and offered him early. We did some homework on Georgia before we ever came to Dawg Night. Offensively, we liked everything Bobo does to develop his quarterbacks, and getting them into the league. And Georgia’s pro-style system really fits Jacob. For his future in football and for what he wants to do, he just felt like that was a great fit. Bobo did a great job of letting Jacob know how much he liked him … Jacob felt most love from Georgia over anybody. So we weren’t coming in cold to UGA. When we got to Georgia, everybody was professional and there wasn’t anything negative to be found. And then when we got to the academic side of things, he wants to major in sports management and not everybody has that. That’s not a popular degree on the West Coast, to be honest with you. There’s only one other school that has it (out of that schools we were looking at). And that’s about it. There’s an advantage there. If he goes to summer school, he can wind up getting a double major. So there are a lot of advantages academically at Georgia, and it’s a top 20-25 school in the public sector. It’s a great mix of school, football and location. It’s beautiful down here. I had no idea it would be this green. It’s awesome.”
Why commit this early in the recruiting process? “We talked about it as a family. We all sat down. Nobody had any reservations about Georgia. He just felt so good about it. It felt like home to him. We talked about what was the advantage of waiting. There really was no advantage to waiting. Georgia is the place he wanted to be at, and he wants to be quarterback for the Bulldogs. What’s the purpose of dragging your feet and letting somebody else have that opportunity? Being Georgia’s quarterback is he job he wants. So hey, he took the opportunity.”
Lake Stevens High School is exactly 2,724 miles from UGA. How did distance factor into the decision? “For Jacob, it’s not going to be a big deal at all. Wherever he’s going to college, he’s going there on a year-round basis. He’ll go to summer school, and he may come home once or twice a year. So that’s not that big of an issue for him. The only issue will be for when Mom and Dad want to come to a game. We’re going to have to fly to a game. I look at it like when I grew up in Washington and I went to Notre Dame. I think going away from home helps you become independent and become a man. He was looking for the best fit for him and his future. Georgia hit a homerun in every category. What’s the difference between jumping in a plane for four or five hours and driving in a car for five and six hours? We didn’t really see much of a factor in that at all. We’ve got a direct flight from Seattle to Atlanta. And I can rent a car and get to Athens in about an hour. When I went to Notre Dame, I had to fly into Chicago, and a lot of times I had to switch planes in Denver. And then when you get to Chicago, you have to take a two-hour trip on the bus to South Bend. So Athens, even though it’s further away, is more convenient. I love the direct flights. And I didn’t want distance to hold him up. This is his future you’re talking about, and what’s going to give him the best chance of succeeding in life. I want him to have a great college experience. All across the board, we all felt like Georgia was the right fit for him.”

http://cmgajcrecruiting.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/mike-bobo-48890132.jpg?w=300&h=555 (https://cmgajcrecruiting.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/mike-bobo-48890132.jpg)Recruiting is all about the relationships: Bobo won over Eason by offering early and showing him he was serious with two visits to Washington state (AJC/Michael Carvell)

Recruiting is different than when you went to Notre Dame. Other colleges won’t give up until he signs in February 2016. Even though Jacob committed to UGA, will he still listen to other schools?“We talked about that. We’re not just throwing a commitment out here to lock something up. He’s all-in on Georgia. He wants to focus on high school now, and have a couple of good years of high school ball. When other college coaches call, it’s going to be really easy to say ‘I really appreciate you looking at me, but I’m committed to Georgia.’ That’s kind of the route I’m going. We didn’t want string anybody along, and play that type of game in recruiting. He wanted to Georgia, and he knew it. That’s why we pulled the trigger early.”
Who finished as runner-up to UGA? “He had like a top five or six. He had Washington, Florida State, Alabama, Stanford and Notre Dame in there. He had been to all those places. I know he’s very young, but he has seen all those schools and visited them. And he had done the tours. All the players he talked told him, ‘You’ll just know the right one when you visit all the schools because it will feel like home.’ And that’s the way it felt like at Georgia. He didn’t want to leave this weekend. He really didn’t want to leave from there.”

BONUS QUESTIONSIt looks like Jacob will try to be a leader for UGA’s 2016 class and recruit other top prospects? “I think you already saw that. Jacob and Big Ben were kind of a package deal. We came from Washington, and we came all the way down here to play in the SEC. Jacob was smart enough to make friends with Ben Cleveland, about the biggest left tackle you’re going to find. They roomed together at the Rivals camp in Baltimore, and have been texting back and forth. I think that’s a pretty unique situation with two of the top 10 guys in the country committing together. And they did that after dinner in the press box on Saturday. It was a great family type of atmosphere.”
A lot of people saw that play where Jacob flicked his wrist and the ball rocketed 65 yards. How strong is his arm? “Actually I chewed him out after that session. I was like ‘Dude, why didn’t you throw a completion?’ He said, ‘Dad, Bobo asked me to throw it deep. So I chucked it.’ So I said that was fine. I don’t know. He has a quick release for a big guy, and he can flick it 65 yards without blinking an eye. It’s very rare when you have to throw the ball that far down the field but I guess if you have to, you can. And the good thing is that the Bulldogs are going to find some specialty guys to run underneath those high bombs.”
How often will Jacob try to get back to UGA for unofficial visits? “His official visit is not until his senior year. During football season, I don’t know if we have a bye week, and if Georgia has a game that same week. We’ll see where Georgia goes for a bowl game. I’m sure he will want to come back for a camp. He had a lot of fun at Dawg Night, so maybe we’ll come out for Dawg Night again and he’ll sling it around. We’re going to keep in contact with the coaching staff and we’ll see how many times we’ll get connected this season.”

georgiaguy31015
07-22-2014, 08:47 PM
Two huge gets.

Optik
07-24-2014, 03:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StqrMg7VgZo

Dawgilicious
07-24-2014, 05:31 PM
I read the Seattle Times story to get their perspective. The reader comments were entertaining.

One reader in particular stated Eason didn't stay home because he was scared of the plethora of highly rated QBs already at UDub. Hello?! I guess we have chopped liver in Bauta, Ramsey, and Park, huh....

UW doesnt really run a pro style like we do either. Petersen will have Miles back there for a few years and he is def a mobile QB

lbzdually
07-28-2014, 09:55 PM
Rivals released their top 100 and Eason was #2 and Cleveland #3. Does UGA have any chance with the #1 player, Nate Craig or any of the other top 10.

xAuBuRn
07-28-2014, 10:03 PM
Rivals released their top 100 and Eason was #2 and Cleveland #3. Does UGA have any chance with the #1 player, Nate Craig or any of the other top 10.

Nate is an Auburn commitment.... seems pretty solid ( OSU the one threat). Demetris Robertson is an Alabama commitment, but some think Georgia will be in it long time till singing day.

Optik
11-11-2014, 02:44 PM
I don't want anyone to forget about this kid, he is UNREAL. He has a NFL-caliber as a sophomore in HS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr59uQgVdFY

Here are his highlights from the first game of the state playoffs, watch this first throw. Eason rolls out away from a sack, stumbles, doesn't set his feet and flips it down the field all arm, for about 55 yards or so for jump ball TD placed so that only his guy could get it.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2018903/highlights/199404392

All opposing SEC DCs need to be recruiting top-flight DBs like their lives depend on it or this kid is going to tear their secondaries to shreds.

Coal_UGA
11-11-2014, 03:04 PM
His true freshman year (assuming no transfers) we are looking at:

R - SR - Bauta
R - JR - Ramsey
R - So - Polk

How will next year's QB competition effect effect Eason's commitment.

Assuming Ramsey wins the starting job, Eason could be looking at not starting until his R - So. year.

Assuming Polk wins the starting job, Eason could be looking at not starting until his R - Jr. year.

Optik
11-11-2014, 03:17 PM
His true freshman year (assuming no transfers) we are looking at:

R - SR - Bauta
R - JR - Ramsey
R - So - Polk

How will next year's QB competition effect effect Eason's commitment.

Assuming Ramsey wins the starting job, Eason could be looking at not starting until his R - So. year.

Assuming Polk wins the starting job, Eason could be looking at not starting until his R - Jr. year.

I expect Ramsey to beat out Park for the job next year, but it could go the other way. I do not expect any outcome to have any effect on Eason's commitment whatsoever, he is locked in to UGA, I'll find some quotes from him and his dad from the last few weeks.

FWIW, Ramsey is incredibly talented as well so if Park, being a year behind him, can beat him out and start, he is probably leaving a year early anyway so Eason is probably looking at RS Soph at the latest either way. I don't believe he has any issue with that, he seems to understand the playbook is much larger and more difficult than what he has now and he could use the time to simply learn it.

GDawg88
11-11-2014, 07:12 PM
I don't want anyone to forget about this kid, he is UNREAL. He has a NFL-caliber as a sophomore in HS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr59uQgVdFY

Here are his highlights from the first game of the state playoffs, watch this first throw. Eason rolls out away from a sack, stumbles, doesn't set his feet and flips it down the field all arm, for about 55 yards or so for jump ball TD placed so that only his guy could get it.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2018903/highlights/199404392

All opposing SEC DCs need to be recruiting top-flight DBs like their lives depend on it or this kid is going to tear their secondaries to shreds.
Hard to tell from the video if his arm is Stafford-tier, but it's certainly impressive. What stood out to me most was that he seems to make very quick reads.

lbzdually
11-12-2014, 08:32 PM
He is very similar to Stafford, especially in his ability to change his release point and still have tons of velocity on his throws. Remember how Stafford would almost sidearm throws around defensive lineman into throwing lanes, no make that windows?

Optik
12-10-2014, 04:05 PM
Eason, a 6-foot-6, 215-pounder with a big arm, reminded me of Matthew Stafford, our No. 1 quarterback and No. 6 overall back in 2006, from the moment I saw him. While Stafford wasn't quite as tall and was more filled out than Eason, the similarities from their mechanics to throwing motion and even to mannerisms on and off the field are hard to ignore. So perhaps it's no coincidence that Eason is headed to Athens to play his college ball like Stafford did all those years ago.
Eason replaces Tampa (Fla.) Tampa Catholic wide receiver Nate Craig-Myers, who was injured early in his junior season and didn't have much of a chance to retain the top spot. However, Craig-Myers will have many more evaluation periods to reclaim his status as king of the 2016 class and will be pushed by many others.
--Mike Farrell

If there is one quarterback in the 2016 class who is college ready, it's Eason, who has phenomenal size and possesses a spectacular arm. The Georgia commit has great velocity and also fantastic accuracy. He can throw a football through a brick wall but also knows how to put touch on passes down the seam and to hit receivers in the short, intermediate and deep game. Georgia's coaches have compared him to Stafford and the comparison at the same stage is not far off at all. In his junior season, Eason threw for 2,829 yards with 32 touchdowns and three interceptions and completed nearly 70 percent of his passes. He could be huge in Athens.
-- Rivals.com West Recruiting Analyst Adam Gorney